What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
Covert Ops is the way to go. Her ->db2 allows 25%+ combos every time you land a poke or 50/50 or they whiff something or you block something unsafe. Just play her as a pure rush down and turn every blow landed into a nasty combo. The only real downside to playing her is online with lag; the hit confirming and precise timing of her juggles can be difficult to do consistently.

I predict she will be seeing lots of top 8s once the top .1% get around to trying her out.

cashthesehands

monster masher
Covert Ops is the way to go. Her ->db2 allows 25%+ combos every time you land a poke or 50/50 or they whiff something or you block something unsafe. Just play her as a pure rush down and turn every blow landed into a nasty combo. The only real downside to playing her is online with lag; the hit confirming and precise timing of her juggles can be difficult to do consistently.

I predict she will be seeing lots of top 8s once the top .1% get around to trying her out.
Yep, you gotta stay in. Full screen is death! Luckily with the run button it's not quite as bad closing the gap as it was in MK9.

I'm really digging her F2 as well. Fairly fast, advancing mid. Any use for meter for her? I'm going to mess around with enhanced throws later.

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
Yep, you gotta stay in. Full screen is death! Luckily with the run button it's not quite as bad closing the gap as it was in MK9.

I'm really digging her F2 as well. Fairly fast, advancing mid. Any use for meter for her? I'm going to mess around with enhanced throws later.
f2 is nasty.

I've been using most of my meter on EX db4 to go through projectiles and get a knockdown from full screen and for breakers. Once I get them on the ground its just a matter of b14->db24,21->db21 over and over until they adjust by delaying getting up or actually managing to block it. Countering their adjustments is usually just changing the db24 into a db21 or db23. And so it goes with the mind games, but they are playing your game, not the other way around.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
f2 is nasty.

I've been using most of my meter on EX db4 to go through projectiles and get a knockdown from full screen and for breakers. Once I get them on the ground its just a matter of b14->db24,21->db21 over and over until they adjust by delaying getting up or actually managing to block it. Countering their adjustments is usually just changing the db24 into a db21 or db23. And so it goes with the mind games, but they are playing your game, not the other way around.
Same.

Pretty much only thing I use meter for are for breakers and xrays. If I need to add armor to my arc kick for wakeups or to blow through projectiles I will. I also like using armor for wakeup leg grab to reverse the corner situation.

Sonya's Xray followed up with uppercut alone is 45%, which is great for clutch situations. She doesn't need meter for her combos, and she builds it fast enough to make use of it often for whatever utility purposes.

chuco_

Noob
f2 is nasty.

How do you time the 21 juggle?(second hit whiffs) I walk slightly forward but this doesn't work at all online.

This is probably a very general question (And not a good one) but I'm having trouble applying relatively safe pressure/punishing. A lot of it is my own timing, and some of it being the state of my online latency at the moment, but I am getting jabbed out of my attempts to punish by a lot of the cast.

Is 121 military stance, or 11 military stance her quickest punish? 11 also has a pretty short range, I find myself not being able to make people pay after block.

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
How do you time the 21 juggle?(second hit whiffs) I walk slightly forward but this doesn't work at all online.
I misposted the combo. Its actually b14->db24, f, 21, 21->db21. What Seraph said is correct, you just walk forward a little after the pop-up or do a run cancel if that's easier for you. I prefer the ending posted over the 1% more damaging ...213->bf4 because it drops them right next to you for another b14->db2...

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
There are exactly 0 Sonyas in the top 100 ranked PvP, on PS4 anyway. Are there any on xbone or PC?

First Sonya player in the top 100 ranked PvP gets my undying loyalty.
I've played a lot of Sonya in ranked and last I checked I was rank 34. I have more Scorpion games than Sonya games right now, but I still have a ton of Sonya games.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I've been messing around with Special Forces Sonya, and I like the variation so far. Figuring out mid screen combos seems to be the biggest challenge, as this variation doesn't seem to be about that. Instead, I think it's about forcing the opponent to respect your drone. Figuring out strings which can make you safely summon a drone, as well as strings which can make you safely set up a drone attack on the opponent's wake up seems to be key.

I'll continue to mess around with this variation, I think it has potential.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
Alright so you guys know how calling gernades is really hard to get without being blown up after doing a combo in the corner? Well if you do for example b1,4>gernade>njp>12>2134 you have a few frames to call grenades and be safe. I tested it against kung lao on roll mode doing wake up spin( fastest special at 6 frames).

_CHINOCUDEIRO_

Machakabotones
Please help me: Where in krypt or how can I find the tournament and major blade costumes? Thanks :)
Also ..if someone tells me the location of 2nd fatality and brutality that would be nice...

