What's new

The Variation System

Jyakotu

The traitor to Edenia and to all the realms!
This is probably going to sound silly, but here's my feeling on the variation system. Do I like the concept? I think it's neat. Is the concept flawed? Yes. Like many have already stated, many characters have a variation or two that are seen are viable in competitive play or just in play in general. What I do not like is when you have a favorite variation, but are forced to use another variation in order to have a fighting chance against a certain variation match up. MKX is less about character MUs and more about variation MUs. Some characters are lucky to have all three of their variations be viable and many have at least two that are viable. However, for the variation system to truly shine, NRS just needs to fix the balancing and make it so that all three variations can be useful. Right now, it's just as I predicted: players using a certain variation just because it is that good against all the other variations.

This is probably going to sound silly, but here's my feeling on the variation system. Do I like the concept? I think it's neat. Is the concept flawed? Yes. Like many have already stated, many characters have a variation or two that are seen are viable in competitive play or just in play in general. What I do not like is when you have a favorite variation, but are forced to use another variation in order to have a fighting chance against a certain variation match up. MKX is less about character MUs and more about variation MUs. Some characters are lucky to have all three of their variations be viable and many have at least two that are viable. However, for the variation system to truly shine, NRS just needs to fix the balancing and make it so that all three variations can be useful. Right now, it's just as I predicted: players using a certain variation just because it is that good against all the other variations.

That's gonna happen regardless though...

mountlover

My fingers hurt.
I love it. Putting MMO passive mechanics in a fighting game is the best idea ever. They should give you a hot bar for special moves, too.

:DOGE

Jyakotu

The traitor to Edenia and to all the realms!
That's gonna happen regardless though...
I understand, however, all the variations should be able to have a fighting chance, not just one or two. For example, many sway me to not consider High Tech Jacqui, but that's my favorite variation. I don't like Shotgun or Full Auto variations, but it becomes apparent that High Tech struggles against certain variations in the game. Like I said, it's more of a balancing issue on NRS's part and not the variation system, but still a flaw nonetheless. I know that the variation system was probably made so that you can have a character that does well against another character's variation; but, there are players out there like me, who'd rather just focus on bringing out the full potential of one variation of whatever character they choose.

Last edited:
Just opened this thread to see the general opinion.

When NRS announces the variation system for MKX I was pretty excited and I like this feature so much in the game.
It probably costs lots of work for NRS to develope it.
However, even if the game is new and it's still evolving, it's clear that this system that I totally love is pretty pointless.

In every tournament, it's difficult to see a great player to choose another variation beside the strongest and more mainstream, obviously because that variation is more competitive then the others.

The Raidens are always TG, as long as the Ermacs are always MoS, the Kung Jin are always Bojutsu, the Kotal Khans are always War God, etc...
Very few characters have more that one valuable variation.

I'm a fan of the less used variations.
I use Kung Lao and Raiden and I love Hat Trick and Master of Storms but the game itself seems to dictate me to not use them because these are not good as the others.

So, what's the point of having these if they are not worthy?
Are you happy with this or do you think that they are a waste of potential?

My hope is that one day, every variation have the same potential but it seems an utopia.
different variations are gonna come into play when the game is explored further. i personally am happy with it, but for the next mk id prefer a return of in-game variation switches, like in 3d mk. but make it slow, so that it cannot be circled through like stupid, but only done after certain knockdowns etc.. that will move the rock/paper/scissors thing out of the menu and into the actual game.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
EVO Grand Finals will probably consist of either of the following: Kung Jin, Cassie, Raiden, Erron Black or D'Vorah. It's gonna be a mix of those five and hopefully it's not a fuckin' mirror. However, Sonya MIGHT sneak her way in there.
While those characters are strong, there's plenty of other characters that totally have potential to be the best in the game as well, (Jax and Shinnok come to mind immediatley) but there's others up there too.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Variations are great, they just didn't do a good job of balancing all of them. Some shine way brighter than others. But for their first try it's a very good addition and I hope they keep it in the future.

