What's new

Johnny Cage must not be normalized.

Should Johnny Cage be normalized?

• Yes, but only Show Stopper.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Can't believe how the title of this thread is still not "Downplaying Johnny".
I agree with the retitle though, dese Johnny mains are ridiculous!
Never did I suggest that Johnny Cage is anything but a top tier character. And he is not my main character either. LOL.

I recommend the two of you actually read the first post instead of making assumption.

Never did I suggest that Johnny Cage is anything but a top tier character. And he is not my main character either. LOL.

I recommend the two of you actually read the first post instead of making assumption.
I was being sarcastic bruh and mocking zooberg or whatever his name is.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Cassie and frost probably. Her nades stop his zoning and trade well. Cassie can use low guns to do the same. Dragon made fox switch immediately with kitana.

Poke into rising star can be punished by all of them.

I don't remember which tournament I just remember people mentioning it.

Hey at least if you're right and cage is top we will have a skillful character on the top. Not potato geras and Liu kangs - who both have top tournament usage when I last checked.
Cassie? Frost? Didn't u watch Ninja and Kombat vs Semij? That was a mop.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Outtake, and Cage alltogether loses free to

Jade
Frost
Jacqui
Cassie
Sonya
Kitana

This just of the top of my head, but there are more.

You should care because Outtake was thrown in the blender for people to argue about it and forget to FIX THE FKN HITBOXES that run Shock Jock into the ground.
And because Outtake is getting all the coverage, literally nobody cares or speaks about the character breaking whiffs.
Jade? Is that because of the purple thing? Just because of that purple thing doesn't mean she can't get zoned. A lot of times she uses that she's putting her self on risk. On footsies it's even. Up close the same thing. And don't forget Cage's shadow kick super fast to reversal a lot of things that jade does.

Frost. Your zoning is way faster and way more spammable. Even if she tries to use her divekick your projectile will hit her. You have as good range as her.

Jacqui. She gets zoned out. And up close you have fantastic pokes to stop her.

Cassie. Watch ninjakilla and Kombat vs Semij.

Kitana. This one I have no idea how the MU goes.

Jade? Is that because of the purple thing? Just because of that purple thing doesn't mean she can't get zoned. A lot of times she uses that she's putting her self on risk. On footsies it's even. Up close the same thing. And don't forget Cage's shadow kick super fast to reversal a lot of things that jade does.

Frost. Your zoning is way faster and way more spammable. Even if she tries to use her divekick your projectile will hit her. You have as good range as her.

Kabal main here with JC sparring partner. To add Kabal to the list, My Mean Streak is no match for his Outtake. Other 2 variations are a bit easier with diagonal buzzsaw. My MS kills his Showstopper though.

Wigy

There it is...
What a hypocrisy from all these Johnny mains, talking about whiffing when literally the whole cast has something that whiffs on Johnny because of his crouch block stance.

Can't believe how the title of this thread is still not "Downplaying Johnny".
I guarantee you every single Johnny player on here would be happy to give up his low couching hitbox for a fix to his hitboxes.

Frost's grenades are very fast on startup, higher damage and knockdown for plus 40. At the very least shuts down any attempt at spamming and he'll be left just being able to check you fullscreen. Ive not seen high level play but on KL cages have tried and failed to zone me out. Cage can also not check frost with anything aside from a poke after a divebomb.

There was another game where a Cassie shut down a Johnny at a recent tournament. You can't base things off one placement.

Semij also hasn't been able to compete with the rest of the big names in this game. I would like to see a proper top level player pick up these characters.

How does Jacqui get zoned out. She just sits in the duck region and can dash punch or b2 check him.
Fantastic pokes, you mean the ones that get low crushed by her 9f mid lol.

Not to say he's not top but lord he probably does have a bunch of checks that aren't being explored. Also I'll take top tier Johnny over the rest of potato s tier

Wigy

There it is...
He just got 5th at a stacked NEC, 2-0'ed Rewind and eliminated Dragon 3-1.. Wtf?
I didn't know that I admit fault. Totally wrong on that but he hasnt been nearly as dominant as Inj2.

Just checked pro league and he's not top 10. That's all I meant, the other players are just slightly better.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I didn't know that I admit fault. Totally wrong on that but he hasnt been nearly as dominant as Inj2.

Just checked pro league and he's not top 10. That's all I meant, the other players are just slightly better.
So basically if he's #12 then the MU gameplay means nothing, but if he was #10 or #9 then let it rock? :coffee:

Hmmmm......

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm saying one game with a guy who looses more often than not to the top players doesn't dictate a matchup.
He's a loyalist though. He's losing mainly to guys who will pick any flavor of the week character to win (Liu, Geras, now Johnny, etc)

I just don't agree with saying Semij isn't a top player. He's placed at 4 majors (including EVO) in half a year's time.

Imo he's the best actual Cassie main, and he's earned the right to demonstrate MUs at a high level. The fact that he sticks to her when everyone else has dropped her shouldn't devalue his gameplay at all.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo

I'm glad you said all this cause I generally don't have the energy for the antics/lying of some of these Cage players. It's super silly. Jade beating Johnny has always been mythological and is even more so now in the current meta of the game.

