What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

AssassiN

Noob
Yeah, the reflect is SOOO much better now. You can actually use it on reaction now instead of practically having to use it preemptively before. The active frames for the reflect is so long too that you can still reflect even if you get hasty and input early. Also lasts long enough to reflect double projectiles from enhanced moves. One of the best changes!
Is it? That would be so good.
Because I didn't bother learning how to reflect because you had to do it so precise and input it before the projectile came out...

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Is it? That would be so good.
Because I didn't bother learning how to reflect because you had to do it so precise and input it before the projectile came out...
Yup they definitely fixed it. It's very useful now. No more having to guess if a projectile is coming out.

Naug

Noob
I found an air-to-air combo that does 31% for 1 bar. 33% if it pushes the opponent in to the corner. Maybe more damage can be squeezed out of it, idk.

(Midscreen)
jkick x EXBF4, run, 44 x DF1, 31%

(lands in corner after bf4)
jkick x EXBF4, jnp, 44 x DF1, 33%

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Yeah, the reflect is SOOO much better now. You can actually use it on reaction now instead of practically having to use it preemptively before. The active frames for the reflect is so long too that you can still reflect even if you get hasty and input early. Also lasts long enough to reflect double projectiles from enhanced moves. One of the best changes!
This makes the sub zero match up REEEALY really fun. lol! A guy tried to use ice ball after clone and I reflected it to break the clone. Our projectile burns through a projectile when exed too so that's solves any further ice balls he'd think of spamming. Zoning is just plain fun with Ronin. Fell in love with this variation last night. @Zyphox have you been attempting to use this variation? I was destroying a reptile last night. lol!

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I found an air-to-air combo that does 31% for 1 bar. 33% if it pushes the opponent in to the corner. Maybe more damage can be squeezed out of it, idk.

(Midscreen)
jkick x EXBF4, run, 44 x DF1, 31%

(lands in corner after bf4)
jkick x EXBF4, jnp, 44 x DF1, 33%
Yeah this was one of the first things I made sure to learn when I made started using Ronin. Without air spear I had to find another way to get damage from air to airs. It just clicks. Hit confirms nicely.

Pistol

Noob
Pure accident, I got what looks like his projectile in the air the other day. That's not a thing, right?

My guess is I kara canceled the ex air tornado, into ex laser. Maybe, I'll upload the vid.

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
So just picked up Ronin and I gotta say he... Doesn't feel terrible! Seems like you trade Shirai Ryu's kunai for the sword drop, and in exchange for the low mixup options you get + frames on a lot of strings. You also trade the range of a few whip attacks for the speed of the sword ones like b21 2+4. This variation plays unexpectedly similar to Shirai Ryu and still keeps the strongest tools like njp and f1 2+4. The laser is the only part that feels a little useless, but ex could me important in some MU's.

His meter build seems alright since ending strings in blade drop and blade call counts as two specials and he has some solid block strings and pressure. I've also noticed they've buffed his combo damage in the latest patch- I'm on pc, but in the videos posted here the same combos are doing a few % more. I've also heard that they made his blade drop combo more consistent so for the b21 blade drop/call into f12 2+4 the stance doesn't matter. Any truth to that?

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
So just picked up Ronin and I gotta say he... Doesn't feel terrible! Seems like you trade Shirai Ryu's kunai for the sword drop, and in exchange for the low mixup options you get + frames on a lot of strings. You also trade the range of a few whip attacks for the speed of the sword ones like b21 2+4. This variation plays unexpectedly similar to Shirai Ryu and still keeps the strongest tools like njp and f1 2+4. The laser is the only part that feels a little useless, but ex could me important in some MU's.

His meter build seems alright since ending strings in blade drop and blade call counts as two specials and he has some solid block strings and pressure. I've also noticed they've buffed his combo damage in the latest patch- I'm on pc, but in the videos posted here the same combos are doing a few % more. I've also heard that they made his blade drop combo more consistent so for the b21 blade drop/call into f12 2+4 the stance doesn't matter. Any truth to that?
You're headed in the right direction. Destination: Pokes still to slowville. lol!

P3irce

Noob
Hey guys new player to ronin takeda and had some q's. I'm only about 100 games deep so I'm still in the beginning of learning. Firstly what are his best options for pokes ? I normally play kotal Kahn and it's killing me with how slow takedas pokes are in comparison. Also I seem to shy away from doing jump in punches does takeda have a a weakness there or is that just me ? Thanks in advance for anyone who replies

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
F3 makes for a great advancing poke however the rewards on hit are minimal but makes up for it with great active frames and being safe on block. In Ronin you can also use F122+4 for poking and cancel into blade drop to remain safe.

As for the jumping department I really can't help their as I have not looked into it.

P3irce

Noob
F3 makes for a great advancing poke however the rewards on hit are minimal but makes up for it with great active frames and being safe on block. In Ronin you can also use F122+4 for poking and cancel into blade drop to remain safe.

As for the jumping department I really can't help their as I have not looked into it.
Ive been essentially doing those two things, its just very different style from what im use to i suppose

Wrath0594

Hey guys new player to ronin takeda and had some q's. I'm only about 100 games deep so I'm still in the beginning of learning. Firstly what are his best options for pokes ? I normally play kotal Kahn and it's killing me with how slow takedas pokes are in comparison. Also I seem to shy away from doing jump in punches does takeda have a a weakness there or is that just me ? Thanks in advance for anyone who replies
B2 1 2+4, f1 2+4, f33, d3, njp, 33.

All of those can be cancelled into blade drops or quick call to be safe or + and njp can be delayed for that if they start punishing it. If you need them out of your face, your options are limited to njp between strings, uppercut, and d3. Once they're in footsie range choose between b2 strings and f1 strings and keep them away.

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
With the new buff to D1, pressure with Blade Call cancels will be a lot more effective because the opponent now runs the risk of setting themselves up for a mix up if they get hit by our D1. This is freaking gooooood.

Also F122+4 > Blade Drop is +1 on block after further testing and B212+4 > Blade Drop is at least +3 so you get a free D1 check with it.

Last edited:

Wrath0594

Anyone else on PC straight up not able to get the meterless combos with sword call after the patch today? It seems to consistently pop them up at the angle it used to if you were in the wrong stance.