What's new

General/Other - Ronin Ronin General Discussion Thread

Maevar

Shirai-Ronin
Any advice on his b21,db1, recall, d1,2,1, exbf2 combo.
This one is all over the place for me, either the recall doesn't hit him towards me, or I miss the d1, or can't connect on the 2,1 after. Is it just a matter of practice, I feel like this would be hard to do online or maybe I just suck.
Don't mash the D1 - find the right spot and make sure you're hitting it only once.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
For the life of me I cannot seem to figure out when it is safe to press buttons against this character amidst the various blade drops, blade calls, etc. Where are the gaps that I should be looking for?

Thanks!

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Blade drop is usually your chance. Just cross over on blade drop. Quick blade call is almost always plus.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
got it. They often do that overhead-low string right after the drop. I'll test it out, but I wonder if that overhead would hit me when attempting to cross over
B21 2+4 close blade drop is about +2 that's oh, low.
F12 2+4 (both hits) quick blade call is about +7.
F12 2+4 (both hits) close blade drop is about +1/2

Every other variation of those string and blade drop is minus.

I don't know about the 21 string though. Does anyone else know?

After spending some time with Grolarbear last weekend, I'm gonna experiment with that string some more.

Bottom line, if your fastest poke is 8 frames, you're gonna have trouble against Ronin.

Last edited:

Maevar

Shirai-Ronin
B21 2+4 close blade drop is about +2 that's oh, low.
F12 2+4 (both hits) quick blade call is about +7.
F12 2+4 (both hits) close blade drop is about +1/2

Every other variation of those string and blade drop is minus.

I don't know about the 21 string though. Does anyone else know?

After spending some time with Grolarbear last weekend, I'm gonna experiment with that string some more.

Bottom line, if your fastest poke is 8 frames, you're gonna have trouble against Ronin.
Plain 21 should be +2 on block.
I'm not sure how much on + is b11~blade drop / quick kall, but it should be good, considering that b11 is 0 on block.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
That overhead to low string isn't possible to do with the blade on the ground. Think you may mean something else.
Ok, good to know. It all kind of blends together when you are in that Ronin blender. All I know is that I very often get hit with the overhead low string very shortly after he does some blade shenanigans (whether its call or drop).

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Ok, good to know. It all kind of blends together when you are in that Ronin blender. All I know is that I very often get hit with the overhead low string very shortly after he does some blade shenanigans (whether its call or drop).
Most likely right after a quick kall. That's when I throw it out during the "blender" lol.

Yo so I got the update this morning and wanted to see what was changed with my ronin takeda. I saw his b2 is 15 on start up and his b21's recovery is 28 frames. I played against some friends who both use erron black who now has a 7 frame d1. I noticed after my blade was on the ground and I went for my f21+24 into quick kall I was getting poked out of it and I was like what the hell. Now I don't know if that was possible before even with a 7 frame poke since takeda is I think +7 after quik kall then before his b2 was 12 frames people had to hold it. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I went to the lab to test it. I came up with this and I havent tested it against the whole kast just a couple characters with 7, 8, and 9 frame pokes. I noticed the characters with a 7 frame poke can poke out of this pressure for free if timed correctly. The characters that had 8 frame pokes could poke out of this pressure IF you canceled quik kall before the second hit of the whip from f21+24. If you do the second hit of the whip it pushes them back far enough the poke wont reach. I think before I could just cancel the quick kall almost immediately after my first hit of the whip and be pretty much safe if they didn't have a metered move....I think. The characters that had 9 frame pokes had to hold the pressure without having to have the second whip hit. So 9 frames and up you can cancel anytime and maintain pressure. With the characters that 7 frame pokes I found another option that is already known but should be used more often if what I have stated has changed since before the patch. If they know they can poke out with their 7 frame d1 or whatever instead of going for the b21 after the f21+24 I now go for b1, b11, or b112 which are safe and you can combo after the b11 hit confirm or the b1 hit confirm. Again if this was known or not known before today I apologize if Im just noticing this now.

RyuuJin882

Twitch.tv/ryuujin882
Yo so I got the update this morning and wanted to see what was changed with my ronin takeda. I saw his b2 is 15 on start up and his b21's recovery is 28 frames. I played against some friends who both use erron black who now has a 7 frame d1. I noticed after my blade was on the ground and I went for my f21+24 into quick kall I was getting poked out of it and I was like what the hell. Now I don't know if that was possible before even with a 7 frame poke since takeda is I think +7 after quik kall then before his b2 was 12 frames people had to hold it. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I went to the lab to test it. I came up with this and I havent tested it against the whole kast just a couple characters with 7, 8, and 9 frame pokes. I noticed the characters with a 7 frame poke can poke out of this pressure for free if timed correctly. The characters that had 8 frame pokes could poke out of this pressure IF you canceled quik kall before the second hit of the whip from f21+24. If you do the second hit of the whip it pushes them back far enough the poke wont reach. I think before I could just cancel the quick kall almost immediately after my first hit of the whip and be pretty much safe if they didn't have a metered move....I think. The characters that had 9 frame pokes had to hold the pressure without having to have the second whip hit. So 9 frames and up you can cancel anytime and maintain pressure. With the characters that 7 frame pokes I found another option that is already known but should be used more often if what I have stated has changed since before the patch. If they know they can poke out with their 7 frame d1 or whatever instead of going for the b21 after the f21+24 I now go for b1, b11, or b112 which are safe and you can combo after the b11 hit confirm or the b1 hit confirm. Again if this was known or not known before today I apologize if Im just noticing this now.
I thought you played reptile. And yes, 7 frames could always poke out. F12 2+4 quick call on first hit is not plus. On the 2nd hit quick call is about plus 6/7. Jut use that. Don't bother cancelling on the first hit unless your opponent the has bad pokes.

Now most characters have a 7 frame poke though.

I thought you played reptile. And yes, 7 frames could always poke out. F12 2+4 quick call on first hit is not plus. On the 2nd hit quick call is about plus 6/7. Jut use that. Don't bother cancelling on the first hit unless your opponent the has bad pokes.

Now most characters have a 7 frame poke though.
I was wokring on ronin takeda a bit before KIT, but hes my main now. He's super fun to play as. Glad he didnt get hit too much. And ok good info thanks man.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
Ok seriously I'm finally fed up with the Inferno Scorpion matchup. Every single person I play online that uses him pretty much gets a guaranteed win against me. It's constant jumping back and forth over my head and minion summons like crazy and I just can't seem to punish any of it. What's everyone else doing in this matchup?

Ok seriously I'm finally fed up with the Inferno Scorpion matchup. Every single person I play online that uses him pretty much gets a guaranteed win against me. It's constant jumping back and forth over my head and minion summons like crazy and I just can't seem to punish any of it. What's everyone else doing in this matchup?
If you predict a crossover just njp. Or use your armor "DP".
And always block low, every mixup that does damage is like 15 frames and up is very reactable. Take him into the lab and get used to his minions and blocking them

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Quick question about Ronnin pressure. If I do f122+4 blade drop. What can I do to check my opponent to gurantee the follow up f122+4 blade kall? I've done down 3/4 but people started jumping out. Can I do d1 to prevent that or will they still get a free jump? Should I read the jump for an njp? Any tips are appreciated.