What's new

General/Other - Ermac Ermac General Discussion Thread

I'm j..........just gonna walk away now. If thats considered hostile nowadays I think thats the best for me to do. D3 is just a very quick poke and I cant attest to what you see online, if you were looking for someone to just agree that people are stupid then sure why not.

I should have just left your post alone to begin with, answering you just gets nowhere.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Is 222 Ermac's fastest string that cna be used to punish? I'm having so difficult punishing scorpion teleport and lui kangs flying kick bc the push back is too far? Am I just free to those openings? :O Can't even d2 haha
222 for sure punishes both of Scorpion's teleports. Just go to training mode to get the timing. You can also punish the teles with F21d2, as well. I have a Scorp training partner, and these worked out fine for me.
Liu Kang- mmmm, 222 may not work. I've only tried punishing Dragon's Fire flying kick and I wasn't able to use 222. I do not know if the flying kick is safe. You'll have to check the frame data and find a punish for that. Personally, I haven't labbed that yet.

I'm j..........just gonna walk away now. If thats considered hostile nowadays I think thats the best for me to do. D3 is just a very quick poke and I cant attest to what you see online, if you were looking for someone to just agree that people are stupid then sure why not.

I should have just left your post alone to begin with, answering you just gets nowhere.
Damn, you really are melodramatic. I don't know if there's ever been a time when starting a reply to a simple rebuttal with "FFS" hasn't been considered unnecessarily hostile demeanor. Yeah, maybe you should just walk away so this doesn't turn into a soap opera.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
D3 is + on hit and fast, if the opponent does anything but block it, they will eat another.

People you are taking 60% from with this move are trying to attack whilst like -15 or something (can't remember exact hit adv)

D3 is + on hit and fast, if the opponent does anything but block it, they will eat another.

People you are taking 60% from with this move are trying to attack whilst like -15 or something (can't remember exact hit adv)
Alright, that explains it. Feels cheap doing it, but also a little fun, especially when they block my BnBs. Seen the double amount of quittalities since I started doing it :p

zaf

professor
Is Ermac D3 broken/abuseable, or are people just really, really stupid? I've taken people from like 60% health just spamming it, without them blocking. Is it broken, or are people really that stupid?
No it is not broken. Abuseable? Possibly yes. Depending on your opponent.
Maybe people you are playing, are just mashing and are not aware that they are at negative frames.
Pretty much what Temjiin said already
A lot of people are afraid of the overhead so they stand block a lot ( even though he has a low combo starter as well )
So do not be surprised to see D3 hit a lot more then it should.

Is 222 Ermac's fastest string that cna be used to punish? I'm having so difficult punishing scorpion teleport and lui kangs flying kick bc the push back is too far? Am I just free to those openings? :O Can't even d2 haha
As far as the frame data goes, Yes Standing 2 is the fastest start up move.

You can hold block while trying to punish. Try this and see if it helps you. You can get all the information for this in this thread:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/option-select-tech-part-2-punishes-counterpokes-and-interactables.50769/

zaf

professor
So other then my failed execution in the Sonya matches anyone else have input on it ?
I will only be playing a sonya offline this weekend.
Let me get to play the match up a bit more and then I can get back to you.

EDIT1: actually let me make and sticky a thread directly for this type of conversation.
Ill add your video and tag you.
It will be better so that videos and information are not overlooked or lost.

EDIT2: There ya go , check out the thread I just tagged you in. This should be a lot more helpful for all of us.

Last edited:

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
No it is not broken. Abuseable? Possibly yes. Depending on your opponent.
Maybe people you are playing, are just mashing and are not aware that they are at negative frames.
Pretty much what Temjiin said already
A lot of people are afraid of the overhead so they stand block a lot ( even though he has a low combo starter as well )
So do not be surprised to see D3 hit a lot more then it should.

As far as the frame data goes, Yes Standing 2 is the fastest start up move.

