What's new

Match-up Discussion Skarlet Match-Up Chart

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
About Skarlet vs Reptile, you have to remember not only does u3 work against dash really well, she can cancel it ON WHIFF. So if she reads wrong and, say forceball comes out. If Reptile does it too late, Skarlet can cancel to teleport. Even if Reptile does dash later than expected, down dagger can be used. All of these options aren't easy to punish for Reptile, excluding teleport.

u3 isn't just a dash stuff option. It also allows Skarlet to react to Reptile's other options for this move if he isn't on point.

The killer honestly is that Skarlet can react to Reptile's projectiles, even while stuffing dash. If she did not have the teleport, it wouldn't be as bad IMO.

AssassiN

Noob
Knowing more match-ups and having better adapting skills > Knowing higher damaging combos and having better technical skill.

Just because little Billy down the street can do Kabal's 2~ndc infinite and Mordrek's combo videos like a boss doesn't mean he's the best Kabal.

You and Maxter must defend your brother's honor.
Like I said(hope my post is still here), the only thing he needs to work on are her combo's.
I've seen all his matches because he and Scar are the 2 persons that has gotten the most success with her.
He could have won certain matches if he didn't drop too many of her combo's and done more damaging ones. If he would have done that, he would have gotten a lot further.

Ninj entered a few tournaments and didn't get very far.
LOTF has been doing pretty well with her tournament-wise, keep seeing improvements in his matches at MLG and his local scene.

Been a while since I've seen Mosp play, but just to prove that there are other Skarlet players out there that compete in tournaments and not just theory-fight like M2Dave saids.

Maxter

Noob
Skarlet tier list

Here is my tier list based on many many casuals at Raleigh, tournament exp., and a dash of theory and optimism. I still think she is super good.

Slight disadvantage
Kabal 4-6
Kenshi 4-6

These three could be bad MU...but I think they are even.
Freddy 5-5
Kung Lao 5-5
Kitana 5-5

Even MU
Ermac 5-5
Cage 5-5
Cyrax 5-5 (It would be 6-4 without bomb resets)
Sonya 5-5
Jax 5-5 (It would be 6-4 without corner infinite)
Raiden 5-5

Slight advantage
Sindel 6-4
Luis kang 6-4
Mileena 6-4
Smoke 6-4 (It would be 7-3 without bomb resets)
Shang 6-4
Rain 6-4
Csub 6-4
Quan chi 6-4

Large advantage
Scorp 7-3
Reptile 7-3
Jade 7-3
Noob 7-3
Sektor 7-3
Stryker 7-3
Baraka 7-3
Sheeva 7-3
Tombstone 7-3
Sub zero 7-3 (Could be 6-4)

Larger advantage
Kano 8-2
I encourage healthy discussion and am completely open to changing numbers granted we can work it out not just in theory but also in actual matches (enough online or even better offline).
Enjoy!

I'll correct some matchups here
Cyrax 3-7 (It would be 2-8 with the bomb reset)
Jax 7-3 (It would be 6-4 with the Ground pound reset)
Smoke 5-5 (It would be (4-6 with the smoke bomb reset)
WTF is this, does resets really change matchups so bad? i thought resets were situational depending on who controls the most meters and the fights. WTF? Jax GP infinite, this is the most situational one because its done in the corner, and if he gets scarlet into an "infinite", that scarlet don't know what she is doing, she controls this match with no prob, unless you facing Tyrant or CD Jr of course =)
BTW i haven't read this thread at all, i just saw i was tagedg, CD sr has a better scarlet than both, lotf and EMP SCARS, CD was playing with a Diff controller at anaheim and also he was dropping shit like crazy, "He was playing like shit overall" not even 75% of his real skills. I have evaluated all the scarlets and he is top, also EVO doesnt count, he was beaten by his brothers, He did beat PL's Kabal PL can tell you all. Scarlet is one of the best chars on this game used at her full potential, i don't agree much with this matchup, but i believe Cyrax destroys her, at least my Cyrax =) ah and with the reset i 8-2 scarlets, if you don't believe so get me at alaas, and btw, don't start drama out of this post, i don't wanna deal with shit again =/ its just my point of view, And i wont give more fuel to the fire like i do.
Or Should I?

