What's new

Should Watching Tournament Streams cost $$$ on Twitch?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
My 2 cents. If we had one place where everyone released their content, there would be more money.

Unfortunately it would be hard as balls to organize, but man...we could generate a lot of extra funds for stream equipment, sponsorships, guests...etc.

GRieVeR_SKeiTH

bad player
I support this idea, it really bothers me that 9.95 still has to use this computer that needs to restart every so often. What would really be awesome is for NRS majors where these games(Our games? why the f*** not?) are the main focus to use such an idea to get off the ground.

FunkyP

Noob
This a great post

Thanks for your insight and take on it

Let me ask this....has revenue off of yotuube from videos you upload to it proven to be worth anything ?
None of my videos on YouTube are monetized, there are copywrite issues on monetizing gaming content. In order to be able to do so I'd have to be partnered with a gaming network like which I don't plan on doing.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
None of my videos on YouTube are monetized, there are copywrite issues on monetizing gaming content. In order to be able to do so I'd have to be partnered with a gaming network like which I don't plan on doing.

No you don't, people monetize without going through a partner.

FunkyP

Noob
No you don't, people monetize without going through a partner.
Monetizing off of gaming content without a license from the publisher is a violation of Youtube's terms of service. It explicitly states gameplay footage is not eligible. Partnered channels hold these licenses and if a channel is not partnered then they are breaking the TOS and their channel should be shut down. I've gone through the process, I've done my reading.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Monetizing off of gaming content without a license from the publisher is a violation of Youtube's terms of service. It explicitly states gameplay footage is not eligible. Partnered channels hold these licenses and if a channel is not partnered then they are breaking the TOS and their channel should be shut down. I've gone through the process, I've done my reading.

I'm just saying, people do it. Youtube just tends not to care. I think GamerBlake90 does it.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
no charge, however i do think more commercials should be played.. you could throw in quick 15 second commercials during loading times, 30 seconds ones during select screen choosing and one min commercials during button checks.

couldnt this earn money for the streamer and twitch??

The "networks" are unnecessary if you are willing to put in the work. Reason why people sign up through them is to avoid "potential" trouble since they already have all the contacts and permissions.

AC1984

Kaballin!
No .The moment twitch starts charging viewers, the rates are gonna go lower and most game companies will stop providing pot bonuses and stuff...
I would never pay a dime to watch a stream...On the other hand, I would pay to watch it on HD TV Pay-per-view....

i wouldnt pay any amount of money to see a tournament game im passively interested in

its far too easy for me to get that same content for free elsewhere. even if i dont get to see it, my day isnt ruined.

and im assuming the amount of people who would be interested enough to pay (mk9) are getting farther and fewer inbetween

how do you think you would get away with forcing people to pay when nobody else has been doing it? the standard has already been set

NariTuba

disMember
This would automatically drop the ammount of international viewers. There are complications with exchange rates and availability of credit card services compatible with US internet.

best i can say is if you need help reach out to those regulars in the community

either way you slice it streaming for these games is a tough gig and those who do it obviously have love for their game and scene

respect to anyone who streams games, but the point is these days its an on demand consumer market with loads of options to choose from. if you dont have a recognizable brand or fanbase already in place its a big hill to climb to get there from scratch. takes lots of capital and free time, not exactly something joe streamer is capable of doing.

YOMI Reno_Racks

I have a dream...
Pig I think this idea is genius and is a positive and realistic change for not only the FGC but E-sports as a whole.

Ignore the nay-sayers and haters and find a way to make it happen pimp. YOU are that guy right now has the means, drive and smarts to get it done.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
If streams started on time when they say they would (this will never happen), and kept matches going (always too much downtime), then I would probably pay 1-5 bucks for a big major,

colt

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
the only probly i have with this and most things like it that like a nickel of everyone of those dollars would actually get to the streamer.

but hey AMERICA

LEGEND

YES!
Man most of you are actually agreeing w me which i didnt expect

awesome
problem i see with this are the casual viewers that are there just to kill time, they aren't going to want to spend any kind of money on something they could just watch later for free by some other means. There is an infinite amount of free entertainment on the internet the could enjoy instead

unless you are heavily invested in the community, why do you really need to watch a tournament live?
-
Personally i'm totally fine with giving money to streams of major events to support them and reward their efforts, but i don't think it will go over as well as you think it would

My 2 cents i guess