What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDTran

Just a guy.
Considering how Sonya slipped under the radar for so long in MK9 before people realized how ridiculous she was, I'm pretty surprised more people don't seem to be playing her this time around.
Agreed, Covert Ops Sonya is definitely good, it's just a matter of how good. Sure, she doesn't have the flashy combos that people want, but she's super effective with some easy hit-confirms, some great buttons for forcing mixups, and some pretty good safety overall. I wouldn't mind giving up the parry from the kit (granted, the parry does get a lot of damage and is a good parry), for something else simply because parries and counters never pan out at high-level.

Shady

Noob
Considering how Sonya slipped under the radar for so long in MK9 before people realized how ridiculous she was, I'm pretty surprised more people don't seem to be playing her this time around.
I picked up Sonya fairly early on in MK9 as my secondary and am doing so again. The problem for me right now is I'm messing around with the drone, and I just don't see any viable safe strings or anything that leaves you at a decent position on block. I get that that variation isn't about combos (I play spec ops Cassie, I get it), but has anyone been able to figure out which strings are safe?

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
I picked up Sonya fairly early on in MK9 as my secondary and am doing so again. The problem for me right now is I'm messing around with the drone, and I just don't see any viable safe strings or anything that leaves you at a decent position on block. I get that that variation isn't about combos (I play spec ops Cassie, I get it), but has anyone been able to figure out which strings are safe?
B332
All the special moves outside of drones are unsafe on block....Mind you being slightly negative on block is still technically safe since they can't punish you...But at the same time, you can't continue pressure since you will be outpoked...Also, you pretty much want to end all your options into 2134 if you don't have your drone out cause it allows you get back another drone out in time before the opponent can hit you on their wakeup....From there you want to end your string pressure with one of your drone options since you get hella frame advantage off of it (Heavy Blast +9, Homing Missile +40, Mid Kamikaze +31, Low Kamikaze +40) There is a chance the frame data is wrong but I tested it via block always on and have jump on to see who gets to their jump apex first...If you have any other questions, you can always hit me up about it or you can continue posting here in the general thread or the SF thread that someone made a few days ago :D

Shady

Noob
B332
All the special moves outside of drones are unsafe on block....Mind you being slightly negative on block is still technically safe since they can't punish you...But at the same time, you can't continue pressure since you will be outpoked...Also, you pretty much want to end all your options into 2134 if you don't have your drone out cause it allows you get back another drone out in time before the opponent can hit you on their wakeup....From there you want to end your string pressure with one of your drone options since you get hella frame advantage off of it (Heavy Blast +9, Homing Missile +40, Mid Kamikaze +31, Low Kamikaze +40) There is a chance the frame data is wrong but I tested it via block always on and have jump on to see who gets to their jump apex first...If you have any other questions, you can always hit me up about it or you can continue posting here in the general thread or the SF thread that someone made a few days ago :D
Yeah, compared to the Cassie forum, I'm surprised that not more people are here. But then again, in MK9 it took people a while to get to Sonya and look how that turned out. I was always going to use her as my second after Cassie. Looking forward to testing those. Yeah, I just don't trust NRS frame data and wouldn't have time to test EVERY move this week. Thanks for some pointers man.

Jayroc

Hat tier ftw
Reverse input setup from NJP. If catch opponent with NJP then follow with a jump punch do a arc kick when u land and you'll land on the other side of opponent. This is tested on small and large characters. Probably can be tech rolled but maybe someone can check while I'm away. It's just a gimmick but something that could come in handy for a surpirse.

Reactions: jmt

SZSR

Noob
Do you guys know if it's possible to break Covert Ops' Command grab from Military Stance? (db2, 1 I think is the input)

Picking up this character. Took her out for a spin in practice mode and she had alot going for her.

I think the vast (like, 80%) of my matches online are now against zoners. Appears to be the flavor of the month, and she seems to be quite tricky to zone- which proves useful.

Last edited:

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
Her uppercut whiffs a lot, for me atleast. Also, I'd rather have something I can follow up with or into a small combo. What about for punishing after blocking an unsafe move or anti cross up?
you cant uppercut people directly above you, it's what flash's uppercut was supposed to be like :DOGE

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
SF is hella good...Yeah it takes some setup to use and you sacrifice damage here and there but goddamn you are hella safe in it

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
It does feel hella tight when you are full screen shooting energy ring and homing missiles and then you send in a Kamikaze

skater11

The saltiest
I play covert ops Sonya and I'm pretty good with her. If anyone would like to add me on Xbox one and get a few games in let me know. I'm ok with mirrors or anything. I would mostly like to play one of you guys who play with Sonya special forces, because I've yet to play one.

Kakashi

Noob
What is sonyas best anti air, anti cross up, and punish string? Anyone?
Best anti air: Uppercut or DF+4 (MB)
Anti cross up: standing 1 is very good, works on almost every character., Uppercut.
punish string: B1,4 is excellent for me, good range,fast and is overhead and low.

Status
Not open for further replies.