What's new

Update! 5/5/15 MKX PC Patch has been pulled by NRS/HVS

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
I get how it may seem that way so I'll make it clear.

I will not support any game that doesn't function and as such I am personally boycotting any products ported by High Voltage Studios. Their track record speaks for itself...they have nearly ruined many titles and have done a lot of damage to the reputations of publishers including Netherealm. I will find some way to support Netherealm but I HIGHLY will encourage folks to not support anything with High Voltage Studios involved.

In other words I am urging folks to raise their voice to Netherealm to never hire High Voltage Studios again and if they cannot repair EVERYTHING in the next patch to stop coddling them and do what Konami did and hire another studio to repair their mess competently before more damage to the game's reputation on other consoles and PC can happen. I highly urge folks to voice their concern with HVS and to make it vocal that NRS should never hire them again and that they should seriously consider replacing them if they cannot achieve parity on the PC. If they have a "kind of sort of" solution and it doesn't work across varying processor/graphics cards setups then its time to admit defeat and that this company who has a track record of failing should not be trusted any further with this title.
You know it's bad when you have to appeal for people to look at Konami as the reasonable ones

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
You know it's bad when you have to appeal for people to look at Konami as the reasonable ones
My thoughts exactly. I feel in this instance though...their solution needs to be tabled seriously hinging on whether or not their next patch solves everything including past lingering issues or not. HVS either gets it right or they should be replaced immediately.

Immortal

Blind justice....
My thoughts exactly. I feel in this instance though...their solution needs to be tabled seriously hinging on whether or not their next patch solves everything including past lingering issues or not. HVS either gets it right or they should be replaced immediately.
While i do agree in general. Lets be real here. Thats not gonna happen.

I've been working in this business for past 13 years and this things works always the same. HVS got the contract for porting MK X PC because they offered the lowest price for doing so. And while company PR's of WB and many others like to talk that quality is very important to them - at the end of the day it's always about money and profit.

MK X on PC already made good money (judging by rough numbers of sold copies), probably way more then WB have payed HVS for porting. So now it's only a "damage control mode". They gonna offer us some gifts like - idk free Jason or skins for yesterday failure and thats about it. It's VERY unlikely WB gonna switch developer of PC version now. It makes no sense from business standpoint and that's what matters the most to them.

Why change anything if it makes good money?

You can apply the same logic to NRS. People were really unhappy with MK 9 online but the game sold very well. So we got almost the same with some tweaks for Injustice. Again game sold very well and now we got exactly the same with MK X (mediocre netcode at best). And im pretty sure we gonna get the same (with little tweaking) in IGAU 2 which is now in the works. Nobody is gonna rewrite 3/4 of UE now to make it work with GGPO netcode just so people would have great online experience cuz its time consuming and quite expensive and would mean delays (NRS pushes 1 game per 2 years like clockwork). Why bother if their current product with subpar netcode sells very well. It makes no sense.

Money is everything in corporate world.

Last edited:

shaowebb

Oh lord why...okay. Its downloading for me too apparently. Since my ticket hasn't been solved yet. I'm still out and buying a console instead, but lets just see how this whole thing ends up this time shall we.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
The patch is good so far, people.
I have the 4 DLC characters on the select screen, but can't select any of them of course (I don't have KP).
Performance upgrades are good. Dead Woods and Quan Chi's Fortress don't drop frames for me anymore, but Sky Temple still does drop sometimes. Noticeably less than before, though.
Walk animations are there. Game says it's version 1.38 when it starts and we have the Klassic Subby costume.

I still have to check the frame data, the online experience, and the recording/playback issue.

I still have the memory problem, I just got that windows alert message saying close MKX because of low memory (even though only half my RAM is used -_-) and I still have my weird problem in which the game doesn't allow me to set 1600x900 or 720p.

I never had the controller preset crash problem because I never had to change my settings, so I don't know about that.

While i do agree in general. Lets be real here. Thats not gonna happen.