You can hold block while trying to punish. Try this and see if it helps you. You can get all the information for this in this thread:
http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/option-select-tech-part-2-punishes-counterpokes-and-interactables.50769/
FML is this why punishes seemed impossible for me?

Afumba

Noob
You can punish his Flying Kick with 222 or f21d2 - this is for his Dualist and Flame Hands Variations.
I dont think Ermac can punish the one in his Dragons Fire Variation though. Its -8 or so on block.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
How are you guys dealing with crossups?

I just started picking up Ermac. I really like his neutral B12 B124 and f34 are great. The one thing that keeps crippling me is characters up close crossups.

How are you handling this as ermac? I find I have to pre-emptively NJP and his NJP range is not great. I guess I could run or dash out, but is there a more punish option?

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
I've had my issues with it. You can d1 sometimes, d4 or stand 2 but those are all very situational. Usually I'll either burn meter for ex db1 or I'll try to dash in the opposite direction.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
You can punish his Flying Kick with 222 or f21d2 - this is for his Dualist and Flame Hands Variations.
I dont think Ermac can punish the one in his Dragons Fire Variation though. Its -8 or so on block.
Unfortunately, everyone online plays dragon's fire. :( Im so free

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Unfortunately, everyone online plays dragon's fire. :( Im so free
Try and check him with a d3 after you block flying kick. Its a good way to stop his momentum. LK does not have a good poking game against Ermac. You can also mix it up with d3xforce- blast, but not too often cause force-blast is really unsafe on block. Its not a very bad MU for Ermac once you get used to it.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
How are you guys dealing with crossups?

I just started picking up Ermac. I really like his neutral B12 B124 and f34 are great. The one thing that keeps crippling me is characters up close crossups.

How are you handling this as ermac? I find I have to pre-emptively NJP and his NJP range is not great. I guess I could run or dash out, but is there a more punish option?
D1 and d4 are really good AA's against happy cross-up jumpers. I ve even AAed with d3 sometimes. D3 especially is very good to use to lower your hit box and whiff punish them. It causes many jk's to whiff cause of Ermac's hit box in that state. I generally go with d1 though. Old habit from MK9.

My thoughts about Ermac's normals, and punishing tools.
im having enormous troubles punishing stuff.
For instance, if enemy pushes Ermac even slightest none of our reversals work: lift is 12 frames on start up, teleport even more, soul ball somewhere there, basically only reversal left that is viable is soul burst, which is 10 frames, fastest we have, but it also has downside that it has pathetic reach, and if already mentioned pushback is present then it's useless.
For instance, Kung Jin was abusing me with his stupid staff spin for weeks and i couldnt punish it. After long hours i discovered in lab that the only viable punish for it is ex lift which is 12 frames on start up. but it is also useless against -10 or -11 moves or faster moves.

Ermac's 2 is supposedly his fastest hitting normal at 8 frames, and in theory it should absolutely work for punishing -12 moves. But there is this weird transition which tom brady recently mentioned, that it requires 1 frames to cancel block to normal, on top of that, i cant punish consistently with 2.
I don't know, maybe it's my execution, but i just keep pressing 2 after i release block immediately after enemy's hit on my block and my 2 doesn't seem to come out.
People are getting away with absurdly unsafe specials and strings. Im not saying im bad at punishing, because i tested other characters 8 frame jabs and they work perfect, they are coming out fast, and consistently. Unlike Ermac's 2. What im getting at... maybe there is error in frame data and 2 is not 8 frames at all? That would have explained my issue with punishing, but it is unlikely that there is an error with it...
For example, Kung Jins bf2, is -12 on block. I have no trouble punishing it with 10 frame special - soul burst, but i cant punish it with 8 frame jab - 2. Where is logic in that??
Im just not sure how to punish stuff with Ermac. In mk9 almost none of the cast's specials had these absurd pushback distance, it was easy punishing with almost all moves, especially 12+lift. But in mk10 everyone has this pushback and the only tool we have for punishing enemies at that kind of distance is EX lift at 12 frames. (MoS). Mystic though has it without 1 bar & EX. which is good, but not decisive factor.

