What's new

General/Other - Tremor Tremor General Discussion Thread

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
So I'm trying to bite my tongue and not fly off the handle about my block string pressure being taken away from Tremor. M2Dave just said to use AfterShock and the improved air quake. Though in the pressure game his problems are the same. So as calmly and eloquently as I can I will explain my grievance and open the floor to the other Rock Lobster players to offer solutions.

Crystalline: Said by many to be his second best variation. Some said (like myself) it was his most solid one of the three. Crystallization is a great tool in some matchups (cryo sub, Jason etc) ex ground shatter was +11 and could be used to end block strings to further pressure with stand 2 or even F12 if the opponent was scared.

Common block strings with Tremor were F121 (+2 on block) xxx db1 ~ 21d4 xxx db1dd into whatever ender you wanted. Another f121, grab, or another standing 2 for either a 212 string or 21d4u4.

The hole in this was that you could poke Tremor if he went for f1 because the string starts high. So the optimal thing to do was do standing 2 which albeit 10 frame startup was a mid and jailed for the string. Tremor didn't gain any ridiculous meter build, do high block damage and every db1dd cancel took 1 bar of stamina. The good thing was that it let you continue pressure with an otherwise slow character and inch someone to the corner where Tremor can obliterate people.

Now

With standing 2 being a high, imo Tremor has no way to even start pressure without resulting to unsafe measures. In every variation that means doing db3 and trying to advance in hoping the opponent doesn't just block the rock then poke you (which is easy) having nerfed ex shatter to be +5 (why? Quan has the same thing) you can't pressure an opponent because all of Tremor's standing normals are highs. His only viable mid is b1 which has 19 frame startup. You can't even reliably use this in the neutral. If you're lucky enough to hit, you can do b1d4 for a launch.

I know what some are saying. What about Tremor's b3? It has 12 frame startup that's faster than Ermac's. I'm glad you asked. B3 has no range. You literally have to be standing right next to someone for it to hit. Sure you can use b32 for extended range, but as as a block string?that's -14 at best you're gonna get b32 db1 dd and still be in the same situation as before. After db1 dd in block strings or ex ground shatter. There's nothing I can see him doing to continue pressure other than db3 and hoping to god you don't get punished.

So that being said. Tremor mains. What do you got?
There's nothing. D4 is all you have

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
P
yea i mentioned it in patch notes thread, i used the 21d4u4 db2d combo alot also so i feel your pain,
21d4u4 db2 still works midscreen (aftershocks shatter still connects aswell) but the db2 will whiff in corner so you have to try confirm into db2u.

on the positive side of things i dunno what i like most out the changes, its sweet he can get off ground better now but im really loving tremors new bf4 changes :)
ersonally its bf2 cuz u can combo off it now

OmGxBdON

So I'm trying to bite my tongue and not fly off the handle about my block string pressure being taken away from Tremor. M2Dave just said to use AfterShock and the improved air quake. Though in the pressure game his problems are the same. So as calmly and eloquently as I can I will explain my grievance and open the floor to the other Rock Lobster players to offer solutions.

Crystalline: Said by many to be his second best variation. Some said (like myself) it was his most solid one of the three. Crystallization is a great tool in some matchups (cryo sub, Jason etc) ex ground shatter was +11 and could be used to end block strings to further pressure with stand 2 or even F12 if the opponent was scared.

Common block strings with Tremor were F121 (+2 on block) xxx db1 ~ 21d4 xxx db1dd into whatever ender you wanted. Another f121, grab, or another standing 2 for either a 212 string or 21d4u4.

The hole in this was that you could poke Tremor if he went for f1 because the string starts high. So the optimal thing to do was do standing 2 which albeit 10 frame startup was a mid and jailed for the string. Tremor didn't gain any ridiculous meter build, do high block damage and every db1dd cancel took 1 bar of stamina. The good thing was that it let you continue pressure with an otherwise slow character and inch someone to the corner where Tremor can obliterate people.

Now

With standing 2 being a high, imo Tremor has no way to even start pressure without resulting to unsafe measures. In every variation that means doing db3 and trying to advance in hoping the opponent doesn't just block the rock then poke you (which is easy) having nerfed ex shatter to be +5 (why? Quan has the same thing) you can't pressure an opponent because all of Tremor's standing normals are highs. His only viable mid is b1 which has 19 frame startup. You can't even reliably use this in the neutral. If you're lucky enough to hit, you can do b1d4 for a launch.

