What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

The thing with Mileena opening people up is that I understand what NRS was going for with her. Fairly ok pokes but more of a character that plays the neutral with those pokes and her sai blasts. She's suppose to emphasize on punishing (tele-kick and 7 frame roll). Her MB roll is meant to be accessible through playing neutral.

The reality is though that her pokes nor her projectile game are strong enough to substitute a mix-up game, which she needs to open people up. I think f3 should be a bit faster (32 frames holy shit) and for her to have a safe tele-kick(-8 why???) it is not super fast nor super slow but being -8 makes no sense b/c it ultimately leaves her in a neutral state with her opponent when in reality she should have advantage for catching their bs. I think they made it negative b/c they thought people would abuse it but there are still much better teleports even if it were at advantage.

Roll being low though... I want it but she would be ok without it if her freakin f3 was decently framed at 20-25 frames or some shit but 32?? Roll being low would give her an actual High Risk/High Reward playstyle rather than the shitty High Risk/Low Reward hand that she's been dealt. Also her normal issues like d1's hitbox disappearing better than her ethereal teles is ridiculous or the x-ray whiff (smh), some of her hitboxes def need tweaking.

As for her variations:
Ravenous: pretty good although unblockable command grab mixups was what I expected, higher damage combos is alright.

Ethereal: Was the most hype for this one...Why is it grabable if she is stationary the whole tele and they know exactly where she's going to be?? Why you would use this in neutral idk, just seems like your putting yourself into a 50/50 rather than your opponent. Setups are not worth it considering the tele isn't fast enough and you have to cut your combo in half in order to use it safely. I think if we could decide where to put the sai on the ground or even in the air and hold it until we decided to reappear, then being able to be grabbed out of it is justified.

Piercing: The most balanced of the 3 the extra sai stuff is cool but the damage isn't what i thought it would be (damage inconsistent?) and low sai projectile is cool w/ her low profile animation.

I love NRS and I think they did GREAT with the games presentation and with the new characters. The game offline is smooth and enjoyable, although the strict input timing can be unforgiving at times. I just believe Mileena as a competitive and balanced character was a miss.

Roll hitting low would be broken as shit.

Bodied by high blocking? We must be playing different games. Outside of meter use or f3, EVERYTHING she does can be blocked low. F344, 21, b21, f12b4, f4.... block those high and lemme know how that works out.

Considering you just have to low block her anyway and let go of block if she throws sai to avoid chip, low roll does nothing but add a mix up to 2,1, u4. she needs u4 out of combo (same untechable knockdown, and maybe we need to send NRS something about grabbing out of ethereal and the MB version doing nothing. They may have missed that. That's the easiest solution for now. Every other character has a way to open you up w/o meter except mileena. Her strings are not safe either. I'll take u4, with a 6 frame reduction to f3 and be happy, as long as they fix ethereal. She can gurantee at least 30 w/o meter but the problem is just touching someone and not playing straight Y.O.L.O.

I've looked at all of the frame data for everyone except quan chi and goro and 32 frames is preposterous. Give us a safe 20 frame up 4 out of combo to make people have to play defense against her. If not you are forced to use ravenous or lose in high level play. I'm positive the high level people have figured out "hold down block against Mileena unless she is using ravenous."

Seriously. There HAS to be another way to open up people other than spamming low roll.

Anyone have any advice on what is a good way to punish turtles?
throw, they have to guess to tech forward or back throw so mix it up. It's a 50/50 guess

Roll hitting low would be broken as shit.

Bodied by high blocking? We must be playing different games. Outside of meter use or f3, EVERYTHING she does can be blocked low. F344, 21, b21, f12b4, f4.... block those high and lemme know how that works out.
agreed low roll would only change two strings mix up's (f1,4 being a horrible starter) which opens people up more in two situations, a better option is u4 out of combo and reduced frames on f3.

Last edited:
For low roll I was thinking it could put a meta over whether she would use reg low roll or ex overhead roll which in itself is a mixup, albeit an all in one, but that's Mileena's playstyle. I could see how it would be broken cause roll IS 7 frames, ex overhead w/ armor, and has a low profile. Understandably, it's been buffed enough, however, it still would have been a great mixup tool even if it was to be slightly limited in use and/or spamable. Mileena would be fine without low roll.

For sure I want Mileena to have a good, meterless overhead though, if they were to look at her in the future, that would be priority for me. The only way a character wouldn't have a good overhead would be if they were a godlike command grab character, spacing character, or keepaway/zoning character. Which Mileena is none of, nor can be unless she underwent drastic changes in her playstyle, which I don't want.

Last edited:

Histrionik

Wake-Up Rolls, bitch.
Anyone else having problems with B3 sometimes phasing through the enemy after a Roll? I can get video capture if need be, but sometimes during a B12 xxRoll, B3, her legs go through the other character and there is no launch. ?

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Anyone else having problems with B3 sometimes phasing through the enemy after a Roll? I can get video capture if need be, but sometimes during a B12 xxRoll, B3, her legs go through the other character and there is no launch. ?
I found the most consistent way to combo into B3 is to either run cancel into it or walk a bit forward beforehand.

