What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
yeah I read everything here about Shinnok ofc ^^ but still, that vortex dosent feel to be enough and it is realy risky, at least the low variation and before that you have to somehow open your opponent up first and that will be realy hard without mixups.
you're mosty going to land a hit by playing lame as shit and waiting for them to open themselves up. whiff punish with f22, anti air with hellsparks and ex the last hit then confirm into a combo. he seems to be a very turtly character

Malec

Noob
you're mosty going to land a hit by playing lame as shit and waiting for them to open themselves up. whiff punish with f22, anti air with hellsparks and ex the last hit then confirm into a combo. he seems to be a very turtly character
yeah and thats what I mean once people figured him out, I dont belive its going to work. Why would they open themselfs up? I think in imposter Shinnok could be outzoned easy, why would a good player beeing so unsafe to get into your vortex with no reason, also most if not all chars will outfootsie him in close range. I just cant see Shinnok beeing good in the future, as much as I would love him to be at least decent, I cant see it at all, he is just to unsafe... high risk, low reward

yeah and thats what I mean once people figured him out, I dont belive its going to work. Why would they open themselfs up? I think in imposter Shinnok could be outzoned easy, why would a good player beeing so unsafe to get into your vortex with no reason, also most if not all chars will outfootsie him in close range. I just cant see Shinnok beeing good in the future, as much as I would love him to be at least decent, I cant see it at all, he is just to unsafe... high risk, low reward
I can see his teleport do wonders against zoning, and you say he has no mix ups even though he has a vortex:/ that is impossible )

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
i dont think all characters will outpoke him at close range. he still has a 5 frame d1. you generally want to poke them until they get into max range of b3 and then you can do hellsparks at a safe range where all 3 balls connect. also 6 frame d2 helps as a fast button to get people off you. he also has an armored reversal/wakeup which is really nice for a zoner to have

Malec

Noob
i dont think all characters will outpoke him at close range. he still has a 5 frame d1. you generally want to poke them until they get into max range of b3 and then you can do hellsparks at a safe range where all 3 balls connect. also 6 frame d2 helps as a fast button to get people off you. he also has an armored reversal/wakeup which is really nice for a zoner to have
well I will try to stick with him and give him a shot, dont know which other character to play ^^

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
well I will try to stick with him and give him a shot, dont know which other character to play ^^
yeah it seems like if you want to be good at shinnok you have to excel at playing neutral. you really can't force your offense on someone but you have all the tools to cover a lot

Paul Santoro

Pro Gamer / Commentator
Hey guys, I am new to TYM and I have made a Shinnock combo video with his BNB setups using the "Bone Shaper" stance! Check it out here guys and please leave some feedback! I love MKX!

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
@Shamwow0w0w do you have any tips on how to time the vortex options? ive been trying to get the timing and putting shinnok on record and seeing if i can jump, backdash, or mash xray out of the setup but i haven't been able to ever get it consistently

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
Parts of Shinnok appear to be solid until you play with a good opponent. If they have good defence then good luck at ever landing damage. You would think that because he has such a hard time actually opening people up then the damage pay off would be worth it, but his damage is ass. :[
He's not terrible, but he definitely doesn't seem good. I was disappointed that Shang didn't make it, but when I saw shinnok I was cool, but now I'm back to being disappointed. lol

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
Am i the only one that does not like the bone arm look on Shinnok? why coundn't they give a nice looking varation visual
No I agree, in fact people actually have made fun of the Necromancer arms and I don't blame them, they look really underwhelming (lame).

Onto a different subject though, I can honestly see Shinnok as a character that you may have to learn all three variations with. Bone Shaper for the midrange where he excels well, Impostor for the damage and setups/vortex, and Necromancer for the zoning and heavy punishes.

I have the hardest time against characters like Scorpion though, anyone have any advice as to how to deal with him? I always try to look for teleports and raw spears but it just kinda seems a bit hard to pin Scorpion down and make him respect you.

BookBurning

Voidwards
No I agree, in fact people actually have made fun of the Necromancer arms and I don't blame them, they look really underwhelming (lame).

Onto a different subject though, I can honestly see Shinnok as a character that you may have to learn all three variations with. Bone Shaper for the midrange where he excels well, Impostor for the damage and setups/vortex, and Necromancer for the zoning and heavy punishes.

I have the hardest time against characters like Scorpion though, anyone have any advice as to how to deal with him? I always try to look for teleports and raw spears but it just kinda seems a bit hard to pin Scorpion down and make him respect you.
Honestly just go Necromancer. The most you're going to have to deal with is unsafe teleports and some ground shenanigans. Having a spear with Imposter is pretty useful but honestly I'd negate alot of damage in this matchup for some consistent long range spacing attacks and pokes ; For the most part I haven't really faced 'any' good Scorpions yet so I wouldn't know but for the most part I can't see anything beating Necromancer for this one.

