What's new

Question Who is the best zoner?

Who in your opinion is currently the best zoner in the game?

• Alien - Acidic

• Kenshi - Balanced

• Kitana - Royal Storm

• Kitana - Assassin

• Kitana - Mournful

• Mileena - Piercing

• Jacqui - Full Auto

• Tanya - Pyromancer

• Leatherface - Pretty Lady

• Predator - Hish-Qu-Ten

• Shinnok - Boneshaper

• Shinnok - Necromancer

• Erron Black - Gunslinger

• Liu Kang - Flame Fist

• Quan Chi - Summoner

• Triborg - Cyrax

• Triborg - Sektor

• Alien - Konjurer

• Sonya - Special Forces

• Triborg - Cyber Sub Zero

• Kano - Cybernetic

• Tremor - Aftershock

• Sonya - Demolition

Results are only viewable after voting.

GQJ

Noob
The best zoner is the one that is most viable at the highest level against the other top tier / tournament characters, not the character who can spam projectiles full screen to make you come to him and then have a difficult time or struggle in a lot of match-ups.

There's a pretty big difference not many players seem to understand.
Care to elaborate? For science? (But mostly for me)

I pretty much always play FF like this though my up close game is generally a bit better. She had such a hard time dealing with my zoning that I got lazy up close lol.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
There's zoning in MKX? :p For me it's Sektor. His projectiles come out arguably the fastest or among the fastest, I know it's still fresh with triborg but out of all the DLC he can easily keep people out, while space the best. That's not to say there aren't a few others in the game who can zone, but it's also no secret MK X is lacking in zoners compared to MK 9.

Last edited:

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Out of everyone on that list, it's gotta be Mileena. At least until Acidic and/or Pretty Lady start winning on a regular basis.
I give it to her over Summoner because it's yet to be proven that he can still dominate at the same pace as he did pre-patch. On paper, I don't see anyone matching those two.

Out of everyone on that list, it's gotta be Mileena. At least until Acidic and/or Pretty Lady start winning on a regular basis.
I give it to her over Summoner because it's yet to be proven that he can still dominate at the same pace as he did pre-patch. On paper, I don't see anyone matching those two.
Really? I've never had an issue vs Mileena's zoning. I outzone her and she tries to tp every time. With that said, I have yet to see a Mileena use instant air daggers. Get your game up mileena players.

Nexallus

From Takeda to Robin
Why isn't Buzz Saw Kung Lao or Ancestral Kung Jin in this List? Or even Inferno Scorpion for that matter. I thought they were considered Zoning variations at one point :(

Goat-City

Banned
Why are results only viewable after voting? Doesn't that encourage people who don't have an educated opinion to vote randomly just to see the results?

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
Yeah he is lol
He is space control character not a zoner , try to win with him sitting fullscreen vs someone like hqt or pretty lady,sektor...

So he is a zoner but gets outzoned by most of the zoners in this game ? Nope,hes just not a zoner .

He is space control character not a zoner , try to win with him sitting fullscreen vs someone like hqt or pretty lady
Okay so you're saying Acidic can't zone out HQT or Pretty Lady. That's cause those variations are superior zoners. But Acidic can still do some damn good zoning vs other chars like Bo Rai Cho and Kotal Kahn ect. Acidic still zones very well, lol.

Espio

Kokomo
Um why is Assassin and Royal Storm on here? isn't their zoning the same? Or am i just dumb, lol.
No, it's not the same aside from instant air and ground fans. Royal Storm has the long ranged lift and reflect, which are nice in footsies and counter zoning. Additionally, RS has square wave to check duckers.

Assassin has better damage and chip with sharpen(this also helps her offensive game since any move that uses her fans from throws to strings, to normals are buffed up, not just projectile wise) and has Assassin dash to blow up ducking. The parry helps her deal with most armor moves and long ranged advancing mids reasonably well.

It's just a different style of zoning and defensive play.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The best zoner is the character who best puts and keeps you at that character's optimum range to attack and defend.

Its about controlling space; Zoning doesn't have to necessarily have to revolve around keep-away.

MKX has no character that can just keep characters out and do nothing else. Its designed with rewarding player versatility.

That doesn't mean it has no zoning though. Zoning is a huge part of MKX. Great zoning is rewarded in MKX, but supplementing it is a must.

By design, MKX is anti-spamming, but not anti-zoning.

So since Street fighter, killer instinct, have full screen projectile invincible moves there's no zoning in those games. Aight makes sense
u cannot keep opponent full screen in this game. in sf4 u can. mk9 u can. injustice u can. please dont... this game dominates in rushdowns... jumps... mixups
there is no zoning

No, it's not the same aside from instant air and ground fans. Royal Storm has the long ranged lift and reflect, which are nice in footsies and counter zoning. Additionally, RS has square wave to check duckers.

Assassin has better damage and chip with sharpen(this also helps her offensive game since any move that uses her fans from throws to strings, to normals are buffed up, not just projectile wise) and has Assassin dash to blow up ducking. The parry helps her deal with most armor moves and long ranged advancing mids reasonably well.

It's just a different style of zoning and defensive play.
Ah I see, thanks for the info.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Really? I've never had an issue vs Mileena's zoning. I outzone her and she tries to tp every time. With that said, I have yet to see a Mileena use instant air daggers. Get your game up mileena players.
Most Mileena players online in my experience are, for lack of better words, the bad kind of booty. I don't she's the best because she's overwhelmingly strong; I think she's going to pan out to be the best because she has the most diverse set of tools with which to control the screen. At their base, zoners are supposed to make you fear for your every step and press of a button and overthink in ways other characters can't, and Piercing does that in a more unique and mindgame-heavy way than anyone else from that perspective. As has been said elsewhere, there are certain MU's like her that you have to have a whole different set of pants on for, ala Grandmaster, HQT, Aftershock, Sorcerer, Ronin and so on where you're not just dealing with frames or reactions, you're dealing with a completely unorthadox battleplan.