What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Use b12. Its good for stuffing wakeups too.

As for meterless wakeup options, at the moment, everyone is trying to just run in and start a mixup so you wake up into it. Just hold down and let them wiff and then punish with regular wakeup roll. Use tech rolling and back dashing if you dont want to burn meter for ex roll.

Other than that... shes pretty fucked if your opponent just blocks low and youre meterless.

she can still be viable.,. Because just like mk9, she can full combo off just about any hit.
For some reason I cannot do a roll out of 12 is there another special to cancel into for a combo?

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't Mileena's B12 in Piercing like -17 on block? It's an advancing string so even at a distance it's not safe. Yet her 124 string is -5 on block and goes into ball combos but I have not seen it mentioned. Admittedly, I'm new to how MK works although I understand traditional FG mechanics so maybe I'm overlooking something.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't Mileena's B12 in Piercing like -17 on block? It's an advancing string so even at a distance it's not safe. Yet her 124 string is -5 on block and goes into ball combos but I have not seen it mentioned. Admittedly, I'm new to how MK works although I understand traditional FG mechanics so maybe I'm overlooking something.
I'm fairly certain people have said the frame data for B12 in Piercing is wrong and is something close to -4 on block. I can't remember the exact figures but I'm sure someone will confirm

I'm fairly certain people have said the frame data for B12 in Piercing is wrong and is something close to -4 on block. I can't remember the exact figures but I'm sure someone will confirm
Just tested it, you're right it's nowhere near -20 as even ball can't punish it. I can hitconfirm off two or three hits in most FGs but it's gonna take awhile before I can hit confirm off this at it seems you have to input the ball cancel before the 2nd hit. Thanks for responding

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Yesterday played against like 10 Mileena's and from all the matches I got this impression that once you figure out her "mixups", or just when you know when to expect her roll/tp - she becomes nothing more but a:

Last edited:
B12 is -4. The reason why people don't mention 123 is because the discussion about B12 is usually brought up while talking about her footsie tools. B12 has obviously much better range than 123 and has 10 frame start up, safe on block, hit confirmable and cancellable. F23 is decent as well, though in a situation where you need to decide between the two, B12 is usually the better choice because it's more safe.

@St0rmy Sharpy you are completely right. Outside of meter use, her "mixup game" becomes nothing more than "block low always unless she has meter. If she has meter, just stand up after a string."

Why isn't anyone mentioning using b2,1~2+4 and 2,1,u+4 as mix-up options? People fall for 2,1 tick throw when they know u4 is otw.

Sort of risky, but hell everything in this game is. I use this for oki bait a lot.

Why isn't anyone mentioning using b2,1~2+4 and 2,1,u+4 as mix-up options? People fall for 2,1 tick throw when they know u4 is otw.

Sort of risky, but hell everything in this game is. I use this for oki bait a lot.
because she has no cancellable strings into low specials that are viable up close. So just blocking low for 21 then standing up is just like the rest of her strings... just block low... stand up after the string. That's how you defend absolutely everything she can do in regards to her "mixups" if you cancel 21 into low sai point blank, you're -8, so you get to eat any 6ish frame punish even if your opponent guesses wrong. If they stand up and block the u4, full punish. If they stand up and get hit low, full punish. Just like (insert any string here), there is no reason not to just stand up after you block low. imo, it's quite simple not a viable mixup unless you are playing someone that doesn't just block everything low.

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
She needs faster overheads as normals (not including her ex ballroll) , her U2 In mk9 was life giving, but i guess her F3 is slow but its range is also life giving so im fine , she's still bae :)

TheGabStandard

@St0rmy Sharpy you are completely right. Outside of meter use, her "mixup game" becomes nothing more than "block low always unless she has meter. If she has meter, just stand up after a string."
I absolutely agree with this. I feel there will come a point that when people settle and get used to characters it will be extremely hard to open people up when being the aggressor. As you said and others before, her play should be based around the neutral game and probably heavy focus on whiff punishing.

I just...can't think of a reason why her overhead is 32 frames. Out of all the FGs I've played I think that's the slowest ground OH I know, probably the slowest normal tbh. The range is great but if it takes over half a second to execute it's still gonna be blocked on reaction. Is there anything in the game that's even -33 on block?

TheGabStandard

I just...can't think of a reason why her overhead is 32 frames. Out of all the FGs I've played I think that's the slowest ground OH I know, probably the slowest normal tbh. The range is great but if it takes over half a second to execute it's still gonna be blocked on reaction. Is there anything in the game that's even -33 on block?
There is probably a few specials somewhere that is super negative on block or if whiffed

Raidens b22 is like -63.

Mileena is like -30 from everything.

As ive said before, given the properties of f3, its one of the normals in this game that i feel deserves to be plus on block.

Cassies ex nut punch could seriously stand to have about 20 less frames of advantage on hit as well.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Literally my second day with this character and it seems like everyone is already familiar with her mixup options. I'm finding myself throwing a lot more with her than other characters. It's blatantly obvious she is a reactionary/baiting character. I like that the most and I'm sure I've found a main.

nahoYi

Noob
I am not of the same opinion with the sentiment that her mixup game is easy to block. Between her safe piercing stings, string mixups that lead to lower damage and throw... She is scary. Then make someone flinch one time and they eat big damage.

