What's new

Can...Will MKXL & Injustice 2 Co-Exist?

NRS is going to support the game up to a certain point but then it's up to us. We as a community must decide whether 2 NRS titles can exist at once. Sure you'll complain about what's bad in MKX and what doesn't need to be in I2 when it comes out. But what if they keep MKX like it is? What if they just happen to decide to make I2 however the fuck they want to make it? It's their studio and their game so they have the right to do that don't they? All this negative talk about "I'm gonna drop this game if blah blah blah blah..." is what hurts the scene. The fact that you're dropping the game means you already bought it so NRS doesn't really give a shit. You think it matters to them that SFV has 3000 entrants and MKX had 300? Tournaments don't put money in NRS's pockets...sales do. And last I checked MKX blew SFV away in that department. So just take what your favorite fighting game studio gives you and make the best of it. All this negative talk only hurts us in the end.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Smash says hi.
Smash was dead for almost a decade until it got voted in at EVO. It re-energized the community and they made their own separate tournaments until some TOs begrudgingly accept Smash into their lineup. And Sm4sh is starting to overtake Melee in popularity. The example of Smash is not applicable here.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Look at what WB (not necessarily NRS) did to us PC players. I'd say that's a good indication that they're simply going to do what's in their best interest. If they think they can squeeze out a few more bucks through more combat packs, then they might continue to support MKX. But I'd wager my left nut they're going to drop MKX like a bad habit as soon as that Injustice microtransaction money starts pouring in. And if they stop supporting it, MKX will die off like every other NRS title.

coolwhip

Noob
I think literally each and every one of these questions can easily be answered by looking at out track record and history.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Smash was dead for almost a decade until it got voted in at EVO. It re-energized the community and they made their own separate tournaments until some TOs begrudgingly accept Smash into their lineup. And Sm4sh is starting to overtake Melee in popularity. The example of Smash is not applicable here.
This.

Although the smash community is VERY passionate. Something that we, the NRS community, lack.

Osirun

www.powerupfighters.org
I will be dropping MKXL entirely once IJ2 comes out. I expect NRS to switch all support to IJ2 upon release, and perhaps we will even see IJ2 in ESL. To me, this really comes down to generating sales of the new content and reciprocation from NRS/WB. For NRS/WB to stay interested in the community of competitive players, that community must show interest in the new game. That's my opinion.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Smash was anything but dead. They've always had their own tournaments, including majors, had a very successful documentary, and they support each other regardless of whether or not they're part of the FGC.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Smash was anything but dead. They've always had their own tournaments, including majors, had a very successful documentary, and they support each other regardless of whether or not they're part of the FGC.
And do you think this community can survive without the attention it gets? See before that faithful evo smash was a niche game w a community that kind of kept to itself. Not much twitch exposure, rarely ever see major smash tournies alongside normal fgc games.

This community thrives off of the spotlight. That's why weekly tournaments are pretty much non existent on twitch. Sure they still happen but no one watches, because everyone's too busy watching whoever the most popular PS4 streamer is at the time, trying desperately to get games to have their time in the spot light.

We should look up to the smash community. We could really learn from them.

We are in an entirely new era of nrs games. We had bad netcodes before, which for me at least is the main reason i stopped playing the past 2 games. I have a feeling that when i log onto mkxl in a few years there will still be people to play. The same cant be said for the previous 2 games.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
And do you think this community can survive without the attention it gets? See before that faithful evo smash was a niche game w a community that kind of kept to itself. Not much twitch exposure, rarely ever see major smash tournies alongside normal fgc games.

This community thrives off of the spotlight. That's why weekly tournaments are pretty much non existent on twitch. Sure they still happen but no one watches, because everyone's too busy watching whoever the most popular PS4 streamer is at the time, trying desperately to get games to have their time in the spot light.

We should look up to the smash community. We could really learn from them.
I'm curious to see how the community evolves. We said we wanted equal treatment from TOs, better netcode, and more entrants. We got all 3 (mostly), but now it comes down to sheer dedication and our relationship to the games.

I think one of the toughest things has been that every game is completely different, and so it's been harder for people to build momentum behind a series as a whole. Even say, Smash 4 and Melee, while they have a lot of differences in execution, are still closer in concept than say, Injustice and Mortal Kombat 9. Likewise SF4 and SF5, while very different, resemble each other a lot more than MK9 and MKX.

Can't predict what's going to happen, but it seems like we're still looking for something to coalesce around.

REDRUM

www.twitter.com/redrum26
technically YES... but not really.... its that simple... WB and NRS will start to gear all marketing and eSports money towards Injustice... So any one who understands economics should understand what will happen with MKX....