I wanna add to some of what you said, some Cage players cry their eyes out about his force balls whiffing, but they all work on Jade's hitbox. They're crickets for that or his low profiling poke that can make Jade's best mid whiff or his capability to restand into massive damage versus Jade who does generally 18% for consistent damage and off crushing blows or her 28 frame overhead she can get in the 30's. Glow activation can be punished super far out too with shadow kick.

Some people think if they have to play even a fraction different the match up is an issue which is both odd and sad. Jade is a phantom bad match up to justify Cage and realistically 5-5 for Cage and definitely not losing. He has too much going for him. I also used to secondary Cage and always held my own and generally beat Jades more than they beat me with my Cage.

Just nerf him already so people can move on to the next character to cry about.

People acting like he is the second coming of MK9 Kabal and Street Fighter 4 Sagat.

Yet Cage players are the ones who are crying.

lmaooo.

Espio

Kokomo
Just nerf him already so people can move on to the next character to cry about.

People acting like he is the second coming of MK9 Kabal and Street Fighter 4 Sagat.

Yet Cage players are the ones who are crying.

lmaooo.
Character is fine being top, but people just need to stop white knighting and pretending he loses to a million characters. I like Cage and Outtake but people acting like he is a mediocre mid tier aren't any better than people claiming he is unstoppable. It's two dishonest narratives and you don't deal with one dishonest narrative by advocating another lol.

Character is fine being top, but people just need to stop white knighting and pretending he loses to a million characters. I like Cage and Outtake but people acting like he is a mediocre mid tier aren't any better than people claiming he is unstoppable. It's two dishonest narratives and you don't deal with one dishonest narrative by advocating another lol.
I haven’t seen any Cage mains saying he’s mid tier, even the guy you are probably talking about in your comment admits that he’s top.

All dude has ever really wanted was hitbox fixes and has been called a downplayer for it because “every character has them and his hitbox is fucked too.”

More people are acting like Johnny is MK2 Shao Kahn than they are saying he’s mid tier.

I think the biggest fear for cage mains have is that he will be nerfed as a character overall and not just outtake.

Espio

Kokomo
I haven’t seen any Cage mains saying he’s mid tier, even the guy you are probably talking about in your comment admits that he’s top.

All dude has ever really wanted was hitbox fixes and has been called a downplayer for it because “every character has them and his hitbox is fucked too.”

More people are acting like Johnny is MK2 Shao Kahn than they are saying he’s mid tier.

I think the biggest fear for cage mains have is that he will be nerfed as a character overall and not just outtake.
Top tier when people think he loses like ten match ups and to all the females? Somehow I don't think that's a coherent message that is being sent. I don't know anybody who would list a character loses to such a portion of the cast and actually believes they are top tier. That's contradictory.

If it was simply hitboxes as the only issue that is what most people want is the wonky hitboxes on all characters addressed. Nobody being reasonable wants Cage over nerfed or anything like that. Kombat's nerf suggestions are problematic as they nerf so many good traits in a punitive way. That's part of the problem. The problem is two fold though and people would benefit from acknowledging that it isn't just the knee jerk reaction nerf everything brigade that is causing this twisted narrative.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Top tier when people think he loses like ten match ups and to all the females? Somehow I don't think that's a coherent message that is being sent. I don't know anybody who would list a character loses to such a portion of the cast and actually believes they are top tier. That's contradictory.

If it was simply hitboxes as the only issue that is what most people want is the wonky hitboxes on all characters addressed. Nobody being reasonable wants Cage over nerfed or anything like that. Kombat's nerf suggestions are problematic as they nerf so many good traits in a punitive way. That's part of the problem. The problem is two fold though and people would benefit from acknowledging that it isn't just the knee jerk reaction nerf everything brigade that is causing this twisted narrative.
Can you please link me the suggested nerfs that combat mentioned? Thank you

Espio

Kokomo
Can you please link me the suggested nerfs that combat mentioned? Thank you

Starting post 115 has it.

Wigy

There it is...
I really have to ask who says this cause legit every cage player I see on here says he's top. Most of the downplay is addressing certain outlandish claims then people on here just assume you think he's C tier.

I really have to ask who says this cause legit every cage player I see on here says he's top. Most of the downplay is addressing certain outlandish claims then people on here just assume you think he's C tier.
That’s because even if you slightly disagree with their narrative you are a downplaying scrub.

there’s no in between lol.

Espio

Kokomo
You have people saying he loses to around ten characters in your forum. All females plus complaints about Erron and others.

That's cool people say he's top tier, but you can't say someone is top then say they lose free to six characters and then lose to others. Some of the comments were made in this thread within the last couple pages and have gone ignored and not challenged. MD does it and I've seen it before. I also defend Cage and have done so in this thread. I don't think he needs these absurd suggested nerfs either.

Similarly, I made a point denouncing Kombat's nerf suggestions but certain Cage players ignore that and reply with "people are scrubs for disagreeing with a narrative lol". If that's the takeaway from what I said then that's not my problem. I don't have a narrative. I'm just tired of seeing two extreme points of view advocated.

Last edited: