What's new

The Variation System

ramy_92

http://instagram.com/ramysoli
I was wondering if the characters will be limited due to the variations, if anyone tried the game, does the characters have a lot of strings like in injustice, which gave a lil bit of of variety, I'm just a lil bit worried about the characters having 2-3 combos max for each variation that's all

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I was wondering if the characters will be limited due to the variations, if anyone tried the game, does the characters have a lot of strings like in injustice, which gave a lil bit of of variety, I'm just a lil bitch worried about the characters having 2-3 combos max for each variation that's all
Normals and combos are not variation specific, only special moves.

Some variations can extend combos or give certain combos added bonuses, like range or damage.

It's like in MK9, scorpions 1,1,1,(or Square, Square, Square on PS3).

Every variations of Scorpion would have 1,1,1 but in the Ninjutsu variation Scorpion has his swords out, so 1, 1, 1 would receive extra range from the weapons.

I thought this stuff was common knowledge?

I think it'll be quite the opposite. From what I've seen most combo strings will remain pretty simialar. With some variations granting opportunities for extended strings at the cost of other abilities.

ramy_92

Normals and combos are not variation specific, only special moves.

Some variations can extend combos or give certain combos added bonuses, like range or damage.

It's like in MK9, scorpions 1,1,1,(or Square, Square, Square on PS3).

Every variations of Scorpion would have 1,1,1 but in the Ninjutsu variation Scorpion has his swords out, so 1, 1, 1 would receive extra range from the weapons.

I thought this stuff was common knowledge?
yeah but in the gameplay videos I've seen sub zero only using one string which made me feel a lil bit worried, the only difference was in one video he can throw his clone, the other one was unbreakable which didn't change anything in the combo, then the weapon one was almost the same combo but using a hammer in the middle, I know it's a demo but Idk from the gameplay I've seen it looks like they don't have different strings, that's what I was asking for if anyone tried the game could tell us :D

ramy_92

I think it'll be quite the opposite. From what I've seen most combo strings will remain pretty simialar. With some variations granting opportunities for extended strings at the cost of other abilities.
yeah but I'm scared the characters will end up like sub zero in mk9, he was cool but too limited :/

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I was quite concerned about this issue when I first found out about variations. I thought characters would have to be stretched out to get 3 variations out of em. But looking at the gameplay videos so far it seems fine. If it's up to the levels of Mk9 I'll be happy although I can't say I'm not hoping for more.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
yeah but in the gameplay videos I've seen sub zero only using one string which made me feel a lil bit worried, the only difference was in one video he can throw his clone, the other one was unbreakable which didn't change anything in the combo, then the weapon one was almost the same combo but using a hammer in the middle, I know it's a demo but Idk from the gameplay I've seen it looks like they don't have different strings, that's what I was asking for if anyone tried the game could tell us :D
Watch gameplay demos of MK9 and Injustice, they also only showed basic and simple combos, and then flashy stuff like special moves and supers/x-rays.

The most "complexity" we've seen so far was in this video:

But we'll just have to wait till we get more so we can analyze and interpret.

I don't understand why you would think we wouldn't get a good amount of standard combos for each character, even though we had that in MK9 and Injustice, this game has shown literally no sign of taking something like that away. The only serious change to actual fighting side of the game is the splitting up of special moves and buffs.

Last edited:

ramy_92

Watch gameplay demos of MK9 and Injustice, they also only showed basic and simple combos, and then flashy stuff like special moves and supers/x-rays.

The most "complexity" we've seen so far was in this video:

But we'll just have to wait till we get more so we can analyze and interpret.

I don't understand why you would think we wouldn't get a good amount of standard combos for each character, even though we had that in MK9 and Injustice, this game has shown literally no sign of taking something like that away. The only serious change to actual fighting side of the game is the splitting up of special moves and buffs.
this gameplay :O IS EPIC ! it shows all of the potentials and how the actual gameplay will look like, and yeah we'll sure have to wait.
I just had that thought because let's face it, 3 variation for each character is hard and it'll take a lot of work and I know NRS never disappointed us but I just had the thought :p

cyke_out

Noob
Kano's universal specials are up ball, air ball, straight ball, and knife toss. He is only missing one move, choke, from mk9. So he has 99% of all of his mk9 moves, not to mention all the extra stuff he gets with unique variations. So instead of being more limited compared to his mk9 incarnation, he will actually be even more diverse in all of his different styles.

I'm confident in NRS's ability to create unique, interesting and complete characters/variations.

If to you being "incomplete/limited" means having holes and bad matchups then you're gonna be disappointed because every variation will definitely have weaknesses and limitations since they will be specialized in either rushdown, mid-range, zoning or grappler etc.

I don't see it as a negative. It's a very positive thing to have limited designs. It will avoid having super characters like MK9.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
From what i've seen of each character they have defined variation types
Offensive
Defensive
"enhancement" : where this playstyle is unique to the character and enhances an aspect of the default moves even further.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Surprised that no one has used the word "Depth" in their comments yet. I guess its just an experimental thing so when they come out with another MK in the future they will have already in mind what the characters lack in combos and whats best for them so they will have a better Idea the next time.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Kano's universal specials are up ball, air ball, straight ball, and knife toss. He is only missing one move, choke, from mk9. So he has 99% of all of his mk9 moves, not to mention all the extra stuff he gets with unique variations. So instead of being more limited compared to his mk9 incarnation, he will actually be even more diverse in all of his different styles.
He still has choke, it just looks a lot cooler.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Isn't this question kind of contradictory? The word "variations" doesn't tend to imply that what will be involved with them will be limited, it's actually kind of telling us there'll be more options and more ways to play a character.