What's new

Should Watching Tournament Streams cost $$$ on Twitch?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Hear me out!

Idea: Each Tournament Stream costs $1.00 per account viewable all paid to the Streamer himself w a 5%-10% monthly pay out to twitch (Rough figure).

Streamers are ALWAYS expected but never respected (old csz reference :) ) Anyway, for example itd make me happy to know if Phil (9.95) for his 500 + viewers received $1.00 per viewer. Streamers have the duty that they take upon themselves to purchase hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for equipment and have to set it up, break it down, lug it around, replace parts, etc. This isnt fun for us or anyone but its always bitched upon when a stream isnt there.

This is not for casual streams only for Majors, Evo, MLGs, IPLs etc etc etc. And again its a dollar you bums. 2000 viewers for a major and its community could be huge.

How it could work:
1. User signs up on twitch
2. Links Paypal or credit card to his/her account
3. When going to a tournament stream clicks "Order" and a $1.00 charge is charged once to view the stream for the tourney's entire duration. If for any reason stream is terrible and cannot finish due to poor connection then all users $ is refunded.
4. Only one $1.00 charge per 24 hours per credit card/paypal account to avoid duplicate accounts.

Pro
  • Pays the Streamer for his/her hardwork
  • Promotes better quality of stream (idea of reinvesting into ones product and service)
  • Will Remove 90% of trolling and fake accounts
  • Removes ads possibly
  • More Enjoyable stream all together
Cons
  • Costs a $1.00 (lol)
  • Some people do not have a paypal or credit card (This is a piss poor excuse because most of you who dont have something called parents that give you more than $1.00 for school, purchases, etc etc etc. This is a piss poor excuse........Plus ive had a debit card since I was 16 so no reason you cant either. Grow up)
Thoughts? If something like this exists let me know because Id love to steer our community and all the FGCs into this direction. Makes no sense why one or two people should bust their asses off only to have their stream decimated by trolls and idiots. You can troll the new system depending on how much $ and credit cards u have lol.

ShinBlanka
BigE
SwiftTomHanks
GGA 16 Bit
Keits
GoogleMyName
Sabin
Shock
GamerBlake90
STORMS
Tim Static
J360
BeerGuyEd
FunkyP

Pig Of The Hut

Imagine how much this could help the overall economics of FGCs.

If i made $ for example streaming I would be more inclined to put the $ back into the community by buying new equipment, helping more players, running more events. Etc

At worse we're talking about at the very most you might order ($1.00 per) 4-5 streams a month. AGAIN ALL MAJORS not casuals.

BTW do not use "i dont have a credit card" Well do you have cash? Go buy a visa gift card. There are no good excuses for this not to happen.

Id even suggest to jamessmk to make OBS $1.00 per week based on the hard work he does getting those actors on and it would again severely put a dampen in all the trolls

I$AAC

Noob
I wouldn't mind this. It would keep people asking for donations to get better stream equipment.

Pig Of The Hut

I wouldn't mind this. It would keep people asking for donations to get better stream equipment.
Well it would put more duty and responsibility on the streamer himself to provide A+ content and quality streams hence the real winner is the community as a whole.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Questions:

Does the dollar cover the entire event or just their stream? I love MK but I tend to check out other games as they're free to view whenever I want and I have gotten into Persona, Marvel and Tekken this way. Also, I would've never paid for something like APEX as I have no interest in Smash but seeing the event got me extremely interested in high level Smash, it's really hype. So now I am interested in watching Smash tournaments which would've never happened if I had to pay any amount.

Is the dollar for the entire event or a dollar a day (nvm, see this is answered)? At this point why not just pay for top 8 and wait for pools/top 16 matches to come out? Dollar for the weekend/event makes more sense.

How do archives work? Are they a dollar per event as well? Offered at a discount? Free to review to anyone that paid a buck? Etc....

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I believe JTV streamers get paid x amount of cents/dollars for every viewer they get starting at 1,000 unique viewers in a 30 day cycle. Not 100% sure on it, but a co-worker who is an admin/mod/lackey for twitch blathers about it endlessly, and that's a tidbit I recall.

In regards to people actually paying for the service, I don't know how well that would sit. We have an online tourney on this site, with the winner getting a payout to attend FR, and it's a ghost yard. MK Community = A few hundred starving students. :oops:

I think this would cause more harm than good. People without paypal, people too young for paypal/credit card/bank account, people who will just wait for youtube videos, people who dont like being nickle and dime'd.

No offense but Id rather put more money into the hands of the players. However.. I see the point about streamers needing a little help. If a separate TOURNAMENT EDITION stream which featured better commentary (ie people not eating and just staring at the screen), top player interviews, whatever goodies you can think of at the cost of $2 minimum that might work. $1 would go to the streamer with the second or additional dollars going to whichever game the person paid for wants. Helps both the streamer and tournament players.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I liked how they had it setup at EVO, where you had to pay to chat. It eliminated a lot of the silliness and people trolling with their 5 accounts that you usually see at these kinds of things. But, the economics of that work better for a big tournament like EVO. If you did it for WB, I wonder how many people would pay for it.

Own3d used this model a bit for some things, and they just bit the dust. But I figure they had other issues as well.

Monetization of this community is one of the toughest problems, as gaming fans are the cheapest species of animal on the planet earth and will moan, complain, and start campaigns against you if you charge for anything, even to keep your own business afloat. Just ask Sundance.

Pig Of The Hut

Questions:

Does the dollar cover the entire event or just their stream? I love MK but I tend to check out other games as they're free to view whenever I want and I have gotten into Persona, Marvel and Tekken this way. Also, I would've never paid for something like APEX as I have no interest in Smash but seeing the event got me extremely interested in high level Smash, it's really hype. So now I am interested in watching Smash tournaments which would've never happened if I had to pay any amount.

