What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

Rapid99

Resident Mileena Researcher
Yea Mileenas EX roll now is like Sonya's EX cartwheel of death in MK9. You haft to respect Mileenas meter. Yea her overhead is nothing like U4 was in MK9, but you sure can get some high damage from it when you actually land it.

Yea it is too early to say, I still have a lot (I mean a lot) of leveling up to do online, haven't even fought a Kenshi player yet.
You and me both. It's one thing to know how the character works - it's another completely to actually put that knowledge to use against a real opponent who isn't a jobber. I'm still super rusty at hit confirming tons of Mileena's strings and run cancels are the bane of my existence so I just don't even both outside of the training room.

SHH, don't tell anyone

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I definitely agree, @Rapid99, but I think that Mileena is heavily meter-dependent. At least in my experience.

Without a bar of meter, I have a really tough time opening up and threatening cautious opponents; however, with a bar, she can get an easy (roughly) 30% from either full screen or up close with an armored Roll. With no meter, I think her pressure game is pretty bad, her wakeups get stuffed easily, and she just becomes an all-around pretty underwhelming character. It's only with meter that she becomes a threat. This is just my early perspective, of course.

Rapid99

Resident Mileena Researcher
I definitely agree, @Rapid99, but I think that Mileena is heavily meter-dependent. At least in my experience.

Without a bar of meter, I have a really tough time opening up and threatening cautious opponents; however, with a bar, she can get an easy (roughly) 30% from either full screen or up close with an armored Roll. With no meter, I think her pressure game is pretty bad, her wakeups get stuffed easily, and she just becomes an all-around pretty underwhelming character. It's only with meter that she becomes a threat. This is just my early perspective, of course.
Perhaps I didn't bring my point across as effectively as I could have - this is exactly what I was trying to get at in my post.

Mileena is quite underwhelming without meter and without access to a reliable over-head her mix-up game really suffers. With a single bar of meter she really opens up though and not only does her mix-up get much better (let's be real here, exRoll is one of the best overheads in the entire game) but her punish potential also gets much better since exTK now leads into nice damage from full screen and exRoll is super fast and has armor.

Relying on meter for your threat may seem like a bummer but when you consider that outside of big-damage corner combos there isn't much benefit to meter-burning Mileena's combos for damage. Since she doesn't need meter to do her damage that means she gets to hold her meter for longer than other characters and continue to be threatening with her improved mix-up and punish potential.

I know I keep touting on about it but exRoll is honestly her saving grace. Just having it available opens a bunch of options for the Mileena player and forces your opponent to play differently.

I'd say she has the tools to be playable without meter - mostly in Piercing though. A standing, low and air projectile is really nice to have and her improved b12 and f1 fill a couple of gaps her strings are otherwise missing.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Have any of you using Ravenous experimented with using Low Pounce in the neutral game? The real trick is to have that spacing down with Mileena's start-up walk speed. I've had some good results so far.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I couldn't play tonight to test but...is there enough time to land MB Throw reset into a full f3 combo?

Edit: Answer - Nooooope.

Last edited:

Law Hero

Have any of you using Ravenous experimented with using Low Pounce in the neutral game? The real trick is to have that spacing down with Mileena's start-up walk speed. I've had some good results so far.
I've used low pounce after a blocked 123, f+1, 2 [b+4], or f+2,3 string. It doesn't do much damage, but it slightly punishes people who think they can block low every day all day. Pretty nifty and sometimes paves the way for a quick f+4 when they get sick of it.

On another note, playing long sets as Mileena has become a depressing experience for me. It usually starts of really well, then ends after a dozen or so matches, turns into beatdown city for me. I'm definitely (obviously) not the best player in the world, but sometimes i just feel so limited so often during a fight. I know I could improve with time and practice, but it's very disheartening sometimes.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
What are you guys doing to punish ermac/raidan teleport/ flying across the screen? I am so many issues trying to punish people with mileena in piercing

i tried roll
b12
b21
nothing hits

JaeTea

Noob
I'm getting my ass handed to me online. When I get in a mid range position I'm a sitting duck, my mind goes blank.

In MK9, D4 and U4 would solve this problem because of the range. Poke out D4, dash a bit. U4 if they block low, or repeat U4 to close the distance.

Now I'm just lost as to what to do and I tend to try to ball roll everything. Does anyone have any suggestions how to open up people from mid range?

I also have a hard time getting out of corner traps. I probably lost like 90% of my matches cause I couldn't get out of the corner.

Law Hero

I'm getting my ass handed to me online. When I get in a mid range position I'm a sitting duck, my mind goes blank.

In MK9, D4 and U4 would solve this problem because of the range. Poke out D4, dash a bit. U4 if they block low, or repeat U4 to close the distance.

Now I'm just lost as to what to do and I tend to try to ball roll everything. Does anyone have any suggestions how to open up people from mid range?

I also have a hard time getting out of corner traps. I probably lost like 90% of my matches cause I couldn't get out of the corner.
At mid range, I think you should be trying to land b+1, 2 if you're in Piercing or f+2,3 if you're in Ravenous. Those are her best advancing strings, and b+1,2 has some pretty deceptive range. I've had a tough time hit-confirming it into Ball Roll myself, but you might be better at it. It really is a shame she doesn't have d+4 or u+4 anymore. A lot of people are probably going to try to be patient and wait until you make a mistake since Mileena's specials are easily punished, so you're goal should be to be more patient than they are, and annoy them with sais until they make the mistake. Try to avoid getting an itchy trigger finger and throwing out the random roll/telekick, regardless of how tempting it may be.