I've been working in this business for past 13 years and this things works always the same. HVS got the contract for porting MK X PC because they offered the lowest price for doing so. And while company PR's of WB and many others like to talk that quality is very important to them - at the end of the day it's always about money and profit.

MK X on PC already made good money (judging by rough numbers of sold copies), probably way more then WB have payed HVS for porting. So now it's only a "damage control mode". They gonna offer us some gifts like - idk free Jason or skins for yesterday failure and thats about it. It's VERY unlikely WB gonna switch developer of PC version now. It makes no sense from business standpoint and that's what matters the most to them.

Why change anything if it makes good money?

You can apply the same logic to NRS. People were really unhappy with MK 9 online but the game sold very well. So we got almost the same with some tweaks for Injustice. Again game sold very well and now we got exactly the same with MK X (mediocre netcode at best). And im pretty sure we gonna get the same (with little tweaking) in IGAU 2 which is now in the works. Nobody is gonna rewrite 3/4 of UE now to make it work with GGPO netcode just so people would have great online experience cuz its time consuming and quite expensive and would mean delays (NRS pushes 1 game per 2 years like clockwork). Why bother if their current product with subpar netcode sells very well. It makes no sense.

Money is everything in corporate world.
Exactly, you get it, the business reasons behind everything.

@shaowebb Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, but read the above. That's how business works. Your own logic doesn't work out because NRS has no say. NRS is owned by WBIE; they're the decision makers. They decide who does ports, and the keep hiring HVS.

@Immortal's logic is very, very business sound and likely spot on or close enough.

If you want to protest or boycott against all that's happened, you need to do so with WBIE, not HVS. Basically, you need to stop giving WBIE more money. By buying a console and another copy of the game with Season Pass, you're doing the opposite and saying to WBIE that's it okay to do this.

Again, your money, your choice, but this is the truth.

YoShadowFiend

"I will not be so passive, in your demise."
The patch is good so far, people.
I have the 4 DLC characters on the select screen, but can't select any of them of course (I don't have KP).
Performance upgrades are good. Dead Woods and Quan Chi's Fortress don't drop frames for me anymore, but Sky Temple still does drop sometimes. Noticeably less than before, though.
Walk animations are there. Game says it's version 1.38 when it starts and we have the Klassic Subby costume.

I still have to check the frame data, the online experience, and the recording/playback issue.

I still have the memory problem, I just got that windows alert message saying close MKX because of low memory (even though only half my RAM is used -_-) and I still have my weird problem in which the game doesn't allow me to set 1600x900 or 720p.

I never had the controller preset crash problem because I never had to change my settings, so I don't know about that.
Thanks for this dude. I am patching atm

By boycotting the PC version, we probably just convince Warner Bros that the PC version is more trouble than its worth.

The best thing that could happen is that the PC version sells like hotcakes, and then we hope and pray the Warner Bros hires somebody else to port Injustice 2.

shaowebb

Exactly, you get it, the business reasons behind everything.

@shaowebb Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, but read the above. That's how business works. Your own logic doesn't work out because NRS has no say. NRS is owned by WBIE; they're the decision makers. They decide who does ports, and the keep hiring HVS.

@Immortal's logic is very, very business sound and likely spot on or close enough.

If you want to protest or boycott against all that's happened, you need to do so with WBIE, not HVS. Basically, you need to stop giving WBIE more money. By buying a console and another copy of the game with Season Pass, you're doing the opposite and saying to WBIE that's it okay to do this.

Again, your money, your choice, but this is the truth.
While I lack the amount of experience he has I also get this business. I'm an animator remember? Least I was till I wised up, and got a new career to support me in a stable manner as I go indie. I got a lot of college time on the subject and some first hand time at it in the indies working with folks. I preach it enough on these boards and neogaf in defense of developers. Sad to find out WBIE holds the say so over who the port is done through. I thought NRS would have control of that much. I'm still going next gen. It was bound to happen sooner or later and its the safest way to go at this rate since this isn't the first port struggle to PC i've heard of for titles.

