What's new

What makes mk so simple?

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I think MKX is easy to pick up in general. I feel like it's simple in the sense that players and characters can run extremely effective flowcharts and perform well. The hardest part for me to understand has always been the defensive side of things. I'm just not comfortable with it in this game like that. I think when it's compared to other games like Marvel, SF4, Kof, Tekken, it's less complex.

My opinion don't bash for nothing btw please kthx :)
/bashes

The anime games are a different type of fighter within themselves. Compared to most 2D and 3D fighting games.

-Easy execution for the most part

-Lack of defensive options making it easier to start and sustain offense.

-Overwhelming abusable advancing safe fast normals by many characters limiting depth of strategies. (NRS come on bruh)

-Overwhelming abusable specials by many characters limiting depth of strategies.

-Full combo starting unreactable 50/50s that can be made safe on block, or even plus on block for a second attempt, or third attempt at times that lead to high damage and advantageous pressure after.

-Way too much armor.

-Too little consistent AA's.

-Too many plus frames on block leading to 40%.

-Corner too deathly and too easy to get them in it.

-Oki strong and easy when opponent has no meter.

-etc

There's a lot of reasons, but when all these things combine it gives people an argument. Not saying I fully agree, but I understand.
i mostly agree.

you forgot barely anti-airable full-screen jips, gigantonormous hitboxes on many attacks (mainly njps, also distributed quite uneven between chars), dedicated footsie moves tha advance half-Screen, are safe and even hit you out of crossjump attempts with their 360 degree hitboxes.

There was a time when I thought that MK is a simple fighting game... Untill I started playing Liu Kang in MKX and learning such things as FBRC, IAFB and canceling Shaolin Flame into Whirlwind Punches.

Also, I still remember MKvsDCU and Liu Kang's kombos with 2 and more BKs in a singel combo. That was actually hard, Pro-Moves was a fun thing.
they should have brought that back to raise the execution barrier for huge damage a bit

Not saying MKX is hard to play, but I definitely disagree with the statement that MKX is simple.

MKX has introduced the stamina meter while already having an ex meter. Breakers, run, backdashes, interactables all require stamina so there is some stuff to learn.

There is also no wakeup invincibility in this game and you require meter to do a wakeup attack with armor. This fact and the fact that meter carries over to the next round makes meter management really important imo. On top of that you need meter to convert into a full combo a lot of times and it is often hard to get out of pressure without meter. The wakeup system also has delayed wakeup which imo is pretty unique, because it allows you to avoid mixups and punish people whiffing when you are on the ground.

FGC veterans like aris have said before when MKX got released that MKX is not a simple game and there is a lot of stuff to learn.

VOR

Noob
Fighting games in general are simple. I prefer simple execution, relatively speaking, but more complex matchups, hitboxes, which strings can i neutral duck, frametraps, etc. There are other games i feel are more simple in those departments. Top players of NRS games do have a lot of knowledge in those regards.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Who said MK is simple never played into a competitive level, MK is just as complex as any fighting game out there, it just has different mechanics and a block button.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The scrub's answer is that you can spam in mk and win.
The non-scrub response shouldn't be too far from that simple response either:

While Street Fighter is geared towards having to train so you don't just throw out random shit because every move counts,
Mortal Kombat is geared towards having to train reacting to people throwing out random shit.

Who said MK is simple never played into a competitive level, MK is just as complex as any fighting game out there, it just has different mechanics and a block button.
The mechanics are simpler. Fact. The wake up frame data and hurtboxes are way more normalized than other games. And the block button removed an entire category of mixups. It's not simple, it's just simpler than a lot of other fighting games.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The mechanics are simpler. Fact. The wake up frame data and hurtboxes are way more normalized than other games. And the block button removed an entire category of mixups. It's not simple, it's just simpler than a lot of other fighting games.
Seriously, the first guy who drops in this thread and tell MKX mixup category got removed due the block button, should stop playing this game now, MK has just as many option as any other game with different mechanics.

Seriously, the first guy who drops in this thread and tell MKX mixup category got removed due the block button, should stop playing this game now, MK has just as many option as any other game with different mechanics.
So you can cross up people to mix them up in MK? You can fake cross up in a corner? You can alter your meaty timings to change which direction people have to block on wake up? Please tell me how to do this in MK.

MK has less options on offense because of game mechanics. It's why the 50/50s are so strong and the throws are deliberately harder to tech. It'd be borderline impossible to open up a solid defensive player without the overwhelming normals MK has.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So you can cross up people to mix them up in MK? You can fake cross up in a corner? You can alter your meaty timings to change which direction people have to block on wake up? Please tell me how to do this in MK.

MK has less options on offense because of game mechanics. It's why the 50/50s are so strong and the throws are deliberately harder to tech. It'd be borderline impossible to open up a solid defensive player without the overwhelming normals MK has.
I knew exactly this was going to be the answer, you're just too blind to see that i have already answered your answer.

Crossup its not the only mixup that exist, i wonder how come someone play SF4 for 5 years and think that Crossup is the only type of mixup

Ovearhead and Low are mixups as well, stagger pressure, walking in and out, to bait buttons its also a mixup option. Hell, even throws are part of mixups.

