What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Scorpion General Discussion

Which variation do you use the most?

• Total voters

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
In addition to the Yolo factor it is also the fact that lag makes his minions much harder to react to which is also a buff for inferno online. Imo there is no reason to use inferno offline against real competition at all. You will rarely catch anyone with a low minion offline and you sure as he'll are not going to zone anyone out by any means and IMO hellfire does the damage/mixup game much better in addition to having better pressure. And Ninjitsu clearly does footsies and neutral much much better so I really don't see a use for using inferno offline in a tournament setting. I do think that the minions are cool looking though!
I've seen top top players getting caught by the MG 2 or 3 times in 1 round, its not easy to avoid with or without lag, as long as you use it wisely.

Anyway, been an inferno user since day 1 but recently I've dropped him due to having crap damage & being so YOLO its unreal, why would you pick some1 that does mediocre damage compared to some of the damage that some characters can do?

If he got a damage buff I'll be back tho.

Matix218

Get over here!
I've seen top top players getting caught by the MG 2 or 3 times in 1 round, its not easy to avoid with or without lag, as long as you use it wisely.

Anyway, been an inferno user since day 1 but recently I've dropped him due to having crap damage & being so YOLO its unreal, why would you pick some1 that does mediocre damage compared to some of the damage that some characters can do?

If he got a damage buff I'll be back tho.
Yeah I definitely exaggerated saying you won't ever catch anyone but against people who are used top fighting inferno it will be very rare.

I like inferno from the stanpoint that I think he is super cool. I think the minions look awesome and I love him using that skull to summon them. I def like inferno I just think it is absolutely his worst variation currently

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
How do you start your offense? Ive been trying to figure out scorpions neutral game. Usually I try to walk back and forth in d4 range and try to whiff punish.

So what is the best way to actually get started should I play more defensive at first until I get started or is there a way to get in easier? I've been playing hellfire since I'm loving the rc but his range is weak.

Also what the most efficient follow up to a landed d4?

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
I just need a nudge in the right direction so I have something to work from and make my own game plan from there

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
I favor Ninjutsu overall and when playing with friends that want to have really good technical matches. I use Hellfire for fun to change up from Ninjutsu when I want to variate. I use Inferno when playing random people online who use brain-dead projectile-abusing characters like Kitana, Kung Lao, Jacqui, Kano, Liu Kang and Erron Black oh and Quan Chi. So if a player chooses any of those characters I automatically suspecting them of being keep-away projectile abusing scrubs, which will make me pick Inferno or Mileena to shut them down.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
In this game I don't think zoning can be brain dead since everyone can run if you Dont space yourself properly or time a projectile right the opponent is in your face. Ppl just Dont like to be patient it kills them inside

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
In this game I don't think zoning can be brain dead since everyone can run if you Dont space yourself properly or time a projectile right the opponent is in your face. Ppl just Dont like to be patient it kills them inside
Seems like you've never played against a projectile spamming Jacqui player online. lol Memorie of early Deathstroke from Injustice.

Matix218

Get over here!
Seems like you've never played against a projectile spamming Jacqui player online. lol Memorie of early Deathstroke from Injustice.
Early deathstroke had quick recovering low guns that couldn't be ducked. You just have to neutral duck jacqui's gunshots and work your way in similar to kitana's fans

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
The jaqui players your talking about will freeze up once they realize you know how to get around their type of zoning and your right in their face

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
How does everyone handle pressure with scorpion? I know a lot of my problems come from me being new to character and not feeling as comfortable while being pressured but I get kinda stuck not knowing what to do.

I'm definitely spoiled by kano having armor kano ball into full combo and even exupball when I just need a quick get off me move

Foam-1

Noob
D4, D1 when you can to get some space, EX Takedown works on occasion, EX teleport if you're lucky or catch them jumping in. Biggest thing that helped me is learning common characters block strings and waiting for "my turn" and just make sure the damage counts and try to end up mid screen.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
D4, D1 when you can to get some space, EX Takedown works on occasion, EX teleport if you're lucky or catch them jumping in. Biggest thing that helped me is learning common characters block strings and waiting for "my turn" and just make sure the damage counts and try to end up mid screen.
Thank for the reply. Scorpion doesn't seem to be that scary in the corner like most characters in game so is it better to get everything back to midscreen?