Last edited:

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
Please help me: Where in krypt or how can I find the tournament and major blade costumes? Thanks :)
Also ..if someone tells me the location of 2nd fatality and brutality that would be nice...
-7, 20 Hollow Grounds – A new Brutality for Sonya Blade called Boot To Head.
-18, 11 Cemetery Grounds – A new Brutality for Sonya Blade called Garro-That.
(7, 21) 3980 Kamikaze (Sonya Blade Brutality) SPIDER GEM HOLD
(-7, 25) 92 (timed) Tournament Sonya Blade Costume ACID FALLS (it says timed to i think its those golden chest that go away)

Justice

Noob
I misposted the combo. Its actually b14->db24, f, 21, 21->db21. What Seraph said is correct, you just walk forward a little after the pop-up or do a run cancel if that's easier for you. I prefer the ending posted over the 1% more damaging ...213->bf4 because it drops them right next to you for another b14->db2...
I switch it to 12 in the corner. Easier to juggle that.

You can also end this string with Leg Grab for Brutality opportunities.

-7, 20 Hollow Grounds – A new Brutality for Sonya Blade called Boot To Head.
-18, 11 Cemetery Grounds – A new Brutality for Sonya Blade called Garro-That.
(7, 21) 3980 Kamikaze (Sonya Blade Brutality) SPIDER GEM HOLD
(-7, 25) 92 (timed) Tournament Sonya Blade Costume ACID FALLS (it says timed to i think its those golden chest that go away)
(6,42)(Timed)Head Hunter FATALITY It's in Shadow Spider's Hive

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Major Blade is an unlock you get from playing story mode....Just play until you beat Sonya's part of the story, once you do, then you unlock it

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Got around to practicing Sonya a little bit today. Demolotion seems pretty OD.

Looks like most people have chosen to play Covert Ops for the most part. Why's that?

lslick

Got around to practicing Sonya a little bit today. Demolotion seems pretty OD.

Looks like most people have chosen to play Covert Ops for the most part. Why's that?
It's the most straight forward of the 3. Has launchers in MS that bumps up her damage output. Has parries that counter highs, mids, throws. Same parries on ex grant you a free combo which also allows you to throw your opponent in front or behind so you push them to the corner faster. Easiest to grasp out of the three

I'm getting really frustrated playing this character online. Are there safe approaches i can make? it seems like all her moves are so negative.

lslick

I'm getting really frustrated playing this character online. Are there safe approaches i can make? it seems like all her moves are so negative.
You can always just use safe strings and try to hitconfirm online....I know that it can be difficult with the lag and all....Only use special moves when you actually got the hit....Until then though, space using the projectile. Just remember that as long as the move is up to -5, you are technically safe since the fastest move I have seen are 6 frame 1s, Kung Lao's Spin and I believe Sub Zero's Icy Slide...You do have to take a risk for doing your overhead and low options but thats just the design of the character.

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
The Dvorah and Kitana matchups are absolutely brutal with Sonya (Covert Ops specifically). Any tips?
Covert ops is great up close but is really bad outside of f2 range. Dvorah and kitana most likely both play a way better mid-long range than you....so i would most likely pick demolition or special forces in these instances. If you do want to play with covert ops you just have to be patient, dive kick is unpunishable on whiff so use that to get over fireballs or punish them for whiffing moves while your in the air. You just have to be really good at watching meter and "predicting" wether they will do an armor wake up or not. Honestly I would just learn special forces and demolition.....it makes those mu's way easier.

Landonio

n00b
Covert ops is great up close but is really bad outside of f2 range. Dvorah and kitana most likely both play a way better mid-long range than you....so i would most likely pick demolition or special forces in these instances. If you do want to play with covert ops you just have to be patient, dive kick is unpunishable on whiff so use that to get over fireballs or punish them for whiffing moves while your in the air. You just have to be really good at watching meter and "predicting" wether they will do an armor wake up or not. Honestly I would just learn special forces and demolition.....it makes those mu's way easier.
I guess I will if I have to. Thanks. Which version do you think is better between those two IYHO?

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
I guess I will if I have to. Thanks. Which version do you think is better between those two IYHO?
Hmm I would say demolition because you get midsceen and corner combos as if you were in covert ops and the utility of a gernade you can blowup WHENEVER you want. The only downside is refilling grenades takes a long time and you lose a lot of pressure trying to refill gernades....so much so that it sometimes becomes not worth it. Honestly If you prefer rushing down I would go with special forces because it essentially gives you safe rush down tools.....the game is like 5 days old I can't come up with a concrete answer sorry man :'(

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.

Sonya and Sub Zero deal with zoning better than any non-zoner in the game.

Her jump arch is stupid good and you can Dive Kick 90% of projectiles. I can't think of a single zoner that can keep Sonya out at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.