As for the corner, the only thing I can think of is use EX Ball Roll more often. That move should deter people from trying to pressure you on wakeup if you show you're willing to use it. I'd be cautious about using it against Liu Kang though. A friend of mine plays a mean Liu Kang and he is able to stuff EX Roll on wakeup rather easily, so in that situation, you need to delayed wakeup just perfectly. I think she has one of the better wakeup attacks in the game, so be sure to abuse it if people think they can walk all over you when you're down.

nahoYi

Noob
Does anyone have any suggestions how to open up people from mid range?

My first suggestion is to avoid midrange against characters that thrive in that range. Zone fullscreen as much as you can and make them come to you. Low sai is awesome because it's low hit box it hard to punish with jump ins. Antiair with ball roll for max damage punish for jumping.

If you think Mileena can win the midrange war, or you find yourself there anyway, poke with B12 or B21, which hits low if they block standing. They key is to understand range and button timing. If they have quicker moves then stand further out let them whiff their string and counter poke. If they are slower them hit buttons quickly. You can cancel both strings for combos.

In the corner understand that if you block a string or move one time sucessfuly then you probably have frame advantage and can go to the offensive. Stay calm until you get that one sucessful block. Ex roll if they just won't let up, but be wary of being baited to ex roll.

Overall, learn frame data and punish unsafe moves/strings.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm still trying to use Ravenous but man I struggle mid with her. What's the general approach to matches people are taking? I'm usually trying to condition respecting lows with f4 or her 21 in order to start throwing out f3 or ex Roll. That and scoring knockdowns. She feels a bit like Catwoman in that respect. I'm still trying to shake habits from MK9 Mileena though. What do you guys do off of hard knockdowns?

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Punish Ermac with B 1,2 - F 2,3 - or 1,2,3/4.

Also, so I've been delving and experimenting with her Option Selects and have a video of it up/ I also have punishment videos for Ermac, Quan Chi, and Kung Lao on their way.

HDTran

Just a guy.
Mileena is one of the most uniquely designed characters in a 2d fighter, and it's still to be seen whether it's a good thing or not. If you had a Blanka ball character that is super mobile and can fully convert into a 1/3rd of someone's life at any time walking forward, but fully punishable on block, are they still good? What if it's armored? Sure, you'd argue that the opponent would block all the time, hoping for you to open yourself up, but then you can easily dance around them and start playing safe and never go for mixups or minimal ones like safe lows and throws. I mean if their primary option is to STOP EVERYTHING AND JUST BLOCK, you have all of the pressure in the world. When they get impatient and soft again, you can start going for big lows. If they're super respecting you, you can go for a ridiculously slow overhead that leads to a full convert.

Is this character, who looks so bad on paper, actually really good? Who knows. One thing is for certain, someone fearless will be ridiculous good with this character and the swing factor and clear attack on nerves of this character will be unprecedented.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Mileena is one of the most uniquely designed characters in a 2d fighter, and it's still to be seen whether it's a good thing or not. If you had a Blanka ball character that is super mobile and can fully convert into a 1/3rd of someone's life at any time walking forward, but fully punishable on block, are they still good? What if it's armored? Sure, you'd argue that the opponent would block all the time, hoping for you to open yourself up, but then you can easily dance around them and start playing safe and never go for mixups or minimal ones like safe lows and throws. I mean if their primary option is to STOP EVERYTHING AND JUST BLOCK, you have all of the pressure in the world. When they get impatient and soft again, you can start going for big lows. If they're super respecting you, you can go for a ridiculously slow overhead that leads to a full convert.

Is this character, who looks so bad on paper, actually really good? Who knows. One thing is for certain, someone fearless will be ridiculous good with this character and the swing factor and clear attack on nerves of this character will be unprecedented.
You do say some good stuff but she is nothing compared to her MK9 counterpart. It seems her play-style is a bit different than ever before.

BTW. All of you need to start using Max Range D+4. After Safe Strings.

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Punish Ermac with B 1,2 - F 2,3 - or 1,2,3/4.

Also, so I've been delving and experimenting with her Option Selects and have a video of it up/ I also have punishment videos for Ermac, Quan Chi, and Kung Lao on their way.
hey mate, the video is really laggy and the the volume is quiet low :( not quite sure what you're saying

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
@Trip Se7ens

Really? Ive had a few people watch it and says it's really fine. Hmm, I'll re check into it,.

Is it maybe your internet connection or the quality you're watching it at? I'll check into that/

Pretty much what I'm explaining is that if you're going to be using the Option Select tech that is flying around now...

Doing the Option select off of B 1,2 is the best to do the option select off of. You can option select into EX Roll or EX Tele kick since B 1,2 is SAFE and leaves you at a good positioning and out of distance of MOST things.

Last edited:
Use b12. Its good for stuffing wakeups too.

As for meterless wakeup options, at the moment, everyone is trying to just run in and start a mixup so you wake up into it. Just hold down and let them wiff and then punish with regular wakeup roll. Use tech rolling and back dashing if you dont want to burn meter for ex roll.

Other than that... shes pretty fucked if your opponent just blocks low and youre meterless.

she can still be viable.,. Because just like mk9, she can full combo off just about any hit.