What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
I am able to poke out or uppercut the back 3 before shinnok is able to finish his teleport recovery. Were you able too also?
I've been setting the AI to 'jump' in training mode and they don't have enough time to jump so an uppercut should not be able to poke out if you are doing it correctly.

regulas

Your Emporer
I've tried out everything I can and there 0 specials outside of the flick that you can cancel into and make safe. I've even found ways to garuntee they block all three hellsparks (3,1~db2 can be done at shortest distance which is still slighty more then 0 to land all three sparks on block) and any char with a ranged hit or long dash can still easily punish, although at least they maybe can't combo.

Every other special lacks any pushblock so they are too close.

Ojpaxton

Noob
3rd variation has a combo that keeps the opponent standing (not enhance grab) possibly a vortex(no over head starters from what I've seen seen though:( I'll work on it some more

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Bone shaper is by far his best one with tool and diversity. I've been playing a hard zoning, rush in b31d2db2 unless I hit confirm. Then I df2ex, neutral, then 22,1+3 for a standing reset. His d4 is godlike and after a df2 normal he can set-up with d4~db2 to push your opponent away. Also you can Mixup with his b3 because of the low starter.

The unblockable ground smash I have set-up for, but it never connects and I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

From what I've gathered about this variation is that it's small in damage, but his resets are worth it. I'm also abusing his db2 a lot for AA combos.

Also a good strategy I've been using is ending my juggles with b2 to initiate a hard knockdown. I'll then run up and either d4~db2 to check them or open up with b3. (creates Mixup game as opposed to using 221+3

At full screen his df2 won't reach, but if you take a step forward it will land. This is helping for doing a quick run cancel or full run, but stop it quickly by a df2 since. It's risky, but it's quick and once you condition your opponent you can go in for full strings if 1123 and his b3(f3)1d2(OH) set-up.

Edit: ending your juggles with another df2 will grant you free Mixups and pressure off of d4.

Last edited:

Ojpaxton

Noob
Ok so 22 1+3 at the end of a juggle keeps them standing I noticed what would be the best follow up? Maybe df2 or fd2 ( can't remember at work) for a low mixup or what?do they have enough time to react?

regulas

Your Emporer
Ok so 22 1+3 at the end of a juggle keeps them standing I noticed what would be the best follow up? Maybe df2 or fd2 ( can't remember at work) for a low mixup or what?do they have enough time to react?
Best would be b3 since it leaves you both at neutral 0 frames the fast 6 frame combo starter would seem best.

Malec

Noob
Not sure if this is supposed to be this way or not, but after you knock down somebody and immediately try to do his Scepter Strike special, it won't hit... and normally it should hit anywhere on screen. I tried the same thing with his EX version and it DOES connect.

There seems to be a second or less where the special won't hit after the opponent gets up and is standing.
cant belive that its supposed to be like this, it looks realy strange to me and makes this move completly useles in my eyes

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
All I will say for now is I think Boneshaper is legit. This is just first impressions though, once I have more time with the game I'll post some stuff up, possibly tomorrow.

Malec

Noob
All I will say for now is I think Boneshaper is legit. This is just first impressions though, once I have more time with the game I'll post some stuff up, possibly tomorrow.
hope you find some good shit, cause right now from what I have seen so far, I am kinda dissapointed with Shinnok, the lack of mixups and meterless combos dosent look so great to me. (still waiting for my copy of the game :( )

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Announcement: You can convert off of (B3/F3)1D2U2 in the corner with a well-timed D1, DB2MB etc:cool:
4~db2 makes them block all 3, but 4 is a high.
d4~db2 also makes them block all 3 hits. Haven't tested to see if it's interruptible yet.
D4~DB2 isn't interruptible, but all that making all the Hell Sparks connect on block does is look cool and make you feel good because it's still super shit on block :(

Shot in the dark, but can you air teleport to continue combo's? Startup seems very quick, so if you can do it coming off the ground it might let us extend a few things.

habity

Noob
So i started messing around and i noticed if you jump 1,b2,4+EX it does x-ray. Now i play on pc so idk if its just a pc thing but that messes up combos that i can do let me know if its just me.

regulas

Your Emporer
1,1,2,3 it gives you a fixed knockdown right at your feet. It's a bit hard to land in some cases but it gives you advantage to start any other pressure especially in shaper that has some limited level of mix-ups.

Along with the standing finish and the various ranges from specials looks like it will be pretty easy to direct the exact range you place your opponent

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Nobody else finds it strange that his normal Scepter Strike doesn't hit after the opponent gets knocked down and gets up??

regulas

Your Emporer
Nobody else finds it strange that his normal Scepter Strike doesn't hit after the opponent gets knocked down and gets up??
It was noted above. Two possibilities 1: it's a bug 2: they found it too strong and nerfed it. In either case it cannot be used on wakeups.

Looking at it other stomp type unblockables also do not seem to hit like Jax.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
Boneshaper will be nice I believe, Ending combos in the reset and going straight to his B3,1,D2 string (assuming the don't armor out). I'm too tired now, but I want to hit the lab good and hard to see what we can do with that string (B3,1,D2 can hit confirm into db2 if they get caught early. B3,1xx(EX)DF2 after you condition them to block that overhead, B3,1,D2xxEXBF1, leaving him hella + to put on more pressure)

I personally think Necro will be the least helpful variation (which may just come from it boring me).

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Unfortuantely the quality is equivalent to a potato.

112 db2 enhance the last hit, j2, f22 mimicry. from here you teleport low to the ground and go for neutral jump (overhead) or b3 (low).
this is amazing im totally stealing this. in theory this should be a vortex against any character that you can combo into mimicry against with a stolen move. if this is the case then i dont see why you shouldn't use imposter against any character that you can get mimicry in a combo when you have a move stolen. i think you just found the cheap shit.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and pick Imposter vs Jax.... He gets his ground pound and can aim it. He can end a combo with Mimicry and ground pound before they can even jump for a free reset. It's atleast 60% for one bar midscreen.

He also gets a guarenteed 50/50 vs Quan and Scorpion after after 30% or 40% depending on overhead or low. <~~ repeated until blocked correctly. Don't wanna throw the word vortex around but it's pretty much a vortex lol

I'm still testing vs the rest of the roster. Probably gonna upload some vids soon.
Unfortuantely the quality is equivalent to a potato.

112 db2 enhance the last hit, j2, f22 mimicry. from here you teleport low to the ground and go for neutral jump (overhead) or b3 (low).
Maaaan, I don't have the game yet! So I was entertaining the exact same idea you have here in my head after people said he doesn't have any overheads:) instant overhead j1 out of teleport mixed with b3 after you land is exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it could be timed right to be a legit 50/50. I wasn't sure it was possible to time it right so that it would be both inescapable and hard to block, thank you for showing this! Is it difficult to do the tele low enough in order for this set up to work?

this is amazing im totally stealing this
Honestly you kinda don't need to, or at least you don't actually NEED to do the teleport most of the time. You can usually just neutral jump or forward jump and get the same result. The pro's of the teleport are that it might confuse people (doubtful) and it'll build some meter, but the nj2 is - on block. If you just do a forward jump and get the j1 you get a free block string and technically a better combo.

In both cases you can empty jump and go for the b3 into fireballs for the low option.

That aside, how are people opening up their opponents with imposter? You've got 1 low, and its a very very nice one, but you NEED to commit to the fireball for it to combo and can't hit confirm it. If it's spaced just at the tip of the b3 you'll get all 3 fireball hits on block or hit, so that's nice, but when you're up in their face it feels extremely risky. I'm totally willing to empty jump throw, but lacking a real low option, especially that can be hit confirmed, hurts (or am I forgetting a string? I feel like one of them might start low, but I can't remember now and don't have time to start back up).

Further he seems to lack a real pressure game with almost everything leaving him at - frames. d4 sets up nice on hit at least, but beyond that i'm somewhat at a loss.

And while i'm pondering junk i'm having a hard time seeing a point to amulet strike, both normal and ex. At the very least normal seems to give you a standing reset if you want(although mimic is WAY better at that), but EX strikes me as mostly useless? Maybe as a safe EX option when hit confirming (b3 into EX amulet should be safe on block or hit regardless of spacing, but it won't get you much unless you're in the corner unless i've missed some awesome followup).

Oh and can he run cancel anything (I saw something briefly about cage and others having it, but so far haven't been able to do it off of anything? Strings or specials.)

All this aside I'm still liking the potential to imposter. The stolen moves are looking slightly better now that i've gotten my hands on them ,and the mimic special itself is actually one of the best standing resets in the game. I don't think he's about to become top tier over night, but I could see him as a setup monster in the right matchups.

Edit- also as we find more stuff we might want some variation specific topics sticiked so it's easier to find what you're looking for specifically.

this is amazing im totally stealing this. in theory this should be a vortex against any character that you can combo into mimicry against with a stolen move. if this is the case then i dont see why you shouldn't use imposter against any character that you can get mimicry in a combo when you have a move stolen. i think you just found the cheap shit.
You are absolutely right, and I also wonder if there is a way to maybe whiff some of the useless stolen moves (like anti air throws) mid combo and still end it with a mimicry!!!???