I know what some are saying. What about Tremor's b3? It has 12 frame startup that's faster than Ermac's. I'm glad you asked. B3 has no range. You literally have to be standing right next to someone for it to hit. Sure you can use b32 for extended range, but as as a block string?that's -14 at best you're gonna get b32 db1 dd and still be in the same situation as before. After db1 dd in block strings or ex ground shatter. There's nothing I can see him doing to continue pressure other than db3 and hoping to god you don't get punished.

So that being said. Tremor mains. What do you got?
I guess just hope they buff his d3, his zoning is amazing though.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
DJT is still mopping everyone on the YOMI streams with Tremor. There still is hope.
Yeah djt playing tremor is the worst thing that could've happened. Tremor was well balanced and they nerfed him because a top 5 player had success

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Yeah djt playing tremor is the worst thing that could've happened. Tremor was well balanced and they nerfed him because a top 5 player had success
Was only able to watch a little bit and it seemed like even people at yomi aren't playing it right. Tremor isn't someone you can just force to play your game which goes against so much of what we saw day 1 and part of the reason why djt has had success. You gotta wait and react to tremor. I still saw one player run in once tremor was in the air. Which is exactly how you eat air quakes all day.

I think the past way to fight tremor is walk and react to anything he does in neutral. Abuse some low pokes. And the moment you touch him don't back off. But be a little patient if you can't continuously do attacks fast to break armor. Djt probably has one of the best neutral games out of the NRS community as of right now and tremor allows him to capitalize on it.

I really hope djt continues to get top 8s with tremor but I think it'll be A LOT harder once people start abusing the matchup flaws. Which are very easy to abuse.

Personally I dont think NRS envisioned Tremor being a full pressure character in the first place. He has way too many projectiles for them to just take a back seat.

YGDWaffles

Breakfast Lunch & Dinner's for Beginners
they seriously need to either change 2 back to mid, or even speed up b1 a little. Then, honestly, he'd be golden.

......did we stop with the puns? oh, okay.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
goddammit guys.

i didn't come here to hear other peeps whine about their character i get that enough with goro dammit.

E

Eldriken

I really don't think Tremor's projectiles are amazing. Well, not in Aftershock and Crystalline. They're slightly better in Metallic, but I don't like that variation. Air Earth Shake is great, but that's exclusive to Aftershock.

If they're gonna keep his s2 a high, they ought to speed up b1 a bit. I mean, come on. Getting low profiled all day when trying to pressure is just dumb.

OmGxBdON

from an aftershock point of view. Tremor has amazing zoning and spacing. It was already good before patch, and now it's even better I don't know why people keep saying his zoning is decent. Tremor hits like a truck and zones a big portion of the cast out. Tremor not having a viable mid doesn't destroy the character, at least in aftershock u should be playing more of a neutral game. The having no good mid is a problem though, but IMO if they just give him a faster poke he'd be fine without a good mid. B1 is still really good and has its uses. Your opponent shouldn't be able beat your poke after they block f121 that's just bull shit. That puts him at great disadvantage when characters like Cassie get in on you. Not having a fast poke is the issue. And that issue really stands out in certain match ups.
Honestly the 2 being hasn't really effected how I play so far. There's only been like 1 or 2 times where someone poked me from standin 2. I don't use at as much as f1 to be fair

Last edited:
Crazy how DJT can run through top competition (**Pre Buffs**) with the character yet people can STILL call him "Terrible" etc etc

It's one thing to need a tweak or too but this exaggeration is silly.

E

Eldriken

Crazy how DJT can run through top competition (**Pre Buffs**) with the character yet people can STILL call him "Terrible" etc etc

It's one thing to need a tweak or too but this exaggeration is silly.
I don't think he's terrible. I just don't feel his s2 should have been changed. It apparently got low profiled fairly often as a mid, so why change it to a high, y'know?

Dope Dojo

The Bomb Diggity
After looking at those matches I don't see too many people on the competitive circuit low profiling standing 2 in his strings. Also, the things that got buffed in the patch didn't effect his overall game play. You weren't cancelling into Stone Fist on every block string because it was unsafe and could be armored/punished.

