What's new

Something that SERIOUSLY bothers me...

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
This reminds me of the good ole days when I was playing War Hammer on the tabel top.

The table Top games is where theory fighting belongs and the players don't trully matter. In for example Warhammer I could easily tell what army will beat what army just by reviewing each army's rules and knowing the main rules of the game. A good example would be that the Daemons army vs. the Grey Knights army(dameon hunters) was automatically placing the daemon player is in the disadvantage for the fact that one was built to fully to counter it. Now these kinds of games do not require near as much on player skill as a FG does. In WH if the players had done like many of you have where you all place tiers on the results of tournaments, well since in WH Space Marines is the popular army choice of most players then that list would consist of them be considered the S+ tier army, which in that it isn't that way at all.

Now since I know someone is going to scream WTF does that have to do with anything, here it goes and I'm going to apply something called Logic, Reasoning, and Analytics to the formula here.

In a FG, the characters have to have their abilities assessed and evaluated to better understand what their stregnths are, for instance Sinestro is a zoner his ability to play keep away with projectiles is his biggest stregnth, at the same time Flash is a rush down style character, so in theory he should be at the major disadvantage, but he has his vibrate ability which slightly evens up the match(That is just an example BTW). We have to take into account the game's mechanics(The game's rules mind you), the tools of each charceter, and then the players that use these characeters.

You have to break this down peice by peice, a theory build of a match-up is excluding the players' skills and abilities rather than just basing it off of how these two should fair.

Now, in FGs the tournament results do matter to a degree and should be solely or hold such a high degree on deciding where on a tier list does a character belong. For one take two characetrs Super Man and Bat Man, it is undeniable that these two are the most popular characters in the game, so therefore due to the popularity of said characters, we cannot count tourny placings alone, simply because every tourny is going to have at least on Batman and one Superman player in the top 8 if not more, we have to count who is using them. You must take say the players that placed the highest in the tourny with those characetrs and then they are the one's to follow on. In other words you must find the top player that represents each member of the cast take their placings in tounrys over the course of a time and then you will have your derived results of who is top tier and low tier on the list, after that is gathered and analized then we must also take into an account on the theory side behind the characters and find a happy medium that would help theoretically create the proper tier list.

The bigger problem now is the exploration of the game, you see its easier to derive a tier list in a game like WH simply, due to the fact that the rules likely will not change and the development of the armies in the game will not change either, the rules are set and no true exploration is needed, but in a FG the characters will change consistantly as they are used, due to players newly discovering things these characters can do and how the tools are used, it nearly depends on how imaginative and creative a player can actually be with that character. Even a game lik MK9 that will never recieve and new balance patch or any other drastic changes is still being explored and new things are still being discovered, like as we saw this year's EVO where everyone who believed Kabal to be an unbeatble characetr that he is beatble, or at (I think was VXG) where Reptile came out on top.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
according to tier lists and mu charts, every win I get in tournament should almost be impossible lol, I surely can't beat the odds everytime?

zaf

professor
according to tier lists and mu charts, every win I get in tournament should almost be impossible lol, I surely can't beat the odds everytime?

early tier lists for this game are off because we don't have enough information.
you are like the only ares we know of and that does well in tournaments.
so if it there is only person in all of the world playing this character in tournaments how are we ever going to gather enough information to be able to truly judge where he belongs on a list?

Like ive said before, our biggest problem as a community is the low show up rate to tournaments and the low representation of high level play.

You have 2 top players like wound and p2w, who ever they use they are going to make top 8 or top 16.
Its not just sinestro here.

If you did watch wound vs king, wound was struggling to find any room to get out trait.
When batman is on sinestro like that, trait will be a fight to get out. So yes that can still be a valid arguement for some of sinestros losing match ups. He cant get that trait. Even when he did get trait, king just clashed.....

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Owner
Administrator
Premium Supporter
also, I am not upplaying Ares, bottom 3, just throwing out provocative statements :]

TheSpore

zaf: your idea of a back room councel to decide the tier list is a valid one I will give you that and it must just stand to reason of exactly who should be representative of each member of the game's cast should be involved and also it has to be taken into account as well as the technical asppects of the game as well.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Sinestro is difficult to place because of his trait. Without it, he is a thoroughly mediocre character that has no footsies and is unsafe on everything. With trait however, he is definitely one of the best characters in the game; he does whatever he wants. Also zaf i was not playing the batman mu correctly. P2W was close to beating King because he knew it better.