Is the dollar for the entire event or a dollar a day (nvm, see this is answered)? At this point why not just pay for top 8 and wait for pools/top 16 matches to come out? Dollar for the weekend/event makes more sense.

How do archives work? Are they a dollar per event as well? Offered at a discount? Free to review to anyone that paid a buck? Etc....
$1.00 would cover all of kombatnetwork's mk coverage and for this reason Id imagine kombatnetwork would stream its own top 8

Pig Of The Hut

I think this would cause more harm than good. People without paypal, people too young for paypal/credit card/bank account, people who will just wait for youtube videos, people who dont like being nickle and dime'd.

No offense but Id rather put more money into the hands of the players. However.. I see the point about streamers needing a little help. If a separate TOURNAMENT EDITION stream which featured better commentary (ie people not eating and just staring at the screen), top player interviews, whatever goodies you can think of at the cost of $2 minimum that might work. $1 would go to the streamer with the second or additional dollars going to whichever game the person paid for wants. Helps both the streamer and tournament players.
No one is too young too purchase visa gift cards at a publix

Pig Of The Hut

I believe JTV streamers get paid x amount of cents/dollars for every viewer they get starting at 1,000 unique viewers in a 30 day cycle. Not 100% sure on it, but a co-worker who is an admin/mod/lackey for twitch blathers about it endlessly, and that's a tidbit I recall.

In regards to people actually paying for the service, I don't know how well that would sit. We have an online tourney on this site, with the winner getting a payout to attend FR, and it's a ghost yard. MK Community = A few hundred starving students. :oops:
Think major events

I liked how they had it setup at EVO, where you had to pay to chat. It eliminated a lot of the silliness and people trolling with their 5 accounts that you usually see at these kinds of things. But, the economics of that work better for a big tournament like EVO. If you did it for WB, I wonder how many people would pay for it.

Own3d used this model a bit for some things, and they just bit the dust. But I figure they had other issues as well.

Monetization of this community is one of the toughest problems, as gaming fans are the cheapest species of animal on the planet earth and will moan, complain, and start campaigns against you if you charge for anything, even to keep your own business afloat. Just ask Sundance.
I wrote a thing.
Point is I said no. Not that monotization is wrong

You pay $11.50 for a 2 hour movie

asking $1.00 for a 10 hour mk stream isnt all that much

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
yea and people wanna complain about paying $1.00 for MK 10 hour event

thats f'ed up

The FGC are a caddy bunch, they want things well run, streamed flawlessly at the highest quality and for free. I don't mind paying for things I enjoy especially at a low 1 dollar, I'm buying the Injustice comic for 99 cents and I finish that in 7 minutes so an all day stream for a buck is fine to me.

You have to think how the masses think, not what YOU think is logical. Thats the problem.

Streams should be free with additional features costing money. Work on monetizing from that base and you'll have yourself a winner.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
You have to think how the masses think, not what YOU think is logical. Thats the problem.

Streams should be free with additional features costing money. Work on monetizing from that base and you'll have yourself a winner.

Why "should" they be free? These streamers come outta pocket to start streaming and get a small amount of money, more often than not, for insane hours, constantly making sure the stream is going smooth, etc.... Archived footage/footage on Youtube can be free, you still see the matches and such, but why should streams be free?

Make streams 240p free and a dollar for any higher quality. That way the stream remains free but at the lowest possible level.

Yes, I'd gladly pay.

These people travel, buy their own equipment, sit there end hours to stream. It should be like what MLG did probably, 240p, everything else, you gotta pay.

Monetize a stream and wait for the inevitable backlash and drop in viewership. The lower quality option works but lots of people still wont pay and wait for the youtube videos as already stated.

The FGC is way too young/small to try and be monetizing it. You have to come at it from a different angle, one of those is the lower quality thing. Another one would be a "tournament stream" which actually funds players as well. I dont know why you all keep saying "but why" instead of realizing thats just "how it is." Work on that problem and you'll be one step closer to getting yourself funded.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Monetize a stream and wait for the inevitable backlash and drop in viewership. The lower quality option works but lots of people still wont pay and wait for the youtube videos as already stated.

The FGC is way too young/small to try and be monetizing it. You have to come at it from a different angle, one of those is the lower quality thing. Another one would be a "tournament stream" which actually funds players as well. I dont know why you all keep saying "but why" instead of realizing thats just "how it is." Work on that problem and you'll be one step closer to getting yourself funded.

I can understand this if it was 20 bucks for an event but a dollar? Even if you lose 30 percent of views you can a tremendous amount more money. KN had 500 at one point, lose 200 and they'd still get 300 bucks. That's way more than they made from that 500 I'm sure.

You see all those people in the KN Chat for free? sp00ky stream chat only cost $5 and thats for the entire month. You'll make some money but people will just use the free options.

You keep saying its only a dollar like thats the point, lol. Im just informing everyone thats just how it works on a mass scale. Personally I would only fund a stream if some of the money went to the players, but thats just me.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
You see all those people in the KN Chat for free? sp00ky stream chat only cost $5 and thats for the entire month. You'll make some money but people will just use the free options.

You keep saying its only a dollar like thats the point, lol. Im just informing everyone thats just how it works on a mass scale. Personally I would only fund a stream if some of the money went to the players, but thats just me.

You see all the people that paid to chat, and this is just for MK, wait til Marvel. He's still getting viewers, people just can't chat along with it but for those that do he's getting hundreds to thousands of dollars from it.

Streamers deserve compensation beyond the marginal amount they get, I'd easily support a dollar event stream.