KuralKing

Never forget The Great Ferra/Torr Scare!
Playing the game the feeling i had was when they though about variations they had a few characters in mind and the rest just got "filler" variations, but i feel that some characters would be a lot better if the game had no variation system and the moves from the variations would be implemented in a singular play style. i feel the variation system will return in next games, but instead of 3 they'll be reduced down to 2.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
The variations were designed so that each one was specialized for a certain type of kombat (rushdown, zoner, reset, trap, etc). One of the main reasons many feel that only one variation is more viable than the others, is because at this stage in the games life, rushdown is very strong, so those variations have become the most useful. In the future this may change.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
I love the variation system. I don't love how people refuse to even use it though. Oh I just lost with Thunder God Raiden, better counter pick with Hollywood Cassie or Bojutsu instead of change my variation and actually learn my character...

It's a shame but I think down the road we will eventually get there once people get more comfortable with their mains and don't rely on easy mode characters

haketh

Noob
I like what they've done for a first try but they need to go further if the variation system sticks around. I'd like to see more differences between variations when it comes to normals, frames, & movements like Melty Blood does it.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I love the variation system. I don't love how people refuse to even use it though. Oh I just lost with Thunder God Raiden, better counter pick with Hollywood Cassie or Bojutsu instead of change my variation and actually learn my character...

It's a shame but I think down the road we will eventually get there once people get more comfortable with their mains and don't rely on easy mode characters
If tournaments were character lock per matchup this woudl be a real thing

as of now..... it doesn't make sense to use the "offensive" SZ (cryo) when I could just switch to a more elite offensive character in Kung Jin (bojitsu).

so again...... great concept..... but the players all agreed we shoudl treat everyone as a totaly diff. character (when in reality... they aren't).

Hitoshura

Head Cage
I liked the idea of the variation system, however, upon purchasing the game I noticed that certain variations were either recycled ideas (I.E.: Spectral for Ermac a.k.a. Hawkgirl lite, Mournful Kitana a.k.a. Jade), or they were just a concept where a move was replaced with something new, but that characters gameplay didn't really change. Some characters have great variations while others seem lackluster or incomplete. I'm still impressed with NRS and their attempts to make a new MK. It surpasses MK9 in a lot of areas and definitely shows signs of them improving as game developers, but I feel if this game had a little more time some of the variations would have more meat to them.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King

as of now..... it doesn't make sense to use the "offensive" SZ (cryo) when I could just switch to a more elite offensive character in Kung Jin (bojitsu).

so again...... great concept..... but the players all agreed we shoudl treat everyone as a totaly diff. character (when in reality... they aren't).
They should have been locked in the first place. No one listens or tries "new" things

d3v

SRK
The Raidens are always TG, as long as the Ermacs are always MoS, the Kung Jin are always Bojutsu, the Kotal Khans are always War God, etc...
Very few characters have more that one valuable variation.
This is nothing new and has happened in any fighting game with any sort of variation/groove system. People will always find the best option for each character and the meta will end up revolving around those.

It's a cool idea. Too early to give an overall review but for the next game if they continue I would like to just see 2 variations, offensive and defensive.

Wetdoba

All too easy...

Yes both are offensive but stress different things. KJ apparently has problems getting zoned out, but Cryo Sub still has EX iceball for that. KJ has a divekick where Cryomancer gets the armored anti air ground blast...

Slymind

Noob
It's awesome imo.

Of course you cannot expect perfect balance across the board right out of the gate, but, i sincerely hope it's a staple from now on, even if some variations are still not quite there yet on pratical terms, it makes each character much more interesting.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Yes both are offensive but stress different things. KJ apparently has problems getting zoned out, but Cryo Sub still has EX iceball for that. KJ has a divekick where Cryomancer gets the armored anti air ground blast...
that exact example wasn't my point at all......

Solo

Shadow Priest
Variations are whatever to me. I wouldn't care if we saw it in the next NRS game or not.

Of course you cannot expect perfect balance across the board right out of the gate
I would agree with this, but NRS make each game so different from the last they will never find the perfect system. They will probably drop the variation system next MK. I'm actually surprise they kept interactables, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Wetdoba

All too easy...
that exact example wasn't my point at all......
I was just using it as an example. Both are considered offensive variations but stress different aspects of an offensive character so it doesnt really mean you can just brush off cryomancer because bojutsu is offensive too. If a grandmaster struggled in a match up and realizes the adjustmwnt he needs to make is to be more offensive rather than hide behind clone, if they were to switch to bojutsu rather than cryomancer that would be retarded.