What's new

The Variation System

There are 3 variants of pale bald men with godly powers but 2 of them outshine the 3rd.
Out of those 2,one of them has 3 variations, but 2 of them outshine the 3rd.
Out of those 2,one of them has 3 variants of spell circles, but 2 of them outshine the 3rd. (Ketchup is using the chip one now)
Out of those 2,one of them is composed of 3 primary colors, also known as variants of hues, but 2 of them outshine the 3rd.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
My two cents.

Variations were nice and all. I like them, TBH. They make games more fun. "We both play Scorpion, but I play Inferno, and he plays Hellfire." You can get two different play styles from one character. And sometimes, one Variation.

However, the variations tend to follow the same guidelines, and pretty much do the same thing. Let's take one character, say... Mileena.
Variation 1 is the gimmicky one, where the character gets some kind of new move or ability their playstyle revolves around, or their moves are replaced all together. (unstoppable, grandmaster, hi tech, inferno, kenjutsu, mournful, etc.) For our character, this is Ravenous.
Variation 2 is the easy mode one, where the character either has extended kombos/reach or powerful projectiles, usually this one resembles their MK9 status, but not always(heavy weapons, full auto, cryomancer, balanced, ninjitsu, thunder god, slasher, etc.) For our character, this is Piercing.
Variation 3 is the wildcard, where the character gains a new set of moves that completely changes their battle plan, either introducing movement or changing from pressure to anti pressure and vice versa (hellfire, unbreakable, relentless, displacer, possessed, etc.) For our character, this is Ethereal.

Anyways, back to what I was saying. The Variation system is okay, but it kinda fails to deal with balancing. The variations kinda added on an extra layer of balancing to the game, something which NRS did not handle well. And while MK9 was the last game they made that was with one character, and that's it, it was a step in the right direction. It was messy, it has holes, but it was one good step. Certain characters were overpowered,but everyone below them seemed alright. The other 94% of the cast was okay, weren't broken or anything. Except Sheeva, she was Beta.
Then MKX. Oh my. While the OP characters don't shine so brightly, the lower ones do. Kenshi was buffed and pushed in the right direction, while others still have to fight it out. My problem isn't with tiers, but the balancing behind them. Raiden is high up, maybe at a 100/100 in viability, but Kitana at maybe a 50/100 in viability. Then there's a problem. And the thing is, it shouldn't be hard to make characters kinda sorta good. There are useless moves, unsafe specials, slow startups, and disgusting recovery all over Kitana. Which sucks because she talks so much shit in her intros but can't back it up.

Any who. With Variation, there are, according to NRS and befuddled fans, 72 characters to balance out and make fair. 78 now, and soon, 84, and maybe 96, if NRS wants to please fans yet make money at the same time. (That's a fantastic deal!)

So, 78. Well, you know how each character has that best Variation that you always see played and is always online? That's my focus now.
Anywho, we all know that we have them. Inferno, Outlaw, Bojutsu, Piercing, Master of Souls, Ronin, and Summoner. Thunder God will be my best thing for this. If they are lucky, they might have two good ones.

Quan Chi - Sorcerer and Summoner
Cassie Cage - Brawler and Hollywood (I hear Spec is bad, and I can't see how it's good)
Kung Lao - Buzzsaw and Tempest
Kung Jin - Bojutsu and Ancestral

See how lucky?

But if you're an absolute boss, all three of your variations are useful.

Kano
Tanya
D'Vorah (You might not see it, but I main her, and I can do good damage and keep my opponent guessing with all three.)
Kenshi's only here because I could see where you could use Kenjutsu. I can see the appeal. So he has three viable variations, fantastic hair, and a bubble butt. No fair.

And lastly, we have the useless variations. You know, the ones NRS just threw on because they needed three variations.

Kitana - Assassin and Mournful
Both feel like the follow the pattern above. Royal Storm is the middle ground, Assassin in the gimmicky one, and Mournful is the Wildcard. There is no real reason to touch Assassin to me. It just has the Sharpen, which is barely useful, and the Dash, which doesn't even have really long lasting armor, which would make it useful. Mournful just feels like they said, "Fuck you Jade, no DLC spot 4 u!" All we'll have of Jade is Dragon Naginata and Mournful.

Kung Jin - Shaolin
The chakram is pretty useless, it works like most other projectiles, and the Up Lunge isn't enough to me. This would be the Wildcard Variation, the one added on for no real reason other than to have 3 Variations.

Mileena - Ethereal
You knew it was coming. The teleports aren't truly useful. If she had some other special moves in this Variation, like some grabs or some launchers, maybe a stun move, this could be useful, but no. Even if the teleports were way faster and she could combo off of them, that would be something. Wildcard/No Ideas.

Reptile - Nimble
If there is a use for this, tell me, cause I don't see it. Not to mention the snake is hideous.