RM_NINfan101

Honestly just go Necromancer. The most you're going to have to deal with is unsafe teleports and some ground shenanigans. Having a spear with Imposter is pretty useful but honestly I'd negate alot of damage in this matchup for some consistent long range spacing attacks and pokes ; For the most part I haven't really faced 'any' good Scorpions yet so I wouldn't know but for the most part I can't see anything beating Necromancer for this one.
I play Necromancer Shinnok and typically I'll get Scorp knocked down but he'll just teleport or EX spear when I try to do a meaty flick or summoned fiend or even a judgement fist often Scorp will do EX Takedown if close enough or just run past it or even teleport. So I try playing a more neutral game against him involving F2,2,3 and doing a shoulder charge but it just seems Scorpion will do a backdash and then spear. I suppose I just gotta get used to the mix up Inferno variation provides once he fakes a teleport and gets in.

Malec

Noob
Parts of Shinnok appear to be solid until you play with a good opponent. If they have good defence then good luck at ever landing damage. You would think that because he has such a hard time actually opening people up then the damage pay off would be worth it, but his damage is ass. :[
He's not terrible, but he definitely doesn't seem good. I was disappointed that Shang didn't make it, but when I saw shinnok I was cool, but now I'm back to being disappointed. lol
I feel you, I think Shinnok is realy the ONLY character in the game without meterless combos

BookBurning

Voidwards
I play Necromancer Shinnok and typically I'll get Scorp knocked down but he'll just teleport or EX spear when I try to do a meaty flick or summoned fiend or even a judgement fist often Scorp will do EX Takedown if close enough or just run past it or even teleport. So I try playing a more neutral game against him involving F2,2,3 and doing a shoulder charge but it just seems Scorpion will do a backdash and then spear. I suppose I just gotta get used to the mix up Inferno variation provides once he fakes a teleport and gets in.
Yeah I know what you mean ; I feel like vs Scorpion you're just going to have to play completely defensive (or really anyone with Shinnok.) As he just doesn't have a way to open anyone up and isn't going to contend well aggressively with most of the cast. I've been having alot of luck with raw hellsparks and just playing extra conservatively. Bone flick is safe on block so that gives you some options. The only reason I go Necro is because Boneshaper seems way too slow and punishable vs Scorpions mobility and Imposter gives you his spear which is arguably better than Necro but I'm not so sure yet. I suppose you get the ability steal reset with imposter too ; still not sure.

I think Shinnok will end up being pretty mid to even low tier unfortunately after awhile but that's just my speculation. I have trouble placing him because I feel like his defense is great but his offense is just so bad.

RM_NINfan101

I don't want to place anyone in a tier list yet but playing him is a bit of a struggle (at first). I find he is a fundamentally grounded character that if played right can make opponents flustered with pokes into big confirms and corner carry/control. He may not have crazy damage or even decent meterless damage, but what you do get in the end is momentum, and Shinnok really starts to shine when you start getting momentum and a hard knockdown.

OG Mannimal

OG "OG Mannimal" Mannimal
Yeah Shinnok is very meter dependent, but he builds meter pretty fast so it doesn't matter too much. It would be nice I have meter less combos tho, since we still need meter for breaker.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
So has anybody played enough to form an opinion on the best variation? Pros and cons of each? I'm curious as to what other people think. Haven't had enough time to test them all yet, I've been mainly playing with imposter.

Malec

Noob
So has anybody played enough to form an opinion on the best variation? Pros and cons of each? I'm curious as to what other people think. Haven't had enough time to test them all yet, I've been mainly playing with imposter.
I play Bone Shaper exclusively (not interested at all in the other 2 variations), but I havent played any matches so far, just hitting the lab.
I realy like the idea of Bone Shaper, its just Shinnok in general lacks, I think if he had meterless combos, he would be decent.

what I like about Bone Shaper?

- an actual overhead/low mixup with (f3)/b3,1,d2 into ex df2 or and f3/b3,1, into ex df2
-(f3)/b3,1 has half screen range and should be usefull in the neutral/footsies game, the d2 overhead follow up is also safe and leads to combos
-df2 is a near full screen low and has armor on ex, so u just cant be zoned to death i guess and you should be able to punish alot of whiffed/unsafe stuff. u can also end some combos in either df2 or bf3, giving you the option to chose the side you want to leave your opponent at
-f2,2,1+3 string leaving the opponent standing and at neutral frames, can be used in some combos. f2 on its own seems to be a decent anti air. the range on that string is also realy good

Last edited:

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
I don't want to place anyone in a tier list yet but playing him is a bit of a struggle (at first). I find he is a fundamentally grounded character that if played right can make opponents flustered with pokes into big confirms and corner carry/control. He may not have crazy damage or even decent meterless damage, but what you do get in the end is momentum, and Shinnok really starts to shine when you start getting momentum and a hard knockdown.
I believe his 1,1,2,3 string ends in a hard knockdown, 3 being an overhead. Does he have any other hard knockdowns I'm missing?