WTF is this, does resets really change matchups so bad? i thought resets were situational depending on who controls the most meters and the fights. WTF? Jax GP infinite, this is the most situational one because its done in the corner, and if he gets scarlet into an "infinite", that scarlet don't know what she is doing, she controls this match with no prob, unless you facing Tyrant or CD Jr of course =)
BTW i haven't read this thread at all, i just saw i was tagedg, CD sr has a better scarlet than both, lotf and EMP SCARS, CD was playing with a Diff controller at anaheim and also he was dropping shit like crazy, "He was playing like shit overall" not even 75% of his real skills. I have evaluated all the scarlets and he is top, also EVO doesnt count, he was beaten by his brothers, He did beat PL's Kabal PL can tell you all. Scarlet is one of the best chars on this game used at her full potential, i don't agree much with this matchup, but i believe Cyrax destroys her, at least my Cyrax =) ah and with the reset i 8-2 scarlets, if you don't believe so get me at alaas, and btw, don't start drama out of this post, i don't wanna deal with shit again =/ its just my point of view, And i wont give more fuel to the fire like i do.
Or Should I?
that's what i was saying about skarlet vs cyrax, that mu isn't good for skarlet at all. I can explain this one as well.

REO

Undead
@ m2dave

CD has never beaten a top Kabal or Lao with skarlet to get top 16. I shouldn't have spoken so harshly. he is a great player. but he has not fought the difficult match ups with her and won.

Let's also keep in mind that he has been to many more tournaments than every other scarlet player here. I went to one major with her and got 17th. I lost to two kabals. Not terrible IMO.

Just saying that CDs two month old Scarlet is not what you should be measuring your reptile against.
Name all other Skarlets who have beaten top level Kabals and Kung laos in tournament.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Or Should I?
This isn't a bash CD thread. he is a great player. But you cant say "I've evaluated all the skarlet players" when you obviously havn't. We have never played and you have never played mine...or Ninj...or anybody except CD...lol

I like you a bunch Maxter and completely respect you as a player and was rooting for you and your brothers at MLG. I still disagree with your brother being the best skarlet. You have no basis for saying he is because you never played anyone else.

Cyrax might beat her 2-8 though...its interesting. But i need to play it more. I dont have much MU exp in that MU.

And YES resets make a huge difference in all MU. The characters that have resets and infinities totally change how your opponent (and yourself) use meter.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Name all other Skarlets who have beaten top level Kabals and Kung laos in tournament.
Thats my point...he has gotten further in more tournaments because he didnt have to fight them...they are bad MU for scarlet and have beaten both myself and ninj in tournaments.

remember im not saying he is bad...just the benefactor of not having to deal with those characters till later in the tournament (as well as using kitana his real main)

i dont want to fight with you reo. but you cant argue my logic here.

Thats my point...he has gotten further in more tournaments because he didnt have to fight them...they are bad MU for scarlet and have beaten both myself and ninj in tournaments.

remember im not saying he is bad...just the benefactor of not having to deal with those characters till later in the tournament (as well as using kitana his real main)

I am going to get real in depth when i talk about reptile vs skarlet, bcuz honestly I have that as a 5-5. The reptile downplay has to stop.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Your logic is, Crazy Dominican has yet to beat CD Jr.'s and Perfect Legend's Kung Lao and REO's Kabal, so we should not give him too much credit even though he is the highest placing Skarlet player at two consecutive major tournaments. Your logic is foolish.

Listen, I respect you as a player, but let me be the first one to point out the elephant in this thread. You and Ninj envy Crazy Dominican. He got the job done with Skarlet when you two could not after all the ridiculous things you have said about the character. I still believe you two ought to apologize for deceiving the Mortal Kombat community with your outrageous statements about Skarlet.