Rapid99

Resident Mileena Researcher
While Johnny's post is foolproof (run cancelling will always get you in range) if you're like me and have derp-hands that sometimes drop run cancels I've found that if you actually wait just an ever-so-tiny split second before you use B3 it will connect more often than if you use it as soon as you can after landing B12, xxRoll.

I've found the problem is a result of them phasing through her feet if they are too high for some reason.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
While Johnny's post is foolproof (run cancelling will always get you in range) if you're like me and have derp-hands that sometimes drop run cancels I've found that if you actually wait just ever-so-tiny split second before you use B3 it will connect more often than if you use it as soon as you can after landing B12, xxRoll.

I've found the problem is a result of them phasing through her feet if they are too high for some reason.
This is what I do as well. I believe the active frames on the attack are shorter than the actual animation, so that's why the go through her legs.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
By the way, has anyone else gotten Mileena's primary costume to be completely white? I was playing a match online and it popped up as her alt. color somehow. She was tan with a pure white suit.

It was hot as fuck.

Rapid99

By the way, has anyone else gotten Mileena's primary costume to be completely white? I was playing a match online and it popped up as her alt. color somehow. She was tan with a pure white suit.

It was hot as fuck.
So you mean the entire costume was white? Not just pink with white accents? If so I wish to view this for uh... research purposes.

Personally though I can't wait to get my figurative hands on the Vampiress costume, looks so good.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
So you mean the entire costume was white? Not just pink with white accents? If so I wish to view this for uh... research purposes.

Personally though I can't wait to get my figurative hands on the Vampiress costume, looks so good.
All white. Maybe a graphical glitch since all alts have multiple colors on them. It was blended well though. If you've ever played Killer Instinct, she looked like Maya with Color 4 (White) selected.

Is there a way to rewatch past online matches? I should've taken a screenshot.

Last edited:

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
This is the grab tech Kiko posted:

Surely this can be expanded somehow. At this point, it doesn't seem too great in my opinion. I'd follow this guy though. Huge tech monster. Maining Mileena too.

Rapid99

This is the grab tech Kiko posted:

Surely this can be expanded somehow. At this point, it doesn't seem too great in my opinion. I'd follow this guy though. Huge tech monster. Maining Mileena too.
I saw this earlier and honestly I feel like the only hope for this particular tech is if super late in a combo after u3 meter the throw tech somehow out-damages a finisher string due to damage scaling.

I'll test it tonight but somehow I feel that following the u3 with b21, 2+4 in Piercing or f23, High Pounce / Low Pounce in Ravenous will probably be more damage.

nahoYi

Noob
You guys want to open people up? F+4 into ex roll is hard to block. It either catches you low for a combo, or is an instant mixup.

Rapid99

You guys want to open people up? F+4 into ex roll is hard to block. It either catches you low for a combo, or is an instant mixup.
To add to this I'll just add a word of caution. F4 is a little on the slow side sometimes so if you're in a situation where your strings needs to be quick I'd recommend trying out 21, ExRoll . It's a simple mid-low string that comes out quite fast, especially for Mileena.

OR

If you have a little start-up leeway (for example against a grounded opponent) give f12, b3, ExRoll a try. f1 tends to be a tiny bit buggy outside of Piercing (in which it gets a buff) but it's multi-hit and as such can snuff slower armored wake-ups and the entire string f12, b3 is only -6 on block so is safe against a lot of characters even without the ExRoll for mix-up.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
After spending as much time as possible I unfortunately have to give up on Ethereal for the time being. While I have come up with some nice setups and decent combos the problem is it feels like the teleport just doesn't work as it was supposed to. Maybe if the frame data was true and Fade Away was 1-frame start up I could formulate a decent zoning/keep away gameplan. However this is not the case so until the teleport is fixed I'm going to move onto the other two variations. I will still play Ethereal on the side but all my focus will shift away from that variation.

Rodrigue

Spongerod
The more I play her, the more I realize how bad she is. Her only viable string is b12. 21 and b21 are also okay but they should have a faster startup.
I'll see what I can come up with Ethereal. She might stand a chance if we cancel her strings into vanish, not sure yet

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
The more I play her, the more I realize how bad she is. Her only viable string is b12. 21 and b21 are also okay but they should have a faster startup.
I'll see what I can come up with Ethereal. She might stand a chance if we cancel her strings into vanish, not sure yet
You can cancel most of her strings to Fade Towards/Away but the startup/recovery of the teleport is not great so good opponents can punish when you reappear. To me the variation heavily relies on getting into your opponent's head.

Not to sound too negative, just stating how I find Ethereal

You can cancel most of her strings to Fade Towards/Away but the startup/recovery of the teleport is not great so good opponents can punish when you reappear. To me the variation heavily relies on getting into your opponent's head.

Not to sound too negative, just stating how I find Ethereal
You can be hit or thrown out of cancelling anything into the teleport. even on hit.