I will still boycott HVS though and push for others to do whatever they can to do the same. No matter who is in charge folks need to be sent the message...they hurt the name value of franchises they work on and cashgrab tactics while profitable in the short term can be devastating to companies in the long run. Just look at last gen. How many franchises were ran into the ground or damaged their own reputations to the fanbase? How many studios shut down?

I get why they did this and I get how its profitable but I want folks to understand its short sighted to pursue this kind of profit strategy and that players aren't blind and will eventually stop buying and supporting products handled in certain ways and will not buy titles handled by the studios that have failed in the past at this.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I have the PC version and I guess I am in the minority, but I have had ZERO problems with MKX on PC. I've never lost my save games, I never encountered the krypt lever bug, I get a constant 60fps at all times everything on max 1080p (apart form Xrays, which is hardcoded) it has never crashed. The stream install worked fine.. in fact I thought it was a awesome feature.

I dunno. I can not report on what others have been saying.. but for me it has been completely smooth sailing. I simply have not only experiences no problem, but it has exceeded and impressed me. My time in MKX on PC has been really good. Even the online play is fine.. I mean it is not perfect.. but I have only been playing in rooms with other locals instead of trying to connect to other countries and the connections are totally playable, I mean better than any other NRS game I have tried on the ps3.

It should be noted that by the time I was home from work the patch had been pulled, so I never installed the one they removed and have now just reposted.

ScreamQueen

Rockin' Sindel since '95
Additional Notes:
Old Replay files no longer compatible.
Mobile to console Ninja Mime skin still not unlocked.
Online stats screen has incorrect history, but does appear to be working going forward
Had one match online, was fine, but I've never had any lag problems so I'm not best judge (popped Jason's head clean off his shoulders)
Steam names showing up correctly so far, no strings of numbers. Still takes forever for ping to pop up.
Additional video options include Frame Smoothing and several levels of V-Sync
Playback of 2 matches I just had online both crashed halfway through
"Frame Smoothing" appears to be an option to lock the game to 30fps

Last edited:

shaowebb

Frame smoothing and Vsync has solved my frame rate issues on all settings save for pushing shadows beyond medium which is fine. No problems otherwise. Color me impressed. I didn't really have faith in them to repair this game. Haven't gone online yet, but consistent timing on combos across stages. Could even fireball cancel with Liu Kang at Sky Temple.

I'll eat crow. It works now and after nearly 3 weeks I had not thought with their history they could do this. I will say I feel they gave me no reason to hope this would work in my defense given their track record, and that I won't buy future stuff from them just to be safe...but I'll stop being stubborn. If it works...it works. I'll still go next gen though. This was a wakeup call about the validity of going just PC for next gen since it doesn't always work out. I won't blindly support again, but maybe next time I'll wait until a final patch is out before cutting someone out.

Last edited:

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
Frame smoothing and Vsync has solved my frame rate issues on all settings save for pushing shadows beyond medium which is fine. No problems otherwise. Color me impressed. I didn't really have faith in them to repair this game. Haven't gone online yet, but consistent timing on combos across stages. Could even fireball cancel with Liu Kang at Sky Temple.

I'll eat crow. It works now and after nearly 3 weeks I had not thought with their history they could do this. I will say I feel they gave me no reason to hope this would work in my defense given their track record, and that I won't buy future stuff from them just to be safe...but I'll stop being stubborn. If it works...it works. I'll still go next gen though. This was a wakeup call about the validity of going just PC for next gen since it doesn't always work out. I won't blindly support again, but maybe next time I'll wait until a final patch is out before cutting someone out.
unrelated but, while on the subject- what is vsync i do be afraid to mess with it just in case ?

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
ACTUAL patch notes





























•
•
•
•
•
•
•
•
#bugfixes
#normalized
#

haketh

Noob
I saw a release this terrible for PS3 before.

Zone of Enders HD Collection. Port done by HVS. A different company was brought in fix it later since what HVS released was unplayable.
.......HOLY SHIT IT IS THE SAME HVS HOW DO THESE GUYS KEEP GETTING WORK