What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Does anyone know how to use the "Set Guard Recovery Actions"? I can record the guard recover action and set it to on, but then they won't use it. All that changes is a small box in the middle of the screen that says "Guard Recover Action".

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
It is a very interesting topic tho, I do agree with your statement, Kung Fu is much like many other forms of Martial Art an evolving form of combat such that in China Kung Fu is one of many Variations of the Chinese Martial Arts, others include Wushu ( i did practise this one for 2 years, very interesting, unfortunally requires a lot of dedication and time, such things i lack atm lol) I dunno as far as saying which is more applicable/better because i believe there is no way to determine a standard because every individual has its strenghts and weaknesses, but i can say tho that Monks in China Train Something i dont see very often in MMA fighters, that is the iron body training, and that training alone will make them quite resilient and honestly they can take a hell of a punishment without exausting the fighter.... I dunno tho, its a matter of prespective and fighter in question i guess... Sorry if i revived the topic of MMA vs KF and derailed the thread.
The thread hadn't seen much action since its initial derailing...

Techniques in martial arts are only effective through a thorough understanding of the underlying principals driving them. Being a coordinated dance partner in steps along with understanding the weight shifts, spacing, and angles - and being able to block and attack at the same time - while balancing recognition of threats and opportunities alike are what the fundamentals of kung-fu are about, but once you get comfortable - its very effective to use a perceived threat to veil a completely unperceived one, but very real one. I never want to hurt anyone, but I love to spar so I can help break down narrow-minded vision and help to naturally reform it.

GAV

Does anyone else think Fang looks completely overpowered when compared to the rest of the cast?

GAV

Super noob question, but how do you do combos in this game? I can't seem to get any normal attacks to link (like lk into mp, etc).
You never played Street Fighter Alpha, huh? You just have to figure out what button to hit next to keep it going, then get down the timing - which isn't all that strict.

A safe bet is to go from weaker to the next level of stronger attacks.

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
You never played Street Fighter Alpha, huh? You just have to figure out what button to hit next to keep it going, then get down the timing - which isn't all that strict.

A safe bet is to go from weaker to the next level of stronger attacks.
That's what I've been trying to do, but so far I can only do the dial-in combos listed in the command tab. Is that all you can do in this game?

Zebster

How's my volume?
That's what I've been trying to do, but so far I can only do the dial-in combos listed in the command tab. Is that all you can do in this game?
Depends on the character. Some were nerfed to the point that they have very limited combo options, but I believe everyone has some combo capability outside of target combos.

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I've figured out some combos, just no links, really. I've gotten like a jk to link with a c.lk, but then that c.lk doesn't link into another hit or special, so seems useless. With Laura I was doing fully-charged electric shot into V-attack into f.hp-f.hp-H.dfp for 394 damage, but that's about the only thing I can figure out.

Some stuff just makes no sense to me, though. Like why does Laura have MP-Mk dial-in combo that can't lead to anything?

Last edited:

GAV

The basic combos in SFV are pretty simple. The game is designed for you to exchange until you build meter and get your V-trigger.

Basic combos are vanilla. Combos with meter are flashy. Combos with V-trigger are downright flamboyant.

GAV

I've figured out some combos, just no links, really. I've gotten like a jk to link with a c.lk, but then that c.lk doesn't link into another hit or special, so seems useless. With Laura I was doing fully-charged electric shot into V-attack into f.hp-f.hp-H.dfp for 394 damage, but that's about the only thing I can figure out.

Some stuff just makes no sense to me, though. Like why does Laura have MP-Mk dial-in combo that can't lead to anything?
They err on the side of caution on SF more often than not.

Your best bet is to watch good players. Maximillian Dood is decent. If you can recognize the attacks as button presses and pick up on the timing, you can pick up the tech pretty easily.

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
Anyone know what the point of Laura's V-Skill is? It seems to be negative on hit...

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
How the hell do you tech throws? Twice now I have done cross-over kick, low-kick and then tried to throw, but gotten thrown instead...

RoboCop

Former Owner
Premium Supporter
I mostly use linear movement for Lauras v skill, rush in and command grab. The window for teching is extremely small, like you have to be simultaneous with your opponents throw
That's why I'm confused. I keep getting thrown while trying to throw. And it always happens while I'm at advantage, but not enough for them to be in hit-stun.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
What do you mean a "real' fighting game. Thats an opinion if you don't think MKX is a real fighting game, but unfortunately for you it is. So deal with it.
Just a heads up...Rickyraws posts are usually jokes and trolls. Don't worry lol.

Drunken Llama

Some Random
Anyone know what the point of Laura's V-Skill is? It seems to be negative on hit...
I think it depends on if they're standing. Seems like you get more hitstun if they crouch.

I've been using her cr.LP cr. LP xx qcf.LP and it has worked pretty well for pressure. People tend to crouch block it so it opens up the v-skill for a mixup. I've won four in a row doing almost nothing but this, which beat my previous best of one in a row. Probably doesn't work on Gief though.

Status
Not open for further replies.