As I said before. One of the more standard BnB's was F12 xxx DB1 DD 21*

either do D4, D4U4, or DB1 Dd again.

After rock drop? 21 etc etc

At no point now can you do that. The first hit easily whiffs and gets poked. His B1 will hit mid but as a 19 frame starter it's not very good.

Even Alucard doesn't want to play this character anymore.

But you know maybe I'm wrong, maybe everyone is wrong and Tremor has some secret tech that everyone is over looking. We will see at The Fall Classic.

shura30

Shura
At no point now can you do that. The first hit easily whiffs and gets poked. His B1 will hit mid but as a 19 frame starter it's not very good.

must agree, people new to the matchup might get caught by all those highs
not saying it's going to be as bad as jason vs johnny reo posted the other day but tremor's close up game is easily reduced just by crouching low and poking out

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
So pretty much maining Tremor now. Got tired of all the problems that come with playing Kenjutsu online. I do have a question for the other aftershock players though. How often do you guys use Ground quake (DD1)? I kind of wrote it off early on as being not worth it compared to just corner rock drop set ups unless you can nail one of the ridiculously damaging set ups we had floating around when Tremor was released. I do feel like I might be ignoring a valuable part of aftershock and would like to hear from you guys on your experiences with it.

If you do use it are there specific match ups you use it in? Do you still use it now that Tremor has no fast starting mids for pressure when you go for the set up? That last one I think scares me the most about it. You go for the set up and now someone can just wake up and poke you out of it, where as with the rock drop at the very least they're going to eat some chip. Would love to hear what you guys think.

Outside of corner mixups, DD1 will likely play little role in your neutral game. A combination of Air DD1 and DB3 into air dd1 will likely be your best tools for controlling space. When an opponent closes in, DB1 will keep them relatively checked should they decide to be reckless. It depends entirely on how familiar your opponent is with Tremor's move set. If they are unfamiliar, you can end your block strings with jump back dd1, or even db3. Most inexperienced players will freeze when they see the rock go up, which allows you to move in and mix them up with b3. This won't work on the more experienced players however.

As useful as After Shock is, I've gotten more mileage out of Crystalline against Characters that don't have rapid hitting special moves. Or characters that end their block strings with command grabs. Most often if hit Tremor will be at enough advantage to punish if not at least begin some pressure.

All in all, his character has been neutered a bit by the change in his mid string, which wasn't even godlike to begin with. I'll be surprised if there is a Tremor at Top 8 of TFC, but if anyone can do it at this point DJT can.

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
Outside of corner mixups, DD1 will likely play little role in your neutral game. A combination of Air DD1 and DB3 into air dd1 will likely be your best tools for controlling space. When an opponent closes in, DB1 will keep them relatively checked should they decide to be reckless. It depends entirely on how familiar your opponent is with Tremor's move set. If they are unfamiliar, you can end your block strings with jump back dd1, or even db3. Most inexperienced players will freeze when they see the rock go up, which allows you to move in and mix them up with b3. This won't work on the more experienced players however.

As useful as After Shock is, I've gotten more mileage out of Crystalline against Characters that don't have rapid hitting special moves. Or characters that end their block strings with command grabs. Most often if hit Tremor will be at enough advantage to punish if not at least begin some pressure.

All in all, his character has been neutered a bit by the change in his mid string, which wasn't even godlike to begin with. I'll be surprised if there is a Tremor at Top 8 of TFC, but if anyone can do it at this point DJT can.
Thank you for the response. I'm approaching about 1,500 wins with Tremor so I apologize if my post seemed like I was just picking him up. I was just curious as in about 700 or so aftershock games, I think I've attempted 4 DD1s with the only one succeeding being the one I input errored out in the first place before panicking and grabbing the guy heh. I definitely feel Crystalline still has some merit even after the nerfs. I swap back and forth between Crystalline and Aftershock depending on what the match up is (Online cryomancer players is Crystalline all the way for instance). The changes definitely took some getting used to and I was disheartened to hear that Alucard was potentially dropping the character but I have faith in DJT to represent Tremor in tournaments, even after patch he's been rocking Yomi's streams with Tremor.