Last edited:

Afumba

Noob
My thoughts about Ermac's normals, and punishing tools.
im having enormous troubles punishing stuff.
For instance, if enemy pushes Ermac even slightest none of our reversals work: lift is 12 frames on start up, teleport even more, soul ball somewhere there, basically only reversal left that is viable is soul burst, which is 10 frames, fastest we have, but it also has downside that it has pathetic reach, and if already mentioned pushback is present then it's useless.
For instance, Kung Jin was abusing me with his stupid staff spin for weeks and i couldnt punish it. After long hours i discovered in lab that the only viable punish for it is ex lift which is 12 frames on start up. but it is also useless against -10 or -11 moves or faster moves.

Ermac's 2 is supposedly his fastest hitting normal at 8 frames, and in theory it should absolutely work for punishing -12 moves. But there is this weird transition which tom brady recently mentioned, that it requires 1 frames to cancel block to normal, on top of that, i cant punish consistently with 2.
I don't know, maybe it's my execution, but i just keep pressing 2 after i release block immediately after enemy's hit on my block and my 2 doesn't seem to come out.
People are getting away with absurdly unsafe specials and strings. Im not saying im bad at punishing, because i tested other characters 8 frame jabs and they work perfect, they are coming out fast, and consistently. Unlike Ermac's 2. What im getting at... maybe there is error in frame data and 2 is not 8 frames at all? That would have explained my issue with punishing, but it is unlikely that there is an error with it...
For example, Kung Jins bf2, is -12 on block. I have no trouble punishing it with 10 frame special - soul burst, but i cant punish it with 8 frame jab - 2. Where is logic in that??
Im just not sure how to punish stuff with Ermac. In mk9 almost none of the cast's specials had these absurd pushback distance, it was easy punishing with almost all moves, especially 12+lift. But in mk10 everyone has this pushback and the only tool we have for punishing enemies at that kind of distance is EX lift at 12 frames. (MoS). Mystic though has it without 1 bar & EX. which is good, but not decisive factor.
You mean Kung Jins Flying Kick right? If so, you can punish it with 2. In my experience though you cant spam it out after block as it would make it come out too late at times. Honestly i go by sound on this particular exmaple here... Kung Jins Flying Kick does a weird scratching sound. I hit 222 after the scratching fades. Works for me.
But i agree with you on the part that it doesnt feel like an 8 frame move. I find it easier to do Soul Burst as well. Without the frame data i would have guessed that they are both at the same frames.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
I really wish I could get rid of the AWFUL b2 move.

LIKE i cant do b21 on the kombo list
I ALWAYS get the stupid charge move that has like77987987 frame start up and get owned for it

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Only good thing I've found about b2 is being able to dash cancel it. Otherwise it's just there for fake outs and swag combos. I almost never use it.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Looking to pick Ermac as a secondary but I'm having trouble with his block strings, they all seem to leave me free?

Any1 found anything that leaves me safe? I use MoS.

Another thing, how do you bait out opponents who like to turtle & d2 all day with Ermac?

Cheers

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Walk up F4 will get them to stop doing that. Or just hover stomp from full screen until they decide to so some thing about it. Most if not all of Ermac's ideal strings leave him at 0, or -1

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
Random question has anyone thought of timing the last 2 hits of f34 to be meaty on someone's wakeup to beat out armor moves ?

Afumba

Noob
Random question has anyone thought of timing the last 2 hits of f34 to be meaty on someone's wakeup to beat out armor moves ?
Its too slow for most wake-ups i think. I tested this a few days ago against Sub, Ermac and Kung Jin. Only thing i was able to beat was the Subs Hammer. Its even too slow to make wake-up ExSlide whiff.
So it has to be a reaaaally slow wake-up.