What's new

OPTION SELECT TECH Part 2 ( punishes, counterpokes and interactables)

zaf

professor
Hey everyone!

I found out about this last week, just thought it was commonly known. So i decided to make a video and show everyone.

While holding block in a block string, you are able to mash out your poke while blocking and once the string is over your poke will come out on pretty much the first available frame (while you are still holding block). Check the video for a more in depth look. ( thanks Ribbz for letting me steal this paragraph)

Here is the first thread that was created by Ribzz:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/option-select-tech-poking-normals-specials-input-while-holding-block-seems-legit.50755/

- You can do this during gaps on strings with special moves.
( this was brought to you by @RiBBz22 )

- You can punish with this
- You can counter poke
- You can MB interactables.
- When you have no meter, interactables will still happen but you can/will be hit out of it.

@Tom Brady
@R.E.O.
@Pig Of The Hut
@Jer
@Ecodus
@STORMS
@CrimsonShadow
@colt

Let me know if I should tag anyone else please.

Mikotto

Boon Pls.
Wait, so I get a damaging breaker for 1 bar if I'm positioned properly? That doesn't sound like it's intentional.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
I really think it's a bug, not a "option select". Makes no sense to be able to attack while holding the block button. Just makes absolutely no sense or what so ever. lol

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
If it's a bug, I really hope it's impossible to fix (just like the input bug in MK9) because I want this in. Makes playing online 838238239% easier.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I really think it's a bug, not a "option select". Makes no sense to be able to attack while holding the block button. Just makes absolutely no sense or what so ever. lol
Said no SF player ever. Except this game is not SF.
I'm afraid that's it's not a bug tbh. So much for half of midgames involved in pressure.

It's like NRS wants us to play "hit with poke, do 50/50" exclusively when we are up close.

Last edited:

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Said no SF player ever. Except this game is not SF.
I'm afraid that's it's not a bug tbh. So much for half of midgames involved in pressure.

It's like NRS wants us to play "hit with poke, do 50/50" exclusively when we are up close.
Of course no SF ever said that. You don't need to hold a button there to block... This comparison just made absolutely no sense at all because of this simple fact.

But maybe you're right. Maybe that's the desire of NRS after all.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Of course no SF ever said that. You don't need to hold a button there to block... This comparison just made absolutely no sense at all because of this simple fact.

But maybe you're right. Maybe that's the desire of NRS after all.
Someone does not know that street fighter 4 has absolute guard. In that game, unlike 3rd strike, if you block the first hit of a true block string, you can let go of block and the ai will block the rest of the string for you. So if you mash dp while in absolute guard, if the opponent drops a link, your dp comes out. Its an option select similar to what is being demonstrated in the first post. This does not work in 3rd strike because it does not employ an absolute guard system; you let go of block you will get hit.

Next time, make sure you know what you are talking about before you make a comment that makes you look foolish.

Last edited:

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Someone does not know that street fighter 4 has absolute guard. In that game, unlike 3rd strike, if you block the first hit of a true block string, you can let go of block and the ai will block the rest of the string for you. So if you mash dp while in absolute guard, if the opponent drops a link, your dp comes out. Its an option select similar to what is being demonstrated in the first post. This does not work in 3rd strike because it does not employ an absolute guard system; you let go of block you will get hit.

Next time, make sure you know what you are talking about before you make a comment that makes you look foolish.
Obviously I know SF4 has absolute block. So what? That doesn't change the fact that game doesn't have a block button, right? And that's what I said after all. I have no clue where you took the idea of me not knowing about absolute block came from. If the game doesn't have a block button you can't bring it to this table and compare it with MK. Because if you have to press a button to block, it just makes no sense be able to throw a punch/kick while holding the god damn block button. Plus no fighting game in history will block the rest of a string if you let go the block and that particular string has low/overhead variations. Absolute guard or not. So what you are saying isn't accurate.

Last edited:

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Obviously I know SF4 has absolute block. So what? That doesn't change the fact that game doesn't have a block button, right? And that's what I said after all. I have no clue where you took the idea of me not knowing about absolute block came from. If the game doesn't have a block button you can't bring it to this table and compare it with MK. Because if you have to press a button to block, it just makes no sense be able to throw a punch/kick while holding the god damn block button. Plus no fighting game in history will block the rest of a string if you let go the block and that particular string has low/overhead variations. Absolute guard or not. So what you are saying is isn't accurate.
That right there tells me you don't know what absolute guard/block is and how it applies to this example.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hey everyone!

I found out about this last week, just thought it was commonly known. So i decided to make a video and show everyone.

While holding block in a block string, you are able to mash out your poke while blocking and once the string is over your poke will come out on pretty much the first available frame (while you are still holding block). Check the video for a more in depth look. ( thanks Ribbz for letting me steal this paragraph)

Here is the first thread that was created by Ribzz:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/option-select-tech-poking-normals-specials-input-while-holding-block-seems-legit.50755/

- You can do this during gaps on strings with special moves.
( this was brought to you by @RiBBz22 )

- You can punish with this
- You can counter poke
- You can MB interactables.
- When you have no meter, interactables will still happen but you can/will be hit out of it.

@Tom Brady
@R.E.O.
@Pig Of The Hut
@Jer
@Ecodus
@STORMS
@CrimsonShadow
@colt

Let me know if I should tag anyone else please.
This changes everything

Reactions: zaf

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Of course this isn't intentional. How are some of you even debating in your minds that this was out in on purpose.

Was watching the first segment of the video and thought "wow that's really useful" and was happy of the possibilities competitively. Then the intractable segment happened.....

If there was ever a need to hotfix something asap, this would be the time. That's flat out ridiculous.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
If the game doesn't have a block button you can't bring it to this table and compare it with MK. Because if you have to press a button to block, it just makes no sense be able to throw a punch/kick while holding the god damn block button.
If game uses b for blocking, why isn't that good enough of a block button to you?
Interface or making subjective "sense" is isn't really the focus here, the point being that I don't see how it's a good idea to allow the game to make decisions for players and react to things automatically in such a genre as FGs.