AssassiN

Noob
About Skarlet vs Reptile, you have to remember not only does u3 work against dash really well, she can cancel it ON WHIFF. So if she reads wrong and, say forceball comes out. If Reptile does it too late, Skarlet can cancel to teleport. Even if Reptile does dash later than expected, down dagger can be used. All of these options aren't easy to punish for Reptile, excluding teleport.

u3 isn't just a dash stuff option. It also allows Skarlet to react to Reptile's other options for this move if he isn't on point.

The killer honestly is that Skarlet can react to Reptile's projectiles, even while stuffing dash. If she did not have the teleport, it wouldn't be as bad IMO.
I've seen people comparing Skarlet's dash to that of Kabal's.
Skarlet cannot cancel her dash, it's either an empty dash where you don't give an input or you do:
- Slide
- Up slash
- Down slash
- X-ray

Teleport isn't possible.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Your logic is, Crazy Dominican has yet to beat CD Jr.'s and Perfect Legend's Kung Lao and REO's Kabal, so we should not give him too much credit even though he is the highest placing Skarlet player at two consecutive major tournaments. Your logic is foolish.

Listen, I respect you as a player, but let me be the first one to point out the elephant in this thread. You and Ninj envy Crazy Dominican. He got the job done with Skarlet when you two could not after all the ridiculous things you have said about the character. I still believe you two ought to apologize for deceiving the Mortal Kombat community with your outrageous statements about Skarlet.
wow...this is the dumbest thing I have ever read...he literally won one more match than I did at MLG. not that big a deal...and at EVO Maxter said that didnt count so dont use it as a option.

LOL Dave i respect you...your game play is good. I played you and can say I have seen how good you are. Why do you WANT people to hate you.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?

I've never had to delete so many posts in all other threads combined on this forum than in this one.

CD Sr is a better tournament player, and probably all around better at MK9 than I am. I'm pretty ok with that.

Maxter

Noob
BTW ninj, CD does the highest possible dmg with skarlet, he does 59% dmg into a reset and 64% meterless dmg in the corner without meter, CD was using josh 360 ps3 controller cause his ps2 pad is broken, he was dropping combos like crazy and playing really bad, but Reo can confirm they go back and forth when they play here home and Reo is the best Kabal, CD skarlet is the best i've seen out there, he goes back and forth with my cyrax also, but i know skarlet so much on that match that i don't think no skarlet could do what he does, same with cyrax vs Kung Lao no kung Lao no matter who is it will beat my cyrax i'm too good at that matchup even tho a lot of cyraxes gets blown up By Lao, BTW to LOTF, Ninj is a very good skarlet and also is Scars, i like you a lot too bro and i'm not trying to start any beef, but CD skarlet is way superior one day you will see him use her at her best, he is using a new ps2 pad that he got and its shapping up, this is not an excuses i'm making for him, i just really know his true potential and he wasn't playing well at raleigh.
I agree that you need more tournament experience and this could make your skarlet perform better, you have potential to be one of the best players out there, just need to get rid of those tournament nerves maybe.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Maxter thanks for clearing that up - I wouldn't have known based on what I saw, but I believe what you're saying and I'll go off that. CD's an awesome player and there's no reason he couldn't pull off Skarlet's better combo's.

If I could train with all of you perhaps I could hang with the big boys in matches. But I don't haha

Ninj ok I'm going to break this down piece by piece lol. So in the close range game, the d4 is a very good tool for reptile to use because it is neutral on block and like +8 on hit. I can also cancel it into the green hand for chip, meter build, and green hand -4 on block so I you can't punish it, but you are allowed to poke back as a counter to this. I will utilize the 3,2,1 string and stagger it at times bcuz it is neutral on block, but has a slow startup of 13 frames so I'll be careful with how I use it. I will utilize grabs to set up my offense to get close to skarlet and get a knockdown on her or set up a ex slowball which is +2 on block. I use d3s a few times to counterpoke since it is 7 frames and is -7 on block so I won't get punished for it. I will also stagger strings and then go in for a grab to keep her off guard and having to guess when I'm on offense, now you can tell me up close things she can do vs reptile and frame data so this goes correctly.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
LOL Dave i respect you...your game play is good. I played you and can say I have seen how good you are. Why do you WANT people to hate you.
It is only hate if you take the matter personally. I have nothing against you whatsoever. Your arguments against Crazy Dominican just seem very envious to me. How can you call the highest placing Skarlet player at two consecutive major tournaments NOT the best Skarlet player in the community? It makes zero sense. If you or Ninj had done the same, one of you would have been the best in my book too. You are taking my statement personally.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It is only hate if you take the matter personally. I have nothing against you whatsoever. Your arguments against Crazy Dominican just seem very envious to me. How can you call the highest placing Skarlet player at two consecutive major tournaments NOT the best Skarlet player in the community? It makes zero sense. If you or Ninj had done the same, one of you would have been the best in my book too. You are taking my statement personally.
you said I'm envious of CD...lol that is not true. It's not true for Ninj either. you say i'm taking it personally when you say things that dont make sense. And that have no basis. You say things that are controversial on purpose. I dont understand how this is about me or who invited you to this thread. Do you have a MU to comment on? or do you insist on trolling more?

BTW...you are ignoring my reasoning for stating that he isn't the best skarlet. placing at majors is great. But LBSH...he lost to the best competition. he didnt have the hardest MU till later in the tournament. The Major I went to he won ONE more set than me. I'm not sure what you are missing?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ninj ok I'm going to break this down piece by piece lol. So in the close range game, the d4 is a very good tool for reptile to use because it is neutral on block and like +8 on hit. I can also cancel it into the green hand for chip, meter build, and green hand -4 on block so I you can't punish it, but you are allowed to poke back as a counter to this. I will utilize the 3,2,1 string and stagger it at times bcuz it is neutral on block, but has a slow startup of 13 frames so I'll be careful with how I use it. I will utilize grabs to set up my offense to get close to skarlet and get a knockdown on her or set up a ex slowball which is +2 on block. I use d3s a few times to counterpoke since it is 7 frames and is -7 on block so I won't get punished for it. I will also stagger strings and then go in for a grab to keep her off guard and having to guess when I'm on offense, now you can tell me up close things she can do vs reptile and frame data so this goes correctly.
Very nice post.

if we are talking about up close directly, I would say that staggering 312 can end up in reptile eating either 114 rd into mix up or armor into launcher for big damage.

For every d4 that hits I feel skarlet can make 3-4 down daggers hit in anticipation. they do the same damage so dd wins imo...everyone has a d3 that is -7 on block...that isnt an advantage...in fact. Skarlets d3 lowers her hitbox more and with faster normals allows her better opportunity after hitting a d3.

IF we are talking about up close that means reptile has to get there first. she can end combos in f43 giving her massive advantage to start dagger cancels from full screen. I think this is where she wins...and with armor she can get a combo to push reptile full screen easier than most.

Funny how skarlet players who claim she's top 3-5 and brag her being this secret OP character, can't show why she is at tournaments.

CD, who is one of the most humblest players out there, keeps quiet and does the best out of any skarlet player. I don't know what he thinks of skarlet, but she is good nonetheless, and his execution is phenominal.

This matchup chart is extremely biased imo, for example Reptile losing 7-3? Reptile imo holds his own, and is 5-5
Stryker losing 7-3 also baffles me.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Funny how skarlet players who claim she's top 3-5 and brag her being this secret OP character, can't show why she is at tournaments.

CD, who is one of the most humblest players out there, keeps quiet and does the best out of any skarlet player. I don't know what he thinks of skarlet, but she is good nonetheless, and his execution is phenominal.

This matchup chart is extremely biased imo, for example Reptile losing 7-3? Reptile imo holds his own, and is 5-5
Stryker losing 7-3 also baffles me.
I'm open to changing things...but you have to give reasons.

why is this about CD? I still dont get it.