What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
What are an opponent's options against Demo Sonya doing b332 stun grenade with a delayed explosion? There is a gap before the grenade explodes but it seems like if the opponent attempts to poke back Sonya can detonate the grenade and punish. The delayed detonation also catches jumps.

It seems like backdash is an option midscreen and advancing armor can work, but is that it? Does the opponent basically have to told 50/50s until the grenades run out if they are in the corner and/or have no good advancing armor attacks?
The Sonya player has to make a read. They can detonate the grenade early, if they suspect u'll jump/backdash/poke, but if u block it then u get a full punish. If the sonya player expects u to respect it, they can delay it and go for a free 50/50.

You basically just got to guess or use armor moves which advances your or reveres positions.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
Can someone help me out please.
I struggle against hard zoners
how do you guys handle these matchups with demolition?

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
I hope covert ops gets something refreshing. She feels so auto-pilot compared to other characters. She's my main but it makes me want to play someone else.

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Can someone help me out please.
I struggle against hard zoners
how do you guys handle these matchups with demolition?
Armored arch kick will get you in. I use that a lot. Well timed jumps and dive kicks work also but be careful with those. Once I am in I end combos in close. I main Covert Ops so I end in 124. The thing with Demolition is that many of her strings send the opponent away to safe reload. You can try ending at 2134 and reload. It doesn't give you any advantage though. I think you can cancel f4 after the first hit and reload and keep the opponent close as well. I don't know the exact frame data on these since I don't use the variation much but those are some idea.

Also the projectile trade war can work out for you. You can hold block and make the grenade still explode without the wiff animation for throwing full screen. You probably knew that but just in case you didnt. Hope those ideas help.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
You can hold block and make the grenade still explode without the wiff animation for throwing full screen. You probably knew that but just in case you didnt. Hope those ideas help.
Can u tell me what u mean exactly? I throw grenades and keep blocking at the same time??

Dedlock

Noob
I hope covert ops gets something refreshing. She feels so auto-pilot compared to other characters. She's my main but it makes me want to play someone else.
I hope so to, granted to have MS1 actually work now in mixups will make a good difference, I still feel she needs tweaks here and there, to have her moves better mesh.

Her combos need to be given another look because everybody in all variations focus on just a couple ( 121, B12 and B332) and ignore the remainder.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Her combos need to be given another look because everybody in all variations focus on just a couple ( 121, B12 and B332) and ignore the remainder.
Not necessarily, I can't speak for everyone else but I also use B33U4 for corner conversions, F2B1 in footsies, 11 for punishes since it has some of the best cancel advantage of all her strings both on block and on hit and 2134 as an ender. People just happen to use 121 because it's a great pressure string since it leaves her +2, B12 isn't a string lol and B332 is also great as it's a safe hit confirmable low that can also be used for mixups between B332~special, B332 itself to leave her at -5 on block and B33212 for either chip or expecting people to press a button and getting the free hit advantage which can be used for a reload in Special Forces for example (and I guess a gimmicky one in Demo). That's already a good bunch of her strings, not every one of them is going to be useful :p Look at a variation like Impostor Shinnok, it has very few strings and even then it still has some you'd never use.

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
Can u tell me what u mean exactly? I throw grenades and keep blocking at the same time??
So in combo you throw the grenade and then hit 1 again for it to explode. Because Sonya is still in the animation of the grenade toss the 1 never comes out. If you throw it from full screen and the grenade toss animation has ended and you want the grenade to explode. If you just hit 1 Sonya will throw out the 1 and you will be caught in a wiff animation. Instead hold block and press 1 so the 1 never comes out. The block recovers faster and you can run in and combo. Does that make sense?

Vjeekes

DevilApes
So in combo you throw the grenade and then hit 1 again for it to explode. Because Sonya is still in the animation of the grenade toss the 1 never comes out. If you throw it from full screen and the grenade toss animation has ended and you want the grenade to explode. If you just hit 1 Sonya will throw out the 1 and you will be caught in a wiff animation. Instead hold block and press 1 so the 1 never comes out. The block recovers faster and you can run in and combo. Does that make sense?
U rule bro! thx

Status
Not open for further replies.