What's new

Which Takes More Skill, Zoning or Rushdown?

Which take more skill, zoning or rush down?

• Zoning

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Rush Down

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 42.9%

• Total voters

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I feel it's easy to zone but harder to be good at it. Most zoning characters have weaker aspects usually like defense or something. But ultimately I think it depends on the game. In mkx I think rush down is a lot easier

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Actually I use this tactic on zoners myself and it never fails lol. The prob;em for them is when I outzone them they try to rush me down and that's when they get destroyed. I bait the zoners into actually playing, then I rush them down.
Proper zoners in this game do not have mixup options or very bad ones, that is actually how you're suppose to beat kitana and kenshi. The good kitana/kenshi players will walk in slowly to try to bait you to do an error to get a life lead again. Kitana's/kenshi's best options are usually from jump ins which smart players won't do since those are so easy to bait.

If you personally think it's that simple you can give kitana/kenshi an overhead starter that leads to a full combo. I'd be fine with that.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Then wtf are you complaining about if it's so easy to overcome?
Its the waste of thread space that this site allows for people to glorify an inferior tactic of playing as if it has the same value and respect as offensive/rushdown gameplay. Its misplaced and only encourages more zoning scrubs to flood the already shitty gaming pool.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
@NY-Shadow stop posting it is clear you dont know what you are talking about in the slightest whenever you post and all you do is talk shit and insult people, and when people retort you spout the same bullshit, you are an online scrub, every post i see from you gives me cancer. so i will just go ahead and block you due to how you never contribute jack shit to anything and constantly insult people and how they play, then say you are the good guy of tym.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Truth is more offensive/rushdown gameplay should be encourage and zoning discouraged. we all know and agree that no one really likes to play with a zoner more than one or two matches because its stupid and boring. We all know how much fun, intense and rewarding offensive gameplay can be and is why the game really survives.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
This is all dependent on the player IMO. For one person rushdown might be harder to utilize, but can can zone all day long, while another person might have a more difficult time trying to zone but can lay the rushdown pressure on for days with ease. So I don't think one takes more skill than the other, its all based on the individual, IMO.

Its like trying to ask which takes more skill, basketball or football, there really isn't a right answer.

Last edited:

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
@NY-Shadow stop posting it is clear you dont know what you are talking about in the slightest whenever you post and all you do is talk shit and insult people, and when people retort you spout the same bullshit, you are an online scrub, every post i see from you gives me cancer. so i will just go ahead and block you due to how you never contribute jack shit to anything and constantly insult people and how they play, then say you are the good guy of tym.
Then you should be dead by now if every post of mine has given you cancer you crybaby.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Its the waste of thread space that this site allows for people to glorify an inferior tactic of playing as if it has the same value and respect as offensive/rushdown gameplay. Its misplaced and only encourages more zoning scrubs to flood the already shitty gaming pool.
You're being delusional. Learn the difference between actual zoning and online projectile spam then come back(or don't) please.

Espio

Kokomo
NY Shadow is my favorite shit poster lol.

As per the topic, I find both to be challenging and rewarding depending on the characters chosen and the match ups. I've always had a lot of fun embracing different playstyles. I usually try to main one zoner and one rushdown/pressure character in every game I play nowadays for the sake of fun and variety.

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Dayum. Defensive game is not even existent in TYM inflammatory forums. Curse you, MKX! Curse you!!!

Edit: I voted both. If you can out zone someone in rush-down oriented game - that is skill. Though to rush down also requires skill. But playing defensive - that requires AWESOME skill!

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Thing is zoning is one dimensional, once your opponent gets through your zoning you're done and out of options. On the other hand, offensive rushdown is dynamic and naturally two dimensional because if you're opponent is able to escape your rushdown you can always zone and still have the advantage of being able to rushdown at a moments notice opening. Zoners can't do that and that's what makes their strategy weak in the end. Its like a boxer versus a kickboxer one has more options that the other and a better core strength than the other that is only skilled in one venue.

E

Eldriken

Thing is zoning is one dimensional, once your opponent gets through your zoning you're done and out of options. On the other hand, offensive rushdown is dynamic and naturally two dimensional because if you're opponent is able to escape your rushdown you can always zone and still have the advantage of being able to rushdown at a moments notice opening. Zoners can't do that and that's what makes their strategy weak in the end.
Who are you to claim that someone is done once someone gets past their zoning? You're pretty much saying anyone who relies on zoning has no defensive capabilities and that's absolute nonsense.