What's new

Should Watching Tournament Streams cost $$$ on Twitch?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Do you possess the ability to have cash in your hand?

Are you physically able to get to any supermarket, gas station?

Are you not able to hand cash to an employee for gift card?
Well yeah I have ways around it. But there are other parts of the world. Nice to see you back posting on the forums though. It's been lonely.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
5-20 for MK absolutely would be right. We can barely get people into online tournaments with prizes, and how much money again did injustice get for EVO?.... Yeah, 5 people on the MK stream, 150 on spooky would be what hapoens. The biggest thing streaming has is that it is free.
20 people are willing to compensate streamers with a dollar? That's really sad considering the time and work these streamers put in.

There's probably more than 120 people paying Spooky just to chat on the stream for majors at 5 bucks a month, you think there aren't people willing to pay a fifth of that for hours of gaming?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
5-20 for MK absolutely would be right. We can barely get people into online tournaments with prizes, and how much money again did injustice get for EVO?.... Yeah, 5 people on the MK stream, 150 on spooky would be what hapoens. The biggest thing streaming has is that it is free.
Apparently you dont go to movies or anywhere

Im sorry if u think $1.00 for 10+ horus of sheer entertainment and archive is too much

People need to get with the times and help our scene advance and this is a way. I highly doubt when evo rolls around or another hype major NO ONE but 15 people will pay 4 quarters

GTFO here if u think so

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Winter Brawl & Operation Wolf >>>>>> Anything on Netflix. When I was ill a month back, I literally found only 4 things worth watching after some serious vetting. Hell, there was a 5 month stretch where I was paying $8 a month just to watch Married with Children. Why do I pay for that service again? I'd gladly pay $8 a month for a half dozen hours of MK on a stream that doesn't go down every 5 mins.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Do you possess the ability to have cash in your hand?

Are you physically able to get to any supermarket, gas station?

Are you not able to hand cash to an employee for gift card?
The problem lies in that what is very common in the US and Canada isn't in the rest of the continent.

Pig Of The Hut

Well yeah I have ways around it. But there are other parts of the world. Nice to see you back posting on the forums though. It's been lonely.
Whatever part of the world that you are referring to has the internet probably has many options of purchasing a gift card

Pig Of The Hut

The problem lies in that what is very common in the US and Canada isn't in the rest of the continent.
Whats common prevents growth. Im about positive change

Im sure other countries can understand how to go to a grocery store and buy a gift card

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Also I should add that, I would be fine with it, I just have absolutely no faith that the majority of people would be.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
For the channels that put their hard work into flying out to events to stream these events for us i believe we should all be helping. 1 dollar is absolutely minuscule compared to the amount of money these guys pump out to keep us entertained with quality service. As Pig Of The Hut said, it would make me happy knowing that Phil ( 9.95 )is receiving something for his efforts along side his own love for attending these events. As a VSM member i know first hand just how far Phil goes out of his way for us when he doesn't have to.

Make pools free to watch and pay to chat. Make top 8 a paid event. Did Per Per View charge you for events? Does UFC show you the good shit for free?

Tim Static

Adminerator
Pig Of The Hut absolutely, there should be a premium for these streaming events like this. The people who stream put an enormous amount of time, money & effort into doing what they do, and if it curbs a lot of the negativity started with the fact someone can make as many accounts as they want, then thats a very good thing.

Im all for it.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Whats common prevents growth. Im about positive change

Im sure other countries can understand how to go to a grocery store and buy a gift card
That's just how the way things are. They are beyond the control of the interested parties.

Whenever I have to do an electronic transaction my only options are Credit Card or PayPal (another name for Credit Card lol). Anything resembling prepaid cards elegible for foreing services is rare. One example I can think of that works the way you're talking about is one of the payment methods offered by MercadoLibre (latinamerica's E-Bay): they let you print a receipt which you can pay in the bank or in Oxxo (México's competition to 7-11). However, such an option is of course not available for services like TwitchTV.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
No. The reason for this is because streamers don't own the rights to these games, and they don't have any kind of exclusive license to perform these games on stream.
Why do streamers have the right to lock archived footage for any non payer? This is still "PPV" or "On Demand" viewing, it happens.

The money generated from streams would probably be a drop in the bucket to most major publishers, but it would set a bad tone imo. And say they did start making good money, eventually the big dog publishers would crack down and either take it over, or cut a deal; both of those scenarios would mean big changes to grassroots game streaming.
A lot of publishers already contribute to FGC tournaments. Regardless, I see your point here.

Plus, if you make it cost money then you won't grow as many new viewers as you would want.
Archives on Youtube or available on Twitch/preferred streamers two or so weeks after the event for non-payers.

Also, single event paid viewing is mostly a bad business model (I know, it's only $1). Look at boxing and the UFC. UFC, on ppv only, wouldn't survive.
iPPVs for wrestling work very well. These people only do Internet PPVs at 7-15 bucks a pop every few months and stay in business.

I think if the fgc wants to charge for content, or monetize their fan base then they'd have to offer a lot more content than just the tournaments. You'd need actual quality programming, as well.
Like what?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
LOL i can see like.... stream groups battling it out to who has the right to stream an event!!!

But yeah...... everyone who said no..... go look in your couch and dig out a dollar.... you cheap cheap bastards.

mighty_honour_korea

HYO-OO *nut punch*
I just don't believe the MK9 community can afford to turn away prospective fans by implementing PPV streams. Long-term, something that excludes people will do more harm than good.

If you want to see some money start flowing into the MK9 community then what it needs is more fans, more streams, more tournaments, and more sponsors. Something which I believe NRS, and only NRS, is in a position to do something about. Which, of course, they will not.