What's new

Which Takes More Skill, Zoning or Rushdown?

Which take more skill, zoning or rush down?

• Zoning

Votes: 51 28.0%
  • Rush Down

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Both

Votes: 78 42.9%

• Total voters

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
It depends on how strong the character is on the department, if he is good at zoning or rushdown.

Although MK9 Kuh Bawl was both, so he the reason he didn't had bad MU in first place, was because characters strongers against his rushdown, were weaker in zoning, and the ones strong against his zoning were weaker against his rushdown.

But on well balanced characters, either zoning or Rushdown will take a good amount of skill.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Depends. When I see HQT just stand fullscreen and fire stupid projectiles all day it's not really impressive in anyway. Even Shinnoks and their hellsparks coupled with the super legit pushback on the projectile is frustrating and extremely easy to pull off.

As for rushdown, the very fact that most top players (online casusal players too rofl) have a pocket Lao kinda shows how easy it is to be "rushdown fool"

Watching D'vorah and Johnny doing their thing is sweet, especially given the execution. Watching Gunslinger, Balanced or Sorcerer doing their work is also quite interesting.

Generally zoning is the more difficult of the two IMO

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Spamming is a strategy of both actually. Spamming bats and runes will give you good zoning. Spamming run cancels will give you good rush down.
I don't really know how you spam run cancels as they require execution. Db1 is a lot easier to repeat effectively than multiple well done SKRCs in quick succession.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I don't really know how you spam run cancels as they require execution. Db1 is a lot easier to repeat effectively than multiple well done SKRCs in quick succession.
What I understand by spamming is repeating certain moves multiple times in a row, regardless of execution skill. For example, spamming NDC's with Kabal was way harder than spamming RC's with Johnny Cage, but they didn't really jail (except standing 2 I think). Liu's block infinite is also a rush-down spamming technique comprised of a particular set of moves in a row etc. Also, I do agree, zoning with Quan in MKX is harder than zoning with Superman or Sinestro in Injustice.

Last edited:

Error404

Noob
In MK X It's about even. In most games zoning is easier because you have more space to work with and 1 mistake from full screen usually won't kill you.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I highly doubt pressuring someone with Kobu Tanya takes the same amount of skill as zoning with any character in this game.

I totally forgot about her. She's has to be up there with Quan Chi as far as stupidity goes.

Last edited:

RagingRicans

NetBattles
Depends on the character imo. I respect Dhalsim zoning more ( reads and normal placement) than HQT Predator ( plus frame fast recovery lasers).

How strong a characters specific tool set will correlate how effective they are in neutral.

So, yeah, if a zoner has high recovery fireballs and short limbs it takes a lot more skill to win imo. Vice versa if a rushdown character has heavy mix ups, long reaching normals and plus on block....its safe to say they will have an easier time winning.

Last edited:

Israfel

Designer for BxA
I enroll in the prestigious Zoning University but I respect both forms of fighting. Each take an equal amount of skill/reads to be successful.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
Rushdown takes more skill hands down. MK players in general since MK9 have become more zoners because its easier to sit back and react to a move than to know a characters moveset so well that you can variate different strings and attacks in millisecond decisions to keep the pressure on someone. Zoning only requires a player to wait, constantly block and respond with projectiles when its safe. Not much skill in that. In your face pressure is where the skill is really at, there is a rhythm to pressuring and a real in depth knowledge of your character's moveset, recovery and startup time. Most of the best players are pressure/offensive players. Even my mother can zone. So get these zoning chumps out of the conversation of trying to legitimize their hesitant-to-engage-low-skill-level-lazy mindset. Zoning is for newbies. Veterans who use zoning as their main strength and tactic are really not good players overall. Truth be told. Anything contrary is nothing more than bullshit.

Schuyler

Noob
It depends on the character. I mean just look at injustice evo 2013 that zonning didn't look that skillful to me. But if your going in with batgirl that rush down doesn't look that skilfully. But I say overall rushdown.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
It depends on the character. I mean just look at injustice evo 2013 that zonning didn't look that skillful to me. But if your going in with batgirl that rush down doesn't look that skilfully. But I say overall rushdown.
Batgirl was a special case of OP-broken-pressure and zoning.