What's new

General/Other - Reptile Reptile General Discussion

What do you think is the best variation to use?

• Total voters

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Idk if this has been discussed before, but I just personally figured out that Liu Kang's fbf4 on hit causes noxious to tick on every hit, but not on block. Check it out.

Does this have to do with the fact that LK is closer to reptile on hit than on block maybe? That's strange

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
What do you guys use after your F412 is blocked to make you safe? I find that after I commit to it I become free to combo.

Cheers

huh

Noob
So there's absolutely nothing I can do that leaves me safe? I just have to sit back & let them combo me?

That's pretty fucking shit that.
If you press F412 and don't cancel into any special, you are pretty much safe. Just block afterwards

Since the string is long, it is hit confirmable. After F412, look the first hit. If it hits, then input the reptilian dash for a combo. If it is blocked, do not input anything and you are safe.

Zaccel

Noob
So there's absolutely nothing I can do that leaves me safe? I just have to sit back & let them combo me?

That's pretty fucking shit that.
f412 is generally safe already (though Cassie can combo you for it), but if you're using Deceptive you can cancel into EX dd3 for an added layer of security. Not sure on what the exact frames are, but f412xxEX dd3 is safe from Reptile's EX slide and Cassie's flip. You'll lose the invisibility for blocking anything, but it's there. From some normals, reversals hit its armour instead, which has different benefits.

Last edited:

HatecraftsWife

Day 1 grill
Does this have to do with the fact that LK is closer to reptile on hit than on block maybe? That's strange
I deleted my video. Turns out if was just a mechanic of noxious that I was unaware of. The opponent takes a 0.20% tick everytime they hit reptile, and if reptile blocks, it's just treated as you're standing beside him. Since Lui does so many hits with fbf4, it does that many noxious ticks.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
I remember people saying that reptile was trash tier for the longest. I recently started playing him and I really like what he can do but at the same time I noticed I've struggled with getting in with him as well as get out of pressure.

So what are Reptile's weaknesses, areas I should focus on to improve on.

I remember people saying that reptile was trash tier for the longest. I recently started playing him and I really like what he can do but at the same time I noticed I've struggled with getting in with him as well as get out of pressure.

A good way to get out of pressure is using his armor DB2(EX), if you hit it succesfully the combo is 28% damage.

Last edited:

Zaccel

Noob

My two cents:

Getting in with f21 is decent, and if you have meter it can be confirmed into 1+3 MB. It's solid, but be aware that it's -4 on block. I've had some success getting in on zoning with whiffed reversal bf2, but I can't say whether that works on every projectile. If you can land a db2, bf2, or a db4, you can bf2 to switch sides, build some meter and keep the pressure on.

When stuck in a pressure situation, EX db2 is relatively high risk/reward, but it'll call out gappy strings all day (Maybe if it's a reeeaaally slow string you could use EX Invis?). If you think their pressure is about to use a high, d3 is fast and safe--just don't go nuts with it (and be aware of situations like Sorceror Quan's dd2 traps). That said, sometimes you'll just have to suck it up and block.

Reptile's well-rounded, and lacks egregious flaws (like Jacqui's T-Rex arms, Quan's awful wakeup, Goro's everything)--but to play with his toys he needs meter. He also has trouble building it, lacking safe special moves on block (and his zoning isn't very rewarding). Be judicious spreading that butter.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
My two cents:

Getting in with f21 is decent, and if you have meter it can be confirmed into 1+3 MB. It's solid, but be aware that it's -4 on block. I've had some success getting in on zoning with whiffed reversal bf2, but I can't say whether that works on every projectile. If you can land a db2, bf2, or a db4, you can bf2 to switch sides, build some meter and keep the pressure on.

When stuck in a pressure situation, EX db2 is relatively high risk/reward, but it'll call out gappy strings all day (Maybe if it's a reeeaaally slow string you could use EX Invis?). If you think their pressure is about to use a high, d3 is fast and safe--just don't go nuts with it (and be aware of situations like Sorceror Quan's dd2 traps). That said, sometimes you'll just have to suck it up and block.

Reptile's well-rounded, and lacks egregious flaws (like Jacqui's T-Rex arms, Quan's awful wakeup, Goro's everything)--but to play with his toys he needs meter. He also has trouble building it, lacking safe special moves on block (and his zoning isn't very rewarding). Be judicious spreading that butter.
I do manage to get some good pressure out of doing exinvis and then going for f412 or b34. The invis scares em and lets me play my game.

Zaccel

Noob
Nimble is still the best