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If NRS games stop getting support from NRS, our community loses interest. Therefore, the only way they can really coexist, is if NRS supports both games. Otherwise, everyone will eventually drop MKXL.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
I'm starting to think you're a contrarian. I may have exaggerated the timeframe as it seemed longer ago than 2010 but my point still stands.

After the MLG scandal, competitive Smash couldn't show its face anywhere and the scene died at a national level. It survived on a grassroots level because of the games inherent popularity and thus when EVO offered the chance for redemption it was a "if you build it they will come" moment. But for all intents and purposes, competitive smash was dead in all but a handful of cities with low turnout, low payout tournaments. Very few streams of their events and certainly little to no sponsorships. It's not applicable to MKX because MK just doesn't have that grassroots appeal. In any given area you can probably drive an hour at most and find a sizeable smash playgroup. Same can definitely not be said for MKX. Can't really fault the community for that as it doesn't have nearly the same casual draw as Smash by design.

EDIT: For further proof of how dead the Smash scene was read about it here. One of the most notable tournaments in 2011 had 100 entrants. Don't know how you can call that anything but dead.

Last edited:
Smash scene is more than just melee isn't it? I thought before the donation drive brawl was the game getting more entrants than melee which was part of the reason smashboards was a bit divided at least until the evo donation drive.

Look at what WB (not necessarily NRS) did to us PC players. I'd say that's a good indication that they're simply going to do what's in their best interest. If they think they can squeeze out a few more bucks through more combat packs, then they might continue to support MKX. But I'd wager my left nut they're going to drop MKX like a bad habit as soon as that Injustice microtransaction money starts pouring in. And if they stop supporting it, MKX will die off like every other NRS title.
Dude, if you're spelling kombat pack with a "c", then don't expect much support from NRS lol!

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
The answer is no.
Injustice will have the bigger pots bonuses.
Tournament players are all about the money.
It won't die right away, but it will die.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I'm starting to think you're a contrarian. I may have exaggerated the timeframe as it seemed longer ago than 2010 but my point still stands.

After the MLG scandal, competitive Smash couldn't show its face anywhere and the scene died at a national level. It survived on a grassroots level because of the games inherent popularity and thus when EVO offered the chance for redemption it was a "if you build it they will come" moment. But for all intents and purposes, competitive smash was dead in all but a handful of cities with low turnout, low payout tournaments. Very few streams of their events and certainly little to no sponsorships. It's not applicable to MKX because MK just doesn't have that grassroots appeal. In any given area you can probably drive an hour at most and find a sizeable smash playgroup. Same can definitely not be said for MKX. Can't really fault the community for that as it doesn't have nearly the same casual draw as Smash by design.

EDIT: For further proof of how dead the Smash scene was read about it here. One of the most notable tournaments in 2011 had 100 entrants. Don't know how you can call that anything but dead.
Maybe I'm just looking from a different perspective. This is my 'home' FG scene, and when I found it with MK9 at the end of 2011, we were lucky to get 100 entrants at majors. It'd happen a few times, like NEC, EVO, and a couple MLG's (not all of them), but in general we weren't often breaking 100 players at majors.

But we were most definitely NOT dead. We had a core of passionate people that loved the game and were eager to compete -- and if we only had 68 people at a major, it was going to be an exciting and memorable 68 man tourney that'd be talked about for weeks.

If the rest of the FGC didn't care about MK9, we did, numbers or no.

So when somebody tells me that a community which managed to bring 100 people to their own, separate tournament (apart from any other organization or the FGC), and that's 'dead' I just don't see it. Maybe it was a lower point for them, but clearly they were passionate enough to keep the fire burning on their own -- and it paid off.

They were also passionate enough to produce The Smash Brothers documentary around that same time, which came out in 2013 and is by far the most in-depth grassroots gaming doc I've seen to date. And it stoked the flames.

I guess it all depends on what you're used to, but the Smash community has always kept the torch burning in one way or another, however many people they had, and it's paid off for them in spades.

Last edited:

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
I guess it all depends on what you're used to, but the Smash community has always kept the torch burning in one way or another, however many people they had, and it's paid off for them in spades.
I can agree with that.

I usually draw the line at sponsored events and sponsors willing to invest in players for their merit in that game since a tournament with attendees can really fit the description for just about any game. For example, Team Spooky usually hosts a tournament for a random shitty game. One year it was Shaq Fu. I think it's disingenuous to say because there was a 50ish person joke tournament that Shaq Fu has a "scene."