What's new

Question Who is the best zoner?

Who in your opinion is currently the best zoner in the game?

• Alien - Acidic

• Kenshi - Balanced

• Kitana - Royal Storm

• Kitana - Assassin

• Kitana - Mournful

• Mileena - Piercing

• Jacqui - Full Auto

• Tanya - Pyromancer

• Leatherface - Pretty Lady

• Predator - Hish-Qu-Ten

• Shinnok - Boneshaper

• Shinnok - Necromancer

• Erron Black - Gunslinger

• Liu Kang - Flame Fist

• Quan Chi - Summoner

• Triborg - Cyrax

• Triborg - Sektor

• Alien - Konjurer

• Sonya - Special Forces

• Triborg - Cyber Sub Zero

• Kano - Cybernetic

• Tremor - Aftershock

• Sonya - Demolition

Results are only viewable after voting.

NHDR

Noob
Gunslinger Erron zones? I always thought of him as more of a mixup character with some okay zoning tools.

EDIT: I think you're talking about who plays the best keep-away, no? Because even characters who don't play keep-away can zone.

omooba

fear the moobs
u cannot keep opponent full screen in this game. in sf4 u can. mk9 u can. injustice u can. please dont... this game dominates in rushdowns... jumps... mixups
there is no zoning
you gav reasons for ur opinion
i told u y ur reasons are wrong
then u just restate ur opinion
good convo i'm out

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Wait am I really the only one who tried out zoning with cyber sub ? The far,mid,close bombs plus ice ball spam full screen is kinda fun lol. .

Reactions: GAV

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Wait am I really the only one who tried out zoning with cyber sub ? The far,mid,close bombs plus ice ball spam full screen is kinda fun lol. .
Cyber Sub is a great zoner. Bombs and ice balls force your opponent to run in then you can punish with F2 back into more zoning. He zones any non-zoners and anti-zones any true zoners.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I'm so confused how did other characters get on the ist? I don't mind I'm just confused lol

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I actually agree and disagree. Some zoners in this game struggle due to everything you mention. That's NRS to blame not making zoning tools sronger on some variations.
IMO, the way they did it is perfect.

You can't play keep away from start to finish, but smart zoning can carry you to the threshold of winning. You just gotta show a little versatility to get the finish.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
1) Pretty Lady is underrated

2) Despite widespread complaints about how bad zoning is in this game, there are actually plenty of decent zoners.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
IMO, the way they did it is perfect.

You can't play keep away from start to finish, but smart zoning can carry you to the threshold of winning. You just gotta show a little versatility to get the finish.
Unless you play balanced Kenshi. There is a difference between smart zoning and reading someone's mind. Balanced Kenshi has to do the latter against most of cast to win against even slightly competent opponents. It's embarrassing that none of his specials were buffed last patch, in fact the only special buff was to the parry which further backs what I'm saying: they want you to be able to read your opponents mind from start to finish.

The only "versatility" Kenshi has is a low starter and junk for plus frames which is Kotal bull shit. Btw I'm not trying to imply that you think balanced is good or anything, you might totally agree with me I just don't want people to think that Balanced Kenshi players are just stupid zoners.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Unless you play balanced Kenshi. There is a difference between smart zoning and reading someone's mind. Balanced Kenshi has to do the latter against most of cast to win against even slightly competent opponents. It's embarrassing that none of his specials were buffed last patch, in fact the only special buff was to the parry which further backs what I'm saying: they want you to be able to read your opponents mind from start to finish.

The only "versatility" Kenshi has is a low starter and junk for plus frames which is Kotal bull shit. Btw I'm not trying to imply that you think balanced is good or anything, you might totally agree with me I just don't want people to think that Balanced Kenshi players are just stupid zoners.
Balanced's original design was the one character variation that could play keep away by zoning without making many errors. I actually think they have something in store for Kenshi, but it isn't going to be by directly improving his frame data; Instead, I think they'll add a move that rounds him out. There are extra animations/filmed movements for Kenshi that can be used, but I think its tricky in making it not look awkward. I think before its said and done, Kenshi will get a new move across all his variations. I don't have any data or inside info suggesting so, but I found it odd that he wasn't touched at all even though he's considered doody tier across all three communities - online, in tourneys, and here. Added moves never comes with new characters. Remember when Kotal Kahn was buffed? I think it will be like that and he'll get something subtle - like a stance across all three variations that improves frames, meter gain, or improves his mobility.

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
@GAV I sincerely hope so. I was actually kinda thinking that the buffs Kenshi got last patch were kinda "for now" if you what I mean. It didn't make sense to buff the other two variation (possessed is now ok and Kenjutsu is actually really solid at the moment) and kind of just ignore Balanced which has been the worst of the three variation and been at the bottom of the cast basically since launch. This kinda left me thinking more would be in store and I really hope that's the case GAV.

Otherwise I will kick and scream like 4 year old if there are no changes to Balanced next patch.