Crossup is a consequence of back to block mechanic which was made into a mechanic, but there is no way in hell that a game with blockbutton has no mixups.

Play virtua fighter, after a knockdown, if someone stands up fast, you can counter attack with a throw, or a fast staggering mid, either they block crouching and get staggered, or wakeup standing to block the mid and get launched.

They don't tech the landing, you get to extend your combos into a down attack, now its a matter of if they're willing to take a chance

That's a 50-50 oki mixup presented in another game with different mechanics

Lol dude, just sthap.

I never said MK had no mixups. Just that the block button eliminated a type of mixup. Which it did. So MK has all the same mixups -1. Any number minus 1 leaves you with less than you had before. On defense you have to look out for all the same mixups except you never have to think about where to block. That makes it simpler.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I never said MK had no mixups. Just that the block button eliminated a type of mixup. Which it did. So MK has all the same mixups -1. Any number minus 1 leaves you with less than you had before. On defense you have to look out for all the same mixups except you never have to think about where to block. That makes it simpler.
Then correct yourself and say "MK has no crossups" which isn't a problem actually, considering how powerful jumping in in MK, its not meant to open someone up.

In Mk9 was meant to guarantee a standing jail, which improved the blockstring and chip damage, in MKX for some characters it opens for overhead and lows mixups regardless they blocking the jip.

Then correct yourself and say "MK has no crossups" which isn't a problem actually, considering how powerful jumping in in MK, its not meant to open someone up.

In Mk9 was meant to guarantee a standing jail, which improved the blockstring and chip damage, in MKX for some characters it opens for overhead and lows mixups regardless they blocking the jip.
Uh, what exactly should I correct? I said the block button removes depth by limiting offensive options. It's not an opinion it's a basic fact. If that upsets you I guess that's ok, but it's weird. If you're playing MK because you think there's no games more complex than it you are mistaken. You are also mistaken thinking that simpler means worse.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I am so bad at MK, but a functionally solid SF player.

Complexity does not equate to a game being good or bad, or you being good or bad at it. its all in how you mesh. MK is 'easier' but I have the same number of hours in MK (possibly more) that I do in SF and I'm an abysmally garbage mk player, but in SF I have taken games here and there off some very very solid competition.

Shruggles.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Uh, what exactly should I correct? I said the block button removes depth by limiting offensive options. It's not an opinion it's a basic fact. If that upsets you I guess that's ok, but it's weird. If you're playing MK because you think there's no games more complex than it you are mistaken. You are also mistaken thinking that simpler means worse.
I play multiple fighting games and not once i complained about sf or tekken being back to block, i enjoy a game for what it is.

I play multiple fighting games and not once i complained about sf or tekken being back to block, i enjoy a game for what it is.
Dude, I said a game has less mixup options than another game. I didn't insult your mother. Hell, I didn't even insult MK. I'm not sure why you seem to be taking this so personally. I'm not complaining about the block button, I'm just stating that it's a mechanically simpler option than directional blocking. Would you be insulted if I told you that your car is less mechanically complex than a space shuttle? If I say a koenigsegg agera r is less complex than a space shuttle does that mean I think koenigsegg makes bad cars?

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
You should copy and paste this in the other thread talking about the same thing lol. Perfect examples listed.

Mind you, the testers for NRS games are or were previous players with biased balancing because of their mains that has been made known over the past years. That in itself is unprofessional and petty AF

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Dude, I said a game has less mixup options than another game. I didn't insult your mother. Hell, I didn't even insult MK. I'm not sure why you seem to be taking this so personally. I'm not complaining about the block button, I'm just stating that it's a mechanically simpler option than directional blocking. Would you be insulted if I told you that your car is less mechanically complex than a space shuttle? If I say a koenigsegg agera r is less complex than a space shuttle does that mean I think koenigsegg makes bad cars?
This is what i find funny in forum, ppl reads emotions in texts, lol bruh chill, ain't even mad:D

We gud, we gud, is just a debate, no point on getting salty over a videogame, the forum has been pretty toxic already lets not drag ourselves in the same mud.

I respect your opinion.

What opinion? I haven't shared any opinions in this thread.
That made me lol.

Anyway what I think you're trying to say is that my doesn't have the same mixup potential as other games, and what I think Eddy is saying is that the amount of mixups in this game is about the same as the amount of mixups in a game with crossups.

They compensate for the lack of crossups with 50/50s and such.

Did I get that right?

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
To the casual observer, everyone is broken in MKX.

Knowing how things work is paramount in MKX. The more tech you know and the better you can implement it while recognizing the tech of other characters, the better you will be. Knowledge is the most important thing you can have in MKX. Having the awareness to recognize who's turn it is - and to see opportunities - is what MKX is all about. Even when it comes to the more difficult executions, once the tech behind it is understood - it becomes much easier.

Most of the complaining in MKX from players that know is about the netcode. Then, the players that don't jump in to complain about other stuff. Its an offensive game. Some like that design and some don't, but the ones who don't understand are usually the most vocal complainers in terms of this aspect. Those that know understand how to play it to their advantage. Those that don't whine about stuff that doesn't matter.