What's new

The Variation System

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Only NRS could add a "feature" like variations to add depth to the game and end up producing one of the most one-dimensional fighting games of all time.

Tharr

Nyaaaah~
After watching the CEO stream and some commentary discussion, I was wondering what the TYM community's opinion is on variation balance.

Basically, which characters are viable throughout all their variations, and which were poorly balanced(within themselves) and only have one good variation?

Note: This is not about tier lists or how good a character is compared to the rest of the cast. It's just to see which characters could easily use any one variation and still not be at a serious disadvantage compared to their other variations.

For example:

Most Balanced:
Cassie Cage
Erron Black
Jax
Kenshi
Kung Jin
Quan Chi
Tanya

Worst Balanced:
Ermac - Master of Souls
Jacqui - Full Auto
Kotal Kahn - War God
Kung Lao - Tempest
Raiden - Thunder God

What are your thoughts?

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Shinnok is one of the most balanced when it comes to his variations. They all fill specific roles and actually reinforce variation change versus character change in tournament.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
After watching the CEO stream and some commentary discussion, I was wondering what the TYM community's opinion is on variation balance.

Basically, which characters are viable throughout all their variations, and which were poorly balanced(within themselves) and only have one good variation?

Note: This is not about tier lists or how good a character is compared to the rest of the cast. It's just to see which characters could easily use any one variation and still not be at a serious disadvantage compared to their other variations.

For example:

Most Balanced:
Cassie Cage
Erron Black
Jax
Kenshi
Kung Jin
Quan Chi
Tanya

Worst Balanced:
Ermac - Master of Souls
Jacqui - Full Auto
Kotal Kahn - War God
Kung Lao - Tempest
Raiden - Thunder God

What are your thoughts?
Good post. I will be curious to see what people have to say about overall variation balance. This topic deserves its own thread, IMO.

Tharr

Nyaaaah~
Good post. I will be curious to see what people have to say about overall variation balance. This topic deserves its own thread, IMO.
Sadly it was merged by a mod and probably will be ignored completely now in this thread, don't know why they would do that.

crosshair271

Sub-Xerox
They should remove the stupid stance switch button and make it variation switch. I feel even with a blind pick you can pick a variation that is a terrible matchup and you're locked until you lose or win by a long shot. Also the first person to win a game theoretically wins the match.
My idea is A beats B, B beats C, C beats A. P1A beats P2B. P2 counter picks with P2C and wins. It's 1-1 but now P1 counter picks with P1B and wins taking the match. Having the variation switch fixes this and adds so much depth and strategy, possibly lifetime to the game. Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon all had style change. That would be perfect to patch in to the game.