What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I started to pick this up early I'm the game and just never liked the fact that I had to give up long range attacks without getting faster frames on normals. I've seen this variation do damage with blowing up wakeups but that's about it. Most of the time you see people try ronin, lose a game, then go right back to S. Ryu

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
I got the b21 link but can't get b3 to land at all. Also far blade call doesn't seem to work in combos as easily as close because of the option select system. If you just hold fwd, it cancels the special move.

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
There's so much tech now to cover up the gaps in the stings takeda has. Is this variation still viable in your guys opinion when you can get 50% damage or more in S.Ryu? It's hype as hell but I honestly feel that's the only reason people are using this
Ronin is viable for multiple match ups and not to mention it is extremely fun to play with due to his versatile rush down. For example versus Quan Chi you're better off using Ronin rush him down due to his poor defensive options, in some cases you can even bully him indefinitely with pressure of B212+4 > DB1 and then F122+4 > DF1 to then go back into B212+4, he can back dash or armor which are both easily baitable while leading to a full punish.

Definitely consider learning it, you won't regret it.

@Qiwi Beatiful combos, time for me to up my execution.

Qiwi

Combo fiend (!)
I got the b21 link but can't get b3 to land at all. Also far blade call doesn't seem to work in combos as easily as close because of the option select system. If you just hold fwd, it cancels the special move.
Yes but we'll get used to it. And with b3 you get the weird in place popup? Then you have to wait a bit longer, another timing thing to get used to.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Ronin is viable for multiple match ups and not to mention it is extremely fun to play with due to his versatile rush down. For example versus Quan Chi you're better off using Ronin rush him down due to his poor defensive options, in some cases you can even bully him indefinitely with pressure of B212+4 > DB1 and then F122+4 > DF1 to then go back into B212+4, he can back dash or armor which are both easily baitable while leading to a full punish.

Definitely consider learning it, you won't regret it.

@Qiwi Beatiful combos, time for me to up my execution.
I'm sure it's fun and all but again I don't see any true gain in using this variation. I happen to play against a very well known quan player and trust me, quan is one of the few characters, if not the only character that can't do a damn thing against kunai mixups. I can't picture myself changing to ronin where I have to actually approach quan lol. Not a good idea. I did play ronin early, didn't see value in it at all

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
I'm sure it's fun and all but again I don't see any true gain in using this variation. I happen to play against a very well known quan player and trust me, quan is one of the few characters, if not the only character that can't do a damn thing against kunai mixups. I can't picture myself changing to ronin where I have to actually approach quan lol. Not a good idea. I did play ronin early, didn't see value in it at all
It's a matter of preference really, however some players will probably have a harder time getting pushed to the corner then being overwhelmed full screen and having the option to go Ronin sure helps if you don't mind doing a little approaching.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Are you guys sure those meterless combos are actual BnBs? I can't even land them 5 times in a row.

Btw the new hotfix makes this combo now possible:
b212+4 far blade drop summon d1 shirai ryu kan 25%
This is my go to meterless BnB off his overhead.
This seems like a solid meterless bnb...

Does anyone have practical 1 bar combos? Or match footage of a good ronin? Trying to pick this dude up quick

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
So...completely random but I managed to get 30% meterless just a bit ago:

Sorry for the zoom in btw

aieches

#freeHomelee2016

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_69W7A7Q8gHe_DqNY2CQ2-uqymzu_NqQNqVyi8cAt3o/edit?usp=sharing
Ronin Frame Data Doc

please if someone could go over this and kinda make sure everything is legit that would be awesome. was doing this for the Frame data app thread.
Also is someone would like to help me with all the hard knock downs id like to add that also... i mostly use SR but started with this one first so i may have missed or made a few mistakes. Thanks
Sweet. Thanks for this.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
i woud also like to add
Hard knock downs,
bnbs with damage %s from beginners to advanced. seeing how i dont use Ronin at all really, if you guys would like negate what would be beginner and what wold be advances for ronin and pm or @ me the commands i could put these in as well

SnowboardRX

1) Found some new setups/pressure. Opponent can escape only with armor.

2) If opponent do armor attack, you can do smth like that (uploaded that video before, but still):

3) Wall 40%+ combos (mostly with 1 ex-bar):
Nicely done!

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
I quickly threw together a video demonstrating how inconsistent Ronin's primary tool can be.
I love Ronin, but some of this stuff is real janky. I'm not saying, "Ronin's Blade Kall doesn't work right. Must fix ASAP." I'd just be nice to have a more reliable toolset.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Is there info anywhere for what blade drop, blade call and quick call are like on block when cancelled from strings? Is it more + from certain strings etc? Will do my own tests tonight so should be able to post up my findings, but a starting point would be cool. Seems like theres some frame traps and setups from some of the videos posted but exactly how big the gaps are is what i want to test.

@Percimon - your videos a couple of pages back, the blade drops into d1/throw frametrap, did you work out how much advantage you get or were you just using d1 and throw as they are fast followups to beat button press?

Last edited:

SnowboardRX

After this last update, I feel like reflect was altered a little bit again without note. Does it "feel" different to anyone else?

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
Why doesn't this version have like a telepathic push or something. Hes supposed to have strong psychic powers yet the only thing he can lift is a Damn flashlight.. Lol