What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

Wigy

There it is...
I didn't feel like going through 17 pages of discussion, sorry if its been mentioned.

Whats your preferably setups/enders midscreen and in the corner.

Midscreen i end with bf4 when i can, drop the blade on top and then do f1 2+3. It spaces them so they can't reach with normals (most characters anyways) and most people sit and block cause the sword is there then you have a ghetto 50/50 from the second hit of 2+3 and cancelling the first into ex blade call.

In the corner: where i can land 21 high (for more adv) i do close blade toss, into pressure as you're at +frames.
when i've done a massive combo and gravity is heavy and 21 lands low so little adv, i try end combos with bf2 into blade toss (but they can wakeup here).

Usual pressure after close blade toss in the corner is f12 2+3 quick blade call 21 b21 3+4

Looking for more inspiration, also any help with JC Matchup, i struggle to get him off me once hes in aside from ex df1 which is punishable AF from f3 and doesn't lead to a whole lot.

hayatei

Noob
I didn't feel like going through 17 pages of discussion, sorry if its been mentioned.

Whats your preferably setups/enders midscreen and in the corner.

Midscreen i end with bf4 when i can, drop the blade on top and then do f1 2+3. It spaces them so they can't reach with normals (most characters anyways) and most people sit and block cause the sword is there then you have a ghetto 50/50 from the second hit of 2+3 and cancelling the first into ex blade call.

In the corner: where i can land 21 high (for more adv) i do close blade toss, into pressure as you're at +frames.
when i've done a massive combo and gravity is heavy and 21 lands low so little adv, i try end combos with bf2 into blade toss (but they can wakeup here).

Usual pressure after close blade toss in the corner is f12 2+3 quick blade call 21 b21 3+4

Looking for more inspiration, also any help with JC Matchup, i struggle to get him off me once hes in aside from ex df1 which is punishable AF from f3 and doesn't lead to a whole lot.
I like ending almost everything into bf2 midscreen

You get a lot of damage and a big part of the cast can't wake up against meaty d3

I don't end combos with the restand much midscreen, it isn't that advantageous after you close the distance. It relies on them respecting blade call, and I don't like playing that guessing game from that range but it's definitely good if you mindgame your opponent :p

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
On the off chance someone hasn't realized this, you can off of DP and EXDP at certain AA heights. I don't think I've seen this openly mentioned.
If am so fortunate to have this happen I usually just go for D2 online- it's easier on my heart if I missed the D2 versus whiffing after trying to continue after the d1.

i've also been thinking that if they change the d1 to help us get out of Lk pressure (since its blasphemous to even suggest a Lk nerf) i was wondering what would happen to instances like this or even doing things like f12+4 BDBC d1 >cont. seems like even one less frame could crack open the stuff thats super tight now.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
If am so fortunate to have this happen I usually just go for D2 online- it's easier on my heart if I missed the D2 versus whiffing after trying to continue after the d1.

i've also been thinking that if they change the d1 to help us get out of Lk pressure (since its blasphemous to even suggest a Lk nerf) i was wondering what would happen to instances like this or even doing things like f12+4 BDBC d1 >cont. seems like even one less frame could crack open the stuff thats super tight now.
D2 is sooooo good with Ronin. It gives plenty of time for a drop.

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
What's up guys. Just wanted to say I'm gonna be focusing on Ronin Takeda now as a main :)

For starters, here is my match vs Foxy at NEC Top 32. If you guys could let me know what I did wrong / what I could've done better, that would be much appreciated!

@hayatei
@Red Raptor
@StealthyMuffin
@SnowboardRX
@aieches

@Rest of the Takeda Players

man, you did better than what i could contest foxy with . . i think you did pretty damn good to be honest.you went stride for stride with Foxys Tempest.you put up a pretty good fight . this could have honestly went any way. one confirm instaed of a whiff or even one drop from foxy and any match could have had a different outcome.

thats my two cents. prob Hayatei or Raptor could point out something i personally dont see.

if i did have to say one thing it would be maybe try to bait out ex spin more. but then again this is foxy so its not something he usually falls for. so really, im back a square uno.. man i dunno. pretty solid matches.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
What's up guys. Just wanted to say I'm gonna be focusing on Ronin Takeda now as a main :)

For starters, here is my match vs Foxy at NEC Top 32. If you guys could let me know what I did wrong / what I could've done better, that would be much appreciated!

@hayatei
@Red Raptor
@StealthyMuffin
@SnowboardRX
@aieches

@Rest of the Takeda Players
Pretty much what the other guys have said so far. You played the matchup the way it needed to be played and it definitely could have gone either way. Your spacing, pressure and mix-ups were great and in the end it just came down to the person who had the least mistakes.

I know it's not much as far as critiquing goes but you seem to have a pretty solid Ronin in the making.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
I have been playing around with Takeda's cancels into Tornado Kick for a bit now with success... Not sure how many of you use it or even know its there, but I figure I'd show the tech either way...

The videos show SR and Lasher, but the cancel can be done in all variations including Ronin..

This is more inline with Mileena/Scorpion's jump kick cancels which can be annoying as hell... As you all know, these can be done on hit, on block, and even on whiff (or no contact)...

NHDR

Noob
Hey all, I'm interested in Ronin Takeda. Have some questions:

1. Is he a zoner?
2. Is his AA special viable?
3. Is he safe?

Based on what I've watched he seems to be more of a mix-up character? Thanks.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Hey all, I'm interested in Ronin Takeda. Have some questions:

1. Is he a zoner?
2. Is his AA special viable?
3. Is he safe?

Based on what I've watched he seems to be more of a mix-up character? Thanks.
I'm still working out my Takeda play so all my answers my not be on point.
1. He has zoning tools that are decent but they will not win you the game.
2. His anti air special is good but requires some better timing. I'm iffy here because anti airs are weird things for me to consistently hit.
3. If you space it right, Takeda's pressure is damn near flawless. With quick kall, d3, b11 string and I think the 21 string he has enough frames to pressure insanely well while being safe to plus. Especially once you get your opponent to respect your options.

ErmacMKX

Noob
Any advice on his b21,db1, recall, d1,2,1, exbf2 combo.
This one is all over the place for me, either the recall doesn't hit him towards me, or I miss the d1, or can't connect on the 2,1 after. Is it just a matter of practice, I feel like this would be hard to do online or maybe I just suck.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
This one is all over the place for me, either the recall doesn't hit him towards me, or I miss the d1, or can't connect on the 2,1 after. Is it just a matter of practice, I feel like this would be hard to do online or maybe I just suck.
It's definitely one of the harder bnbs. Keep playing and you'll get it. Just make sure you're landing b2 at the correct distance.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
What stealthy said. The b2 distance for kall to bring them forward is pretty close. And since b2 has such a long range it be a tricky to guess if you're close enough or not.