Jason - Unstoppable
You are revived. And you no longer have that Breaker. Cool.
Wildcard/Useless

Raiden - Master of Storms
No one is going into those traps. That trailer lied to you, no one will purposely jump into them. Their zoning will just have to be on fleek. Not to mention this is represented with EX lightning ball. I guess, if you got a read you could combo with it, but that's a maybe.
Wildcard/No ideas

Takeda - Lasher
Takeda in general is a meter hungry character, so all of his Variations barely scrape viability, but Lasher fell short. Takeda is another graphed character.

Gimmicky - Shirai Ryu
Easy Mode - Lasher
Wildcard - Ronin

Ronin is probably the best Variation. I think so, close range, and long range? Yah! But Lasher was just given some more whip moves and called a day. No.
Easy Mode/Add-on

Erron Black - Gunslinger
What is the point of this Variation? While it is more viable than others, with the Stance and money shot, I can barely take it seriously. It is more viable, I will give it that, but it kinda seems useless to me. They could have improved on his hand to hand skills in this one, or zoning, who cares.

Anywho, if they would take out the Variation system, that would avoid any balancing issues that might be upsetting the game as it is. There are so many useless Variations that you sometimes forget about them. Like, I sometimes forget the name of his Spectral Variation. I confuse Gunslinger and Marksman, but maybe that's @SonicFox5000's fault.

Anyway, what do you think? Are Variations good or Nah? And should they return?

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Variations make the game more fun and much more diverse dispite a large number of variations being unbalanced. I believe they are the future for NRS games and I really hope they stick with them.

EDIT: Although I seem to be alone on this one :(

Last edited:

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Variations make the game more fun and much more diverse dispite a large number of variations being unbalanced. I believe they are the future for NRS games and I really hope they stick with them.
I don't.
But mainly because of MKX. If they could implement them nicely without making only 1 good one, then sure.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Variations are the best thing about this game. I honestly don't care if some of them are useless because they're just so much fun anyway. Some characters play so differently depending on the variation and that's incredibly refreshing.

I think you're partially wrong when you say "only 1 good one". Obviously some characters have a best variation, but that doesn't mean the others are bad. Of course this isn't always the case and some characters do only have 1 good variation, but for the most part every character has two worth using.

QXD

Noob
To me, three variations just seems to be too much to make them balanced to each other. I feel 2 would have been enough. But that might be seen as taking a step back considering stances used to be a thing.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
I don't.
But mainly because of MKX. If they could implement them nicely without making only 1 good one, then sure.
Well the characters I've messed around with all have pretty good variations so maybe I don't have a full grasp on how pointless some of these variations actually are, but the concept is solid and the execution will improve if they stick with it (hopefully) although variations are probably the reason Noob, Smoke, Rain, Fujin, Bo Rai Cho, Baraka, Cyrax, Sektor, ect... aren't in the game so it is definetly a trade off.

Last edited:

RexxyC

what's done is done
wasted potential and shouldn't be brought back, as time goes on that seems to be the theme for this game imo.

they clearly ran out of ideas for many characters and shoehorned ENTIRE other characters special moves into the empty slot. This is painfully apparent in Shinnok and Kitana. Don't leave an unfinished idea.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I think you're partially wrong when you say "only 1 good one". Obviously some characters have a best variation, but that doesn't mean the others are bad. Of course this isn't always the case and some characters do only have 1 good variation, but for the most part every character has two worth using.
Well of course.
And see, the thing is, only a few have only one good one, so I can see that. Usually you fall into the two category, but not always.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Well the characters I've messed around with all have pretty good variations so maybe I don't have a full grasp on how pointless some of these variations actually are, but the concept is solid and the execution will improve if they stick with it (hopefully) although variations are probably the reason Noob, Smoke, Rain, Fujin, Bo Rai Cho, Baraka, Cyrax, Sektor, ect... aren't in the game so it is definetly a trade off.
I agree, they are fun, but the balancing will always be majorly off, I mean, it's NR.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
I didn't say it was, I just cannot see a real use for it, and I disclaimed it saying that that was what I heard.
Oh boy then let me tell you, you know that thing you call a wakeup? Well say bye to that. If she calls a missle on herself she wins almost all trades. Overhead tracking missile creates "unblockable" setups that launch for a full combo. The bs is real with that variation.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Variations are a million dollar bill sold in order to fool players into believing that the game has lots of variety when it has none whatsoever. The best variation is almost always the one with the best 50/50 mix up, pressure, and damage output. Besides, you see the same variations being used in tournaments. Even for characters who supposedly have two variations worth using such as D'Vorah (Swarm Queen versus Venemous) and Kung Lao (Buzz Saw versus Tempest), the preferable variation is almost exclusively Swarm Queen and Tempest. Tanya is in a unique situation given that she is barely two weeks old, but I am certain that players will come to a conclusion soon. If you understand the meta game, the best variation is not difficult to pick out.

