What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

hayatei

Noob
Anyone else on PC straight up not able to get the meterless combos with sword call after the patch today? It seems to consistently pop them up at the angle it used to if you were in the wrong stance.
they've been changed for a while on consoles, you can still do them but theyre a bit harder/different (you gotta put a delay on the blade call after close drop)

it's fine though because ronin has better meter combos w/ that change anyway

ryublaze

Noob
Are you guys sure those meterless combos are actual BnBs? I can't even land them 5 times in a row.

Btw the new hotfix makes this combo now possible:
b212+4 far blade drop summon d1 shirai ryu kan 25%
This is my go to meterless BnB off his overhead.

hayatei

Noob
Are you guys sure those meterless combos are actual BnBs? I can't even land them 5 times in a row.

the close blade call meterless combos aren't reliable at all tbh

hayatei

Noob
That's what I thought. Idk why NRS bothered to fix stance specific issues on combos that were never really BnBs...
Yeah they kinda made his meterless damage weaker because before the second hotfix where they fixed it, they were quite significantly easier, but I guess it doesn't matter if you can do 25% meterless consistently now from overhead (I wish I could go try it out, but PC doesnt have the hotfix T_T)

but I feel like it's fine because the current blade drop distance makes some of the uppercut combos a lot easier, especially from b3

If they need to change anything with blade drop/blade call right now it's the 2nd hit hitbox... It misses almost 80% of the time unless you're playing against Ferra/Torr or some huge characters. it especially sucks when you predict an armor after a blade drop and it only hits once -.-

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Yeah they kinda made his meterless damage weaker because before the second hotfix where they fixed it, they were quite significantly easier, but I guess it doesn't matter if you can do 25% meterless consistently now from overhead (I wish I could go try it out, but PC doesnt have the hotfix T_T)

but I feel like it's fine because the current blade drop distance makes some of the uppercut combos a lot easier, especially from b3

If they need to change anything with blade drop/blade call right now it's the 2nd hit hitbox... It misses almost 80% of the time unless you're playing against Ferra/Torr or some huge characters. it especially sucks when you predict an armor after a blade drop and it only hits once -.-
This is why I don't know why you guys bother saying blade kall is plus on block. Are you talking about if both hits hit or just the one? I only ever get one hit out of the two so I don't intend to trust block pressure to probability.. Ronin is getting good meter damage now and the mixups and counter zoning is good but he's a-fucking-nnoyingly inconsistent.. :(

hayatei

Noob
This is why I don't know why you guys bother saying blade kall is plus on block. Are you talking about if both hits hit or just the one? I only ever get one hit out of the two so I don't intend to trust block pressure to probability.. Ronin is getting good meter damage now and the mixups and counter zoning is good but he's a-fucking-nnoyingly inconsistent.. :(
it's supposed to be -5 and it's a frame trap after b212+4 but since most of the time, it (i believe) unintentionally hits once it's really unsafe to do that :(

ryublaze

Noob

I don't think its that big of a deal cuz from my understanding that only happens on block and whether its blocked once or twice its still punishable.

For beating armor moves, I like to do b212+4 on block then blade drop ex summon which will launch them before their armor even comes out but if they have an armor move that ends with a down input (kung jin bd3) they can option select to block low or armor.

Using blade summon to stuff armor seems kinda meh unless its after a fist flurry knockdown cuz a lot of times u dont get much of a combo off it so the risk/reward sucks. It's probably better to do f122+4 blade drop then block their armor and punish or jump and whiff punish.

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
Both, Lasher isn't exactly hard to grasp if you already had so e play time with Shirai Ryu and Ronin can be pretty damn helpful in some matchups where the opposition might be overwhelmed by pressure due to their poor defensive options (Quan Chi).

Qiwi

Combo fiend (!)

I tried to show in which situations the close blade kall ones work. I always end in hard knockdown and that's when they can be used.
Also NICE! Didn't know that popped up, and since I can't do d1 shirai ryu kan yet (PC), a grab works and it's 26% ^^ Btw, instead of an uppercut in meterless combos, can you now do d1 shirai ryu kan instead?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Have you guys had an issue where b112, 21, blade drop, ex call only hits once and drops? It happens to me randomly and I'm not sure if it's a stance thing or only female characters since it happened when my friend played his Mileana.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
D1 just arrived on PC <3 I don't know how you guys aren't EXCITED about these changed. Ronin all day baby!!

That's awesome man. I sub takeda and Tanya I'm just happy to be able to poke out of pressure now with D1 lol. But hey when you do those combos you throw the blade behind the enemy to be able to juggle like that? So if they are close you do normal blade drop and if they are in the middle you do far blade drop?

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
There's so much tech now to cover up the gaps in the stings takeda has. Is this variation still viable in your guys opinion when you can get 50% damage or more in S.Ryu? It's hype as hell but I honestly feel that's the only reason people are using this

Qiwi

Combo fiend (!)
That's awesome man. I sub takeda and Tanya I'm just happy to be able to poke out of pressure now with D1 lol. But hey when you do those combos you throw the blade behind the enemy to be able to juggle like that? So if they are close you do normal blade drop and if they are in the middle you do far blade drop?
Yeah Tanya is cool too, working on a combo video for her atm. And yes in the combos there, it's like you said yes.

jordan ewell

BlakBoywonder
There's so much tech now to cover up the gaps in the stings takeda has. Is this variation still viable in your guys opinion when you can get 50% damage or more in S.Ryu? It's hype as hell but I honestly feel that's the only reason people are using this
I feel like it's still viable. Just because one variation may be better doesn't mean the others are useless. I feel this version of takeda has better defensive options and his role as an anti zoner is different. ( instead of teleports he gains a reflect that is actually useful). Also as far as string pressure he can what Shirai Ryu can but for less cost. What I mean is instead of using teleport cancels to bait reversals he can use quick call or even blade drop to frame trap people and or bait people. Also his meter gain is decent and now he has better meter less damage than before. I think it's up to preference really.