What's new

Which Takes More Skill, Zoning or Rushdown?

Which take more skill, zoning or rush down?

• Zoning

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Rush Down

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 42.9%

• Total voters

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
Rushdown takes more skill hands down. MK players in general since MK9 have become more zoners because its easier to sit back and react to a move than to know a characters moveset so well that you can variate different strings and attacks in millisecond decisions to keep the pressure on someone. Zoning only requires a player to wait, constantly block and respond with projectiles when its safe. Not much skill in that. In your face pressure is where the skill is really at, there is a rhythm to pressuring and a real in depth knowledge of your character's moveset, recovery and startup time. Most of the best players are pressure/offensive players. Even my mother can zone. So get these zoning chumps out of the conversation of trying to legitimize their hesitant-to-engage-low-skill-level-lazy mindset. Zoning is for newbies. Veterans who use zoning as their main strength and tactic are really not good players overall. Truth be told. Anything contrary is nothing more than bullshit.
I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree that top players that zone are not good players. That certainly was not my intent in making this thread.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree that top players that zone are not good players. That certainly was not my intent in making this thread.
I said players who's main strength is zoning are not overall really good players. The best players can all zone, but their strength and skill lies in their rushdown ability. The better a player is at rushdown the better overall that player is, regardless if they can zone as well.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The rush down in Mortal Kombat X is one of the best and easiest in the history of fighting games while zoning barely exists.

Among scrubs (see this post for an exemplar) zoning is always frowned upon when in reality zoning has been nonexistent in most modern fighting games. The situation will deteriorate even more. Just read what high level players are saying about Street Fighter IV. Zoning has more or less died. Scrubs have won the war on zoning.

Israfel

Designer for BxA
Rushdown takes more skill hands down. MK players in general since MK9 have become more zoners because its easier to sit back and react to a move than to know a characters moveset so well that you can variate different strings and attacks in millisecond decisions to keep the pressure on someone. Zoning only requires a player to wait, constantly block and respond with projectiles when its safe. Not much skill in that. In your face pressure is where the skill is really at, there is a rhythm to pressuring and a real in depth knowledge of your character's moveset, recovery and startup time. Most of the best players are pressure/offensive players. Even my mother can zone. So get these zoning chumps out of the conversation of trying to legitimize their hesitant-to-engage-low-skill-level-lazy mindset. Zoning is for newbies. Veterans who use zoning as their main strength and tactic are really not good players overall. Truth be told. Anything contrary is nothing more than bullshit.
@Pig Of The Hut @General M2Dave Zoning is for newbies???

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Yes. Where are they on the winners list? Exactly, they suck. Why do they suck? Well because they have chosen to use zoning as their main strength. So once their opponent closes in on them they are done. BTW, M2Dave? really? That guy is like newb-cry-downplay status, why even mention him.Look at Sonic foxes Erron Black rushdown, that's real pressure and real skill.

haketh

Noob
Nice, you just exposed all the people that liked your comment as fools. Solid post, unless you're serious.
I've been competing in games long enough & in a wide varieity of games & styles to say that their is no higher skill ceiling for either at all.

Yea i forgot who won evo too.....

Again #Dumb

What other intelligent zingers do you have?
Why are you wasting time with people that contribute nothing constantly that just troll you

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
@NY-Shadow

You may be the newest dummy on TYM, do you realize some characters are designed to be defensive and some offensive?

Sounds like to me just another scrub who can't punish a - 44 move on whiff or -17 launcher upclose

Figures actually cause until your post I never heard of you, probably won't either.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
@NY-Shadow

You may be the newest dummy on TYM, do you realize some characters are designed to be defensive and some offensive?

Sounds like to me just another scrub who can't punish a - 44 move on whiff or -17 launcher upclose

Figures actually cause until your post I never heard of you, probably won't either.
Shouldn't you be creating another Kenshi needs more buffs thread. Don't be mad at me for your poor choice of fighting style that has left you broke and further from winning anything outside a livingroom fathers day macth with your kids.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I have successfully done both at the highest level(can i get some props???). It's a wash. Just depends on the match up.
You've played Kitana and Catwoman at a high level. If they're both equal, which would you say is more satisfying?

Zoning takes more skill because you do have to predict where the opponent will be, with rushdown, you just have to wait for the opponent to make one mistake and then ez whiff punish into knockdown pressure

Wigy

There it is...
The rush down in Mortal Kombat X is one of the best and easiest in the history of fighting games while zoning barely exists.

Among scrubs (see this post for an exemplar) zoning is always frowned upon when in reality zoning has been nonexistent in most modern fighting games. The situation will deteriorate even more. Just read what high level players are saying about Street Fighter IV. Zoning has more or less died. Scrubs have won the war on zoning.
You just mad cause you don't have freddy to cheese your way to easy wins anymore :coffee::DOGE

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Shouldn't you be creating another Kenshi needs more buffs thread. Don't be mad at me for your poor choice of fighting style that has left you broke and further from winning anything outside a livingroom fathers day macth with your kids.
Interesting timing

I just closed on buying a beach house today in Hilton head 100 yards from the beach

Cool story bro, peace

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Zoning takes more skill because you do have to predict where the opponent will be, with rushdown, you just have to wait for the opponent to make one mistake and then ez whiff punish into knockdown pressure
Predict where the opponent will be? lol Yeah across the screen from you while you stay far away and shoot. By the time you punish the whiff, if you do, you've lost like 65% of your health and another 25% from chip damage. lol please, you must be a total projectile spammer that rage quits when they can'r escape pressure.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Interesting timing

I just closed on buying a beach house today in Hilton head 100 yards from the beach

Cool story bro, peace
Yeah cool, I can do that online in a room too. Check it out, Hey what timing, I just bought a new fishing boat and a beach house in Malibu. lol