Variations are a million dollar bill sold in order to fool players into believing that the game has lots of variety when it has none whatsoever. The best variation is almost always the one with the best 50/50 mix up, pressure, and damage output. Besides, you see the same variations being used in tournaments. Even for characters who supposedly have two variations worth using such as D'Vorah (Swarm Queen versus Venemous) and Kung Lao (Buzz Saw versus Tempest), the preferable variation is almost exclusively Swarm Queen and Tempest. Tanya is in a unique situation given that she is barely two weeks old, but I am certain that players will come to a conclusion soon. If you understand the meta game, the best variation is not difficult to pick out.
There is still time for the variations to get balanced out. Tempest damage off of a jab is 40% while it is 25% in the other variations. They could easily balance this out to near 35% for tempest and near 30% for buzzszaw and hattrick.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
24 Characters with 3 variations vs. a roster of 36 characters with no variations, I had this discussion with a poster on GameFAQs (please don't laugh at GameFAQs, it was a good conversation) I think everyone would agree that the variations, while somewhat innovative, don't really have the spark of replacing characters altogether. An example would be Mournful Kitana trying to replace Jade. I think lots of variations are just thrown in there to complete the trio of options. I would hardly imagine a Master of Storms Raiden saying to himself, "man, I can't beat Tanya's fireball zoning in Pyromancer, maybe if I switched to Displacer things would be different?" Of course some variations change your game up entirely, but most people will stick to one or two variations over maybe two or three characters just in-case they need to gain an edge in a certain match-up. Of course, we've seen Pig of the Hut and MIT do that with their respective charaters, playing all three variations, but it's just not something I would see both casuals and top-tier competitive players doing. I wouldn't see a Kung Lao player use Hat Trick, Buzzsaw, and Tempest during a tournament. Buzzsaw and Tempest are clearly better.

My opinion though.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Oh boy then let me tell you, you know that thing you call a wakeup? Well say bye to that. If she calls a missle on herself she wins almost all trades. Overhead tracking missile creates "unblockable" setups that launch for a full combo. The bs is real with that variation.
Interesting.
So... what is she?

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
24 Characters with 3 variations vs. a roster of 36 characters with no variations, I had this discussion with a poster on GameFAQs (please don't laugh at GameFAQs, it was a good conversation) I think everyone would agree that the variations, while somewhat innovative, don't really have the spark of replacing characters altogether. An example would be Mournful Kitana trying to replace Jade. I think lots of variations are just thrown in there to complete the trio of options. I would hardly imagine a Master of Storms Raiden saying to himself, "man, I can't beat Tanya's fireball zoning in Pyromancer, maybe if I switched to Displacer things would be different?" Of course some variations change your game up entirely, but most people will stick to one or two variations over maybe two or three characters just in-case they need to gain an edge in a certain match-up. Of course, we've seen Pig of the Hut and MIT do that with their respective charaters, playing all three variations, but it's just not something I would see both casuals and top-tier competitive players doing. I wouldn't see a Kung Lao player use Hat Trick, Buzzsaw, and Tempest during a tournament. Buzzsaw and Tempest are clearly better.

My opinion though.
Oh, no shade at all. I like GFaqs. I love trolling people there. They get so mad. And sometimes you can have good conversations. Sometimes.
And like I said, the Variation system is good, no doubt about it, but the way they did it was complete ass. If Raiden's two Variations were any good, you could use him depended on how you wanted to play or the matchup. If they did Variation right, I'd love to see them returnn in MKXII OR MKXIII, but not the next one.

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
Variations are a million dollar bill sold in order to fool players into believing that the game has lots of variety when it has none whatsoever. The best variation is almost always the one with the best 50/50 mix up, pressure, and damage output. Besides, you see the same variations being used in tournaments. Even for characters who supposedly have two variations worth using such as D'Vorah (Swarm Queen versus Venomous) and Kung Lao (Buzz Saw versus Tempest), the preferable variation is almost exclusively Swarm Queen and Tempest. Tanya is in a unique situation given that she is barely two weeks old, but I am certain that players will come to a conclusion soon. If you understand the meta game, the best variation is not difficult to pick out.
I'm calling it now, all three of Tanya's Variations are viable, but the best is Dragon Naginata. The reach, the Yoshimoto stance, the teleporting... I'm calling it.
I agree. The Variation System was okay on paper, but in game, they feel lackluster, especially when they were hyped up to be this amazing thing.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I'm calling it now, all three of Tanya's Variations are viable, but the best is Dragon Naginata. The reach, the Yoshimoto stance, the teleporting... I'm calling it.
I agree. The Variation System was okay on paper, but in game, they feel lackluster, especially when they were hyped up to be this amazing thing.
You're wrong.

Last edited: