What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Since most of the other thread discussion is pre-release, I'll be closing the other thread and opening this one at midnight (EST)!

I'm also going to be maintaining the Takeda and Jason Vorhees threads, so any help is appreciated as my plate will be full with work, TYM, and MKX!

I will keep this OP as neat and clean as possible, with tons of info and links, let's do this!

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Tried out Necromancer and Impostor a little so far and he's not bad. I've found that B3~BF1 is actually a pretty good blockstring and pushes (at least Liu Kang) back so far that you can't really punish it with anything even though it's -9 :) Also I've been messing about with things that allow all three Hell Sparks to connect with the opponent on block and the only thing I've found so far is 4~DF2. I'll mess about with it later. Devil's Flick is hype and Impostor is great for hit advantage but it sucks that he lacks overheads. I wish 1123 launched or something...

Altsa

I played around with Shinnok for a few hours and came to the conclusion that he is not the character for me. Played the rest of the day with D'vorah and she´s awesome. Still looking forward to reading your findings.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Once I get home and I'm able unlock shinnok, I'll start updating this thread. I've only had 30mins with the game, free time is limited right now.

regulas

Your Emporer
Big thing I want to know is if Boneshaper is viable or if Shin will really just have necro alone as a serious viable mode.

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
Do yourself a favor and pick Imposter vs Jax.... He gets his ground pound and can aim it. He can end a combo with Mimicry and ground pound before they can even jump for a free reset. It's atleast 60% for one bar midscreen.

He also gets a guarenteed 50/50 vs Quan and Scorpion after after 30% or 40% depending on overhead or low. <~~ repeated until blocked correctly. Don't wanna throw the word vortex around but it's pretty much a vortex lol

I'm still testing vs the rest of the roster. Probably gonna upload some vids soon.

Last edited:

Youphemism

He also gets a guarenteed 50/50 vs Quan and Scorpion after after 30% or 40% depending on overhead or low. <~~ repeated until blocked correctly. Don't wanna throw the word vortex around but it's pretty much a vortex lol
What 50/50?

Shamwow0w0w

What 50/50?
Well I've been playing with it vs real people and came to the conclusion it's more of a ghetto 50/50. After mimicry you do an air teleport close to the ground and and either njp or b3 into shang tsung fireball. If you do it low enough to the ground it can be very close in frames that they hit, it will be 6 ish frames of a difference so I guess it can be fuzzied but it's working pretty well. spear and trance allow you to keep putting them into the situation.

regulas

Your Emporer
There is absolutely no way to determine this one Day 1.
I don't mean is it going to win tournaments, I mean is it even vaguely playable, given how every sinlge last thing is basically un-safe and theres limited mix-ups.

Youphemism

Well I've been playing with it vs real people and came to the conclusion it's more of a ghetto 50/50. After mimicry you do an air teleport close to the ground and and either njp or b3 into shang tsung fireball. If you do it low enough to the ground it can be very close in frames that they hit, it will be 6 ish frames of a difference so I guess it can be fuzzied but it's working pretty well. spear and trance allow you to keep putting them into the situation.
Uh teleport has 17 frames of startup and 40 frames of recovery so there's definitely no guessing there lol. That's easily reactable unfortunately.

Shamwow0w0w

Uh teleport has 17 frames of startup and 40 frames of recovery so there's definitely no guessing there lol. That's easily reactable unfortunately.
Thankfully they are stuck in mimicry during the entire animation of teleport...

you can't combo after mimicry but it puts you sooooo plus you get a free tele into w/e you like. but they get to block. so it becomes a 50/50

edit #3 lol: i'll just upload my video soon. give me 10 minutes or so.

5M0K3

Grandmaster
Hey guys I just started a post detailing Shinnok. Can you guys please have a look and let me know what you think so far.

Unfortuantely the quality is equivalent to a potato.

112 db2 enhance the last hit, j2, f22 mimicry. from here you teleport low to the ground and go for neutral jump (overhead) or b3 (low).
Nice combo. Unfortunately his lack of overhead will not make someone fall for it

I hate that he doesn't really have any overheads. It makes his stuff super easy to block. I find my self doing a lot of b3-db1 (mimicry) and 1123. I also throw a lot too. So far I found that he's got a 46% with Kotals air grab. I noticed someone say they use b1-bf1. Is that safe? i'm away from the PS4 atm so I can't check it. Iunno, how are you folks opening people up?

Shamwow0w0w

Nice combo. Unfortunately his lack of overhead will not make someone fall for it
they are forced into blocking either the neutral jump punch (overhead) or the b3 (low). they can't armor out, they can't jump out, nothing. b3 is 5 frames. neutral jump punch is 8 frames. if you teleport low enough the difference in timing is extremely close for those two attacks coming out at the same time.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
The way Shinnok kinda plays in this game with his strings reminds me a bit of a character that is definitely unsafe and doesn't have great offensive options (Lack of overheads, meterless damage etc) but has great poking tools and I really think the Bone Singer (sp) variation is getting slept on a bit as it may make Shinnok a bit stronger in terms of damage and setup output. Will have to try it out later along with setups involving Necromancer specials.

regulas

Your Emporer
I've been analysing boneshaper cause I really want to use it, it does seem like a decent footsies type mode after closer inspection. Some things to note (a bit eclecticly organised:

His b3 low is only 6 frames and leads to an overhead which you can also mix instead for an unsafe low. yay bonus strings for the mode

His Specter Slam is super duper un-safe up close, but is just shy of fullscreen range and semi safe if you use it from far enough. It's best use though is for combo's either with ex to extend or just to get a final hit on someone too far away to otherwise reach.

His F2 and the second hit after a f3 or b3 both have fantastic range. F2 is also an anti-air and both it and it's string are safe.

While his septer strike is slow it can be used to bait them into jumping into either the slam or hell sparks.

The wierd thing with boneshaper is that it's very sketchy on when to use specials, you basically seem to have to hitconfirm because they are mostly just too unsafe otherwise.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I've been analysing boneshaper cause I really want to use it, it does seem like a decent footsies type mode after closer inspection. Some things to note (a bit eclecticly organised:

His b3 low is only 6 frames and leads to an overhead which you can also mix instead for an unsafe low. yay bonus strings for the mode

His Specter Slam is super duper un-safe up close, but is just shy of fullscreen range and semi safe if you use it from far enough. It's best use though is for combo's either with ex to extend or just to get a final hit on someone too far away to otherwise reach.

His F2 and the second hit after a f3 or b3 both have fantastic range. F2 is also an anti-air and both it and it's string are safe.

While his septer strike is slow it can be used to bait them into jumping into either the slam or hell sparks.

The wierd thing with boneshaper is that it's very sketchy on when to use specials, you basically seem to have to hitconfirm because they are mostly just too unsafe otherwise.
Perhaps it's meant to be some sort of heavy punish variation that rewards you on well placed footsies based on this description. Makes me really wanna try it out later.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Not sure if this is supposed to be this way or not, but after you knock down somebody and immediately try to do his Scepter Strike special, it won't hit... and normally it should hit anywhere on screen. I tried the same thing with his EX version and it DOES connect.

There seems to be a second or less where the special won't hit after the opponent gets up and is standing.

Unfortuantely the quality is equivalent to a potato.

112 db2 enhance the last hit, j2, f22 mimicry. from here you teleport low to the ground and go for neutral jump (overhead) or b3 (low).
I am able to poke out or uppercut the back 3 before shinnok is able to finish his teleport recovery. Were you able too also?