What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile General Discussion

What do you think is the best variation to use?

• Total voters

WT_Neptune

Praying for Rain
Is there any benefit to ending his F412 bnb with empty Reptile Dash rather than slide? I typically will njp afterwards, or some other shenanigans.

zoofs

bless
Is there any benefit to ending his F412 bnb with empty Reptile Dash rather than slide? I typically will njp afterwards, or some other shenanigans.
not really but if you want to switch sides or instant 50/50 thats your best option as slide dash doesn't give you any option afaik

TamedLizard

Buff George
I like to throw the sfb out afterwards here and there.

When I first tried it, I was pleasantly surprised how many times it caught people. If they block, continue pressure.

Be wary though, if someone knows the MU extremely well, they'll armor through the fb.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Anything else noteworthy or are th rest negative? Is it true that f41 is neutral?

f41 is not neutral, it's -4ish. f4 is +7. 34, f3 and f2 are +5. 3, 12, 21 are all slightly positive. Don't quote me on any of that, it's hard to test, but I think it's right

zoofs

bless
Yeah, I think so. I dunno why people use it. I think just because it's hit confirmable and hard to react to so opponents let them get away with it and they keep doing it.
might as well stagger the actual string without meter, makes no sense

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
What do you all recommend as the go-to variation for learning Reptile? From what I've been reading picking through threads here, it seems like Noxious and Deceptive are considered the best variations of the three and at least from watching Milky and a couple others on streams, it *seems* like I see almost exclusively Deceptive..

The truth of the matter is, I'm leaning more towards Noxious.. I'm awful, I really am, that's not an empty statement meant to make me sound humble - its the pure truth.. So the idea of his invisibility, while it sounds kinda amazing, scares the hell out of me. I can barely play a character when I can see them.. If I can't? God.

However, I don't understand Reptile well.enough to know what I'm losing amd gaining by playing Noxious instead of Deceptive. So I was hoping someone could breakdown the difference in the variations for me. Also. Any advice on Noxious or Deceptive would be appreciated.. Like what should I be practicing in the lab, general gameplan, just any relevant info. In the meantime I'll be poking around the forums trying to flesh out some more info on my own. =)

Zaccel

Noob
Short answer is that Reptile's variation gameplans aren't so extreme that you'll fail to understand the character if you prefer one. Long answer (I'll do my best):

Noxious is the Fisticuffs of Reptile--the easiest to learn and use, and arguably the weakest. Unlike Fisticuffs, Noxious is actually good for something. The theme here is 'meterless'. Noxious lacks an insane corner game or plus frames or conversions, but takes less meter to be effectual. Though the DoT's effect is minute, the enhanced versions are respectable, and don't go away on block, giving them some staying power. It also improves chip damage and throws, and gives conservative tactics more mileage. Combos from 34 are very strong, all without meter. Ass at meter management (like me)? Just want to hold onto meter while getting something out of it (like me)? Noxious does fine. Having damage happening constantly can save your bacon and spoil comebacks, too. Also people can't Flawless you which is pretty hilarious

Nimble is the one I lack experience with, but suffice to say it takes Reptile's strong corner game and runs like hell with it. Though combo options into EX Basilisk are limited, the corner carry is unreal, and there's potential for armor-breaking oki afterward. If Basilisk is up in the corner, 50/50s lead into insane damage. The amount of special moves used in conversions make up for some of EX Basilisk's cost, so Nimble's real challenge isn't being starved for meter, but keeping fuel in the tank for when the opportunity arises. Nimble still uses more meter than Noxious (meterless Basilisk is buttcheeks), and lacks the flexibility of 'smelling bad'--if you're against good blocks, or get bodied and break constantly, it's like Basilisk doesn't even exist, which is bothersome. With Nimble, the corner is god--if you git gud, they'll pray for theirs.

The smart money is on Deceptive being the best variation. Not hard to see why--with EX Invis you can get plus frames on block, bait reversals, interrupt strings, wake up safely, easily hit-confirm, and reduce incoming damage. With all this, it's understandable that Deceptive has the most value for its meter, and more opportunities to use it--so you'll be spending it frequently. Invisibility goes away on block, though, so baiting things isn't as cost-effective. If you're bad at meter management, you'll have to deal with Reptile's hideous face with nothing to show for it. If you git gud, Deceptive covers all the bases. It has the strongest pressure with fuel in the tank--constant blockstrings into EX dd3 into invisible 50/50s, throws, and bait makes blocking Deceptive a real headache. Maybe has the best midscreen game?

Reptile's gameplan is similar across his variations, but a summary:

Noxious: Stay near. Set up dd3 for added chip damage. Chillin' and blocking can deal damage while sitting on a lead.

Nimble: Get in, open them up, EX Basilisk, take them to the corner. It begins.

Deceptive: Get in, stay in. Pressure with f412, 21, etc. into EX Invis, mixups ahoy. Bait things so you can EX Invis and punish.