Also since ex teleport has armor on wake up is it a viable strategy to use the ex teleport away on wake up since most ppl expect the regular ex teleport so you use it to actually jump to other side of map

Foam-1

Noob
Yeah, as a last resort you can just tele away. If you want to apply pressure, you can play as Hellfire, get those fireball cancel block strings down. I prefer to fight mid screen, seems to work out the best for me.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Hellfire is the variation I've been playing the most learning the fbc have made the game so much more fun for me. B3 fbc has been tough but I'm starting to get it down.

My biggest problems have been the neutral and being pressured but a lot of that is coming from not being familiar with character yet and I try not to just say f it and go back to kano when I start getting my ass beat.

Foam-1

Noob
Once you get a good feel for the cancels, he becomes a lot more fun and it's a lot easier to open people up, they can't block forever, and if they block your full strings, mix in a throw, flame aura, takedown, try a NJP, throw a B12F2, the options are endless.

As for dealing with the pressure mid screen, I find myself back dashing quite a bit, just to get space. Then footsies with D4 and D1, Flame Aura if you're feeling ballsy and look for the whiff punish.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Some quick questions.

What is the best follow up after a connected d4 I'm having trouble finding a good range for hellfire since he has some short range.

Is f3 good for closing the distance I'm not at home to see the hit advantage on f3.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Also I read on here that you can teleport out of some characters pressure. Who's pressure can you teleport out?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'm trying to pick up Ninjutsu as a co-main (not to compliment Displacer, I just like Ninjutsu) and was womdering if the Scorpion gurus are willing to help me out a bit.

- What's a good time to use F2? The time between slices seems to be a bit too much to use it for blowing up armor and at -11 it's pretty risky.

- Should I only use B2 on a hard read or on reaction? I try playing footsies with Ninjutsu but most of the time I get punished for a full combo, which is a pain in the ass to say the least.

- Are there any unorthodox options in Scorpion's vortex? F4 is much too slow most of the time and forces me to use a bar for EX spear or get full combo punished as per usual. I can deal with fuzzy guarding well enough, I just delay B3 a bit and I get my things going.

- Are there any very swaggy Ninjutsu combos? One of the few I know is EX-teleport, ji1, B2, ji3, teleport, etc. Scorpion's 114 teleport 21 spear 21 teleport gets dull after a while.

- Is d1 my best option to get out of pressure?

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Also I read on here that you can teleport out of some characters pressure. Who's pressure can you teleport out?
Tanya and dualist Liu Kang, certain Lao strings and teleport also works very well against staggers. While it doesn't have armour Scorpions hurtbox leaves his standing position extremely quickly which causes their attack to whiff so somethings can even be countered by tele cancel into a S1 string.

I have been working on putting together a video for this but still havent tested everything I want to before putting it out. There is risk involved just like there is with armour but the reward is substantial in situations where you don't the bar.

Some quick questions.

What is the best follow up after a connected d4 I'm having trouble finding a good range for hellfire since he has some short range.

Is f3 good for closing the distance I'm not at home to see the hit advantage on f3.
Depends on the range of the D4 as at max distance nothing is guranteed unless you FBC it. B1 is good for catching back dashes and B2 is OK for catching jumps as is J3. It's a good idea to take note of what people do when you hit them as someone very familiar with Scorpion will know that D4 on hit is not as dangerous as it is from other characters.

D4 into flame aura is a good option at anything other than point blank too just to keep them in check.

I'm trying to pick up Ninjutsu as a co-main (not to compliment Displacer, I just like Ninjutsu) and was womdering if the Scorpion gurus are willing to help me out a bit.

- What's a good time to use F2? The time between slices seems to be a bit too much to use it for blowing up armor and at -11 it's pretty risky.

- Should I only use B2 on a hard read or on reaction? I try playing footsies with Ninjutsu but most of the time I get punished for a full combo, which is a pain in the ass to say the least.