It is also hard to even hit her with low sai being safe from many jump ins, roll being a high damage antiair, and the threat of telekick.

I think she is a very good character. I am having a lot of sucess with her. I have nearly 600 games with her and north of 70% win percentage. I am thinking she is top tier.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
B 1,2 in Ravenous is safe. : ) I'm not sure if there's a difference in Piercing. Also, I've made several mentions of 1,2,4 and 1,2,3 being amazing strings. But clearly the tidbits I have been throwing out have been ignored. Oh, well.

Back to playing with good players.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
B 1,2 in Ravenous is safe. : ) I'm not sure if there's a difference in Piercing. Also, I've made several mentions of 1,2,4 and 1,2,3 being amazing strings. But clearly the tidbits I have been throwing out have been ignored. Oh, well.

Back to playing with good players.
1,2,3, 1,2,4, and and f+1,2,b+4 are really good hit-confirmable strings after a JiP. It's easy to see if it connects, even online and still have time to do a Ball Roll after. In Ravenous, you can see that it didn't connect and get a free Low Pounce if they insist on blocking low, or you can do the high pounce if you see them blocking high (I believe that's safer on block than the strings).

I try to use f+2,3 as a footsies tool, but I usually get beaten out by other attacks and it's harder for me to hitconfirm. I am a fan of f+2,34 though which splats them right in front of you, leaving them open. And if they expect it, you can easily get a free low pounce or EX-Ball roll when they try to block the low sweep. Pretty good stuff, I think.

nahoYi

Noob
I've completely ignored those strings since standing 1 is so slow and high. What makes them good?
In piercing if you B21 you are in range to do her smaller damage strings. 21U3 is the best one I think. Also you can B12 and are in the perfect range to B21 from there on hit or block.

Meaty D3, choose a string. Jump in knowing they will block, choose a string. After doing B21,2+4(Piercing) meaty F1 and choose the overhead or low string. Low is safe on block and cancelable.

Basically anytime you know they will be blocking and you have frame advantage you can go for that stuff.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I'm actually finding ethereal pretty funny, They were right when they said on stream it was a trolly variation.
Fade, into ex roll is really fun or it's pretty good when they whiff something really big. I won't say it's her best variation but she can do a lot of shenanigans which i've frustrated a lot of opponents who weren't expecting them lol.

but i don't think it's her best variation. Ravenous gives her a way better mixup and it's safer too.

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
I'd be curious to hear your logic behind Ravenous as that's my favorite variation for her as well.
I'll make this post since I've talked to a lot of players and it's not like I don't understand the MK engine and fighting games in general really well. I was one of the more notable Jade players along with Birdsongs who helped dissect and discover the character. ( Hence why they made/asked me to be Jade Mod.). Not to mention, I used to play a lot with a lot of higher level players and have in fighting games for a very long time. I'll be back to playing with them pretty soon as well. I'll also be competing at Combo Breaker as well so I'll keep all my discoveries in until then. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, Ravenous is her BEST Variation. I'm going to elaborate on why in a quick little post.

-Better Damage Output
-Better Oki
-Better Options
-Safer
-Better Mixup
Think of it like this...

Ravenous - Options/Damage
Piercing - Practical
Ethereal - Troll

I'd take Options over any of the other two any day of the week. Just because something is practical does not mean it's good, it's just Neutral. It falls short in comparison to Ravenous, at the end of the day in piercing TOO many things blow up the use of sais the more you use it and the opponent gets accustomed to it. For EXAMPLE Sai's will lose/trade to Jacqui Full Auto, Kung Lao, Quan Chi, Scorpion, Grandmaster Sub, Kitana and a couple others.

Where in this case RAVENOUS is the better choice because early and late game you STILL have many options and situations to choose from. Because conditioning opponents to crouch,stand up, block. You have tools that control them for what they do and how they do things.

@Johnny San You do realize in a game like this you're supposed to be keeping your opponent in a constant situation of block to bait their reaction.
Trust me, Use it more and you'll understand. They are good strings to use after pokes, and they are SAFE. they have the best DAMAGE OUTPUT for COMBO STARTING strings and good for pressure. So why not use them? ESPECIALLY 1,2,3.

Ravenous is best Variation - B 1,2/1,2,3 are her best strings. - D+4 Is probably her best Poke - Her Uppercut is also Phenomenal.

I'm actually finding ethereal pretty funny, They were right when they said on stream it was a trolly variation.
Fade, into ex roll is really fun or it's pretty good when they whiff something really big. I won't say it's her best variation but she can do a lot of shenanigans which i've frustrated a lot of opponents who weren't expecting them lol.

but i don't think it's her best variation. Ravenous gives her a way better mixup and it's safer too.
I like the idea of ethereal, but it needs to be fixed. You can get thrown right out of it where you vanished from. I think mb vanish should be armored, throw two sais and give you the option to choose away, towards or remain where you were. Make it a guessing game for the opponent.

But that throw out of it has got too go.
For now im sticking with piercing.