TheSpore

Sinestro is difficult to place because of his trait. Without it, he is a thoroughly mediocre character that has no footsies and is unsafe on everything. With trait however, he is definitely one of the best characters in the game; he does whatever he wants. Also zaf i was not playing the batman mu correctly. P2W was close to beating King because he knew it better.
All I know is that your Sinestro is the bane of my main's existence

zaf

professor
zaf: your idea of a back room councel to decide the tier list is a valid one I will give you that and it must just stand to reason of exactly who should be representative of each member of the game's cast should be involved and also it has to be taken into account as well as the technical asppects of the game as well.
this backroom idea i have and plan to do will only encompass maybe 10 or so people.
none of them are to be character loyalists. that has too much room for bias
i plan to select people from every region for balance
also it will not just be top 8 tourney placers, but some people who are just very knowledgeable and understand how to go about match up and tier discussion

zaf

professor
Ok good to know wound. At least you are capable of knowing that you have things to work on.

If you take a look right here people..... How can we base tier lists on tournament results when a player who got 3rd admitted he was not playing properly, yet someone who was got 7th...

Seems a little weird to be basing this type of information on what we want our tier lists to be.
This is the problem I have with them.

ryan, also really happy to see you sticking with sinestro over ba.

TheSpore

this backroom idea i have and plan to do will only encompass maybe 10 or so people.
none of them are to be character loyalists. that has too much room for bias
i plan to select people from every region for balance
also it will not just be top 8 tourney placers, but some people who are just very knowledgeable and understand how to go about match up and tier discussion
This is where I have a slight disagreement, yes you need poeple who understand the theory, but by have a characetr loyalist to represent each characeter, will help with deciding at an unbiased rate.

zaf

professor
Wouldn't character loyalists be the best to ask..?
This is where I have a slight disagreement, yes you need poeple who understand the theory, but by have a characetr loyalist to represent each characeter, will help with deciding at an unbiased rate.

Yes and no.

MK9 proved that a large group of character loyalists still could not come together to work on an actual tier list.
There was too much bias and not enough real work getting done.

Like I said, smash has it down pat. I will work how they work and there will be a final product.

TheSpore

Yes and no.

MK9 proved that a large group of character loyalists still could not come together to work on an actual tier list.
There was too much bias and not enough real work getting done.

Like I said, smash has it down pat. I will work how they work and there will be a final product.
This is why an outside party is required to mediate and create a final agreement. You have to collect data and that data has to be analyzed by someone who has 0 bias towards anything, such as say taking the data and having it analyzed by say a SF4 top player, one who does not compete in IGAU, but is still a experienced top player within the genre of FGs. A outside party can easily take the data you have collected and still better understand what is happeneing in that data to make a final assessment.

zaf

professor
This is why an outside party is required to mediate and create a final agreement. You have to collect data and that data has to be analyzed by someone who has 0 bias towards anything, such as say taking the data and having it analyzed by say a SF4 top player, one who does not compete in IGAU, but is still a experienced top player within the genre of FGs. A outside party can easily take the data you have collected and still better understand what is happeneing in that data to make a final assessment.
I completely understand what you are getting at.
the outside group should just be igau players honestly.
sf4 players could definitely contribute to a tier list but it is best to leave it to igau players.
only reason i say not to use character loyalists is because it is too large of a group.
it is possible, to one day have a group like this....but not at the start. it needs to grow first.
a condensed group of 10-15 people, who have knowledge spread out across the game is something that will work.

haketh

Noob
even so sinestro is shit on tier lists yet makes top 8 at every major with multiple people, so how can he not be a top 10 character
People doing good with characters does not mean the character is Top 10. Knuckledu and Dieminion do extremely well with Guile in SFIV, the character still isn't TOp 10 and has a ton of problems, their just godlike players.

TheSpore

I completely understand what you are getting at.
the outside group should just be igau players honestly.
sf4 players could definitely contribute to a tier list but it is best to leave it to igau players.
only reason i say not to use character loyalists is because it is too large of a group.
it is possible, to one day have a group like this....but not at the start. it needs to grow first.
a condensed group of 10-15 people, who have knowledge spread out across the game is something that will work.
Seeing that I am a former analyst if you need help with reviewing data let me know, it sounds like what you would need is an IGAU player who can view the development of a tier list in an unbiased manner towards whatever characetr that player desires. As I said I was an analyst and very much trained in this way perhaps I can help with data review, bout time I contributed something beside my odd itelligent sounding nonsense on here. I am no top player mind you which is why I would not serve well with gathering, but reviewing I can do.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Your ''casual'' words are full of shit.
If that's just ''a game'' for you , don't post in here.
This is a competitive site and many of the players here gain/gained money from MK/Inj.
did u just tell someone not to post here because he called injustice a 'game'? Lmao,stfu u nobnose,noones making a living playing injustice so yes it is just a game.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I get where OP is coming from but at the same time you can't deny that tourney results never lie. I do prefer things based on facts rather than on paper theory fighting and speculation.

Since I usually play "low/mid tier characters" in most fighting games I'm used to being told things that's accepted by the majority. Stuff like "your char sucks and loses all these matchups because this and that in theory and on paper shuts down your options and blablabla" but in practice it's never the case. Most of those people don't understand that human players don't have to play the flowchart gameplan and don't have to put themselves in the situations that would handicap them. They can adapt and develop counter strategies. So you can't base your analysis only on the superiority of tools and specific range dominance.

For example people that say "oh at this range your character loses because this move beats all your moves". Well I'm not going to be in that range when I play that character. "This godlike AA leads to 40% damage into a vortex". Well then I'm not even going to jump forward so it doesn't matter does it. The way I see it some matchups are only 4-6 or 3-7 if you play them wrong.

imho If a character places top 8 in a tournament filled with top Superman, Black Adam, Aquaman, KF and GL players it means that character is at the very least tourney viable and it automatically makes him top 10-15 "currently".
except people that suddenly make tp 8 with low tier chars rely on character matchup knowledge lacking.

look at saltface and deg, they used their own skill + people not knowing about harley and got top 8 multiple times, people just cant grind matchups when only a handful of players play the char at a high lvl

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
At this point I still feel that there's not enough evidence or information. You can put whoever you want in a back room, and all they are going to come up with is lists like the ones we've already had; ones where at least 50% of the information is speculation, theory fighting, and stuff that hasn't been fleshed out in a realistic way yet. And obviously without character loyalists there, that amount of intricate MU knowledge decreases even further.

Whether it's 10 people in a secret room or 60 people on the forum, an incomplete analysis is still incomplete.

And definitely with the patch, it's going to take a long time before people's Day 1 assumptions about the effects of the changes will be completely validated/tested.

TheSpore

At this point I still feel that there's not enough evidence or information. You can put whoever you want in a back room, and all they are going to come up with is lists like the ones we've already had; ones where at least 50% of the information is speculation, theory fighting, and stuff that hasn't been fleshed out in a realistic way yet. And obviously without character loyalists there, that amount of intricate MU knowledge decreases even further.

Whether it's 10 people in a secret room or 60 people on the forum, an incomplete analysis is still incomplete.

And definitely with the patch, it's going to take a long time before people's Day 1 assumptions about the effects of the changes will be completely validated/tested.
I agree you need character loyalists to develop a proper in depth analisys. It takes a final party to review the data collected in an unbiased manner.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Welcome to the 342nd iteration of this type of thread.

For the record I agree but that doesn't stop people from continuously creating their own tier lists, saying stupid shit, or being dumb in general.

Thead

Noob
I really don't get the bitch-fit TYM has over tier lists. Seriously, why the fuck do people care what numbers are put beside each character.

A tier-list is PURELY theory, it represents characters played at the highest possible level 100% of the time. This is something NO human can represent accurately.

I'm all for discussing match-up specifics and strategy, but why the fuck do people feel the overwhelming need to label it with a number. Calling a black cat white doesn't mean it's white.

Every character has the tools they have now, period. Nothing will change that without a patch. No amount of discussion will change what a character is already capable of.

This site needs to focus more on character vs character strategy and less on how said strategy changes a theoretical number.

Bunch of douche bags.