Last edited:

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Thank you for the breakdown. It sounds like I was wrong and my preferred variation would be Deceptive. I don't like having to rely on the corner...I know in MKX with the absurd corner carry most characters seem to have that like, every fight ends up there eventually, but I still prefer to not build a game plan around it. I like to see it as a bonus, not a necessity.

But I'm looking for heavy pressure and alot of ability to stay in someone's face, and Deceptive seems to be that.

Well, when I get home I'm going to poke around some more and try to suss out some info on what strings I should be using, what combos I need to learn and what general tech is important for anewb to Reptile.. Then it's off to the lab to see if he clicks.

Reactions: rpg

Dr.Venkman

Does not have actual Ph.D
What normals are you guys using for crossover anti-airs? I've been wanting to work them into my game, but I can't figure out what's best to use.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
What normals are you guys using for crossover anti-airs? I've been wanting to work them into my game, but I can't figure out what's best to use.
Cross ups* b34 or d1 but it depends on the character youre doing it against. Just use armor.

Rasssta48

" I would test your skill"
B1 has good antiair and anticrossup potential due to 3 active frames and nice vertical hitbox, but 11 frame startup a bit slow for anticrossup and nearly imposible to do online, but like normal antiair it's the best through it's range, expesially after bait jumps over forceballs.
Armor is the best choiсe like Cossner said, considering that's not every character in this game has good armor to antiair like Reptile is.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Thank you for the breakdown. It sounds like I was wrong and my preferred variation would be Deceptive. I don't like having to rely on the corner...I know in MKX with the absurd corner carry most characters seem to have that like, every fight ends up there eventually, but I still prefer to not build a game plan around it. I like to see it as a bonus, not a necessity.

But I'm looking for heavy pressure and alot of ability to stay in someone's face, and Deceptive seems to be that.

Well, when I get home I'm going to poke around some more and try to suss out some info on what strings I should be using, what combos I need to learn and what general tech is important for anewb to Reptile.. Then it's off to the lab to see if he clicks.
For me its down to the opponent most of the time, if I'm playing some1 that I have less than 50% chance of beating, I go with Noxious cos I'll probably need all my meter for breakers & as some1 already mentioned, Noxious doesn't really need to much meter to be effective. Once I have tested the guy out & realise that he's just another online warrior, I bring out Deceptive & the fun begins.

For me there's not much difference in the 2 Variations at all, so when you have 1 down, the other doesn't take to much time to learn. I've yet to try Nimble.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
For me its down to the opponent most of the time, if I'm playing some1 that I have less than 50% chance of beating, I go with Noxious cos I'll probably need all my meter for breakers & as some1 already mentioned, Noxious doesn't really need to much meter to be effective. Once I have tested the guy out & realise that he's just another online warrior, I bring out Deceptive & the fun begins.

For me there's not much difference in the 2 Variations at all, so when you have 1 down, the other doesn't take to much time to learn. I've yet to try Nimble.
But deceptive is significantly better than Noxious.

???

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
But deceptive is significantly better than Noxious.

???
I'm not saying its not, I'm an ordinary player & when I play against better players I find I need my meter for breakers rather than anything else. There's been plenty of matches I've been using Deceptive & found myself not using Invisible once cos I've been to busy breaking. When I get comfortable playing some1 & have meter to spare I'll hit Deceptive.

zoofs

bless
B1 has good antiair and anticrossup potential due to 3 active frames and nice vertical hitbox, but 11 frame startup a bit slow for anticrossup and nearly imposible to do online, but like normal antiair it's the best through it's range, expesially after bait jumps over forceballs.
Armor is the best choiсe like Cossner said, considering that's not every character in this game has good armor to antiair like Reptile is.
was this post inspired by @InFlames

WT_Neptune

Praying for Rain
Are you referring to Ex Klaw? That thing refuses to hit above his head most of the time. -__-

TheKingsAutopsy

The Bow, The Bird
Is it just me or does SZ Cryo absolutely destroy Reptile?

I find myself free against that pricks 50\50 into 43% damage all the time.
As a cryo main I can safely tell you that yes Sub Zero destroys everything about Reptile in the most demeaning of ways (Grandmaster and Cryo, Unbreakable is an easier matchup for Reptile). You've got play really smart against Cryo because he's got more range in his mixups, good armor and lockdown capable in the corner. Your only real option is to cheese something out in the neutral and hope you don't get cornered.

Rasssta48

" I would test your skill"
Are you referring to Ex Klaw? That thing refuses to hit above his head most of the time. -__-
EX claw is cool, but everything has it limitations I believe, you need to time and space it right for success;)
Btw B1 hitbox hits exactly above his head.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
As a cryo main I can safely tell you that yes Sub Zero destroys everything about Reptile in the most demeaning of ways (Grandmaster and Cryo, Unbreakable is an easier matchup for Reptile). You've got play really smart against Cryo because he's got more range in his mixups, good armor and lockdown capable in the corner. Your only real option is to cheese something out in the neutral and hope you don't get cornered.
I do OK against Cryo now, i attack non stop & make him waste his meter on breakers, his 50\50 doesn't annoy me if its doing crap damage.