- Are there any unorthodox options in Scorpion's vortex? F4 is much too slow most of the time and forces me to use a bar for EX spear or get full combo punished as per usual. I can deal with fuzzy guarding well enough, I just delay B3 a bit and I get my things going.

- Are there any very swaggy Ninjutsu combos? One of the few I know is EX-teleport, ji1, B2, ji3, teleport, etc. Scorpion's 114 teleport 21 spear 21 teleport gets dull after a while.

- Is d1 my best option to get out of pressure?
The threat of F2 is sometimes more useful than the move itself, people have to respect it footsie range and it's a great follow up after you hit a D4; one the huge benefits on Ninjutsu in my opinion. It is great for stuffing armour but you need to practice the timing, you won't be able to just run up and do it against certain fast wake ups.

Hard reads using B2 are dangerous but again the range the move occupies forces a certain behaivour from your opponent. It is fantastic as a long range anti air and whiff punisher though.

Keep in mind both F2 and B2 are death when whiffed but their range commands respect so use this to your advantage. @YOMI RM JagoBlake Ninjutsu is a pleasure to watch as he really understands this and no doubt could offer more insight than me as I play primarily Hellfire.

After a jump 1 F4 is not a natural combo and if you delay for a split second niether is B3 so there is some slight dirt there but it seldom catches people who know about it. It doesn't hurt to stop it early after a 21 or B1 just to keep your opponent on their toes. Downside to this of course is you're leaving damage on the table but I've had it help me out a few times.

I'm a huge fan of cancelling F2 on the first hit as I think it looks super cool but other than that not really. 123 as a starter scales less than 114 by the way so that is a better option in situations where the 3 in the string doesn't whiff.

Pretty much yeah, his D4 is also good as it's still very quick and crushes even some mids.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky

The threat of F2 is sometimes more useful than the move itself, people have to respect it footsie range and it's a great follow up after you hit a D4; one the huge benefits on Ninjutsu in my opinion. It is great for stuffing armour but you need to practice the timing, you won't be able to just run up and do it against certain fast wake ups.

Hard reads using B2 are dangerous but again the range the move occupies forces a certain behaivour from your opponent. It is fantastic as a long range anti air and whiff punisher though.

Keep in mind both F2 and B2 are death when whiffed but their range commands respect so use this to your advantage. @YOMI RM JagoBlake Ninjutsu is a pleasure to watch as he really understands this and no doubt could offer more insight than me as I play primarily Hellfire.

After a jump 1 F4 is not a natural combo and if you delay for a split second niether is B3 so there is some slight dirt there but it seldom catches people who know about it. It doesn't hurt to stop it early after a 21 or B1 just to keep your opponent on their toes. Downside to this of course is you're leaving damage on the table but I've had it help me out a few times.

I'm a huge fan of cancelling F2 on the first hit as I think it looks super cool but other than that not really. 123 as a starter scales less than 114 by the way so that is a better option in situations where the 3 in the string doesn't whiff.

Pretty much yeah, his D4 is also good as it's still very quick and crushes even some mids.
Was talking about F4 and B3 in the sense of your typical 21, spear, jip, 21 teleport ender. This gives you 19 hit advantage so I was wondering whether you could pull something with all the advantage you have.

Also, thanks for the answers! I'll probably lab Scorpion for a bit and see of I can learn something.

Oh, and what is Scorpion's neutral like? As with Raiden, they both have a bit unusual neutral games in the sense that they don't have too many + frames to work with and don't really have a big pressure game.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
What are the frames on d4 fbc? I looked in the fbc cancel frames thread and couldn't find it in there?

Also @JTB123 we should get some games in soon so you could show me those strings you can teleport out of I'd really like to work on that

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
What are the frames on d4 fbc? I looked in the fbc cancel frames thread and couldn't find it in there?

Also @JTB123 we should get some games in soon so you could show me those strings you can teleport out of I'd really like to work on that
Sure man, would make going through the cast easier too actually. D4 FBC on hit is around the +20 mark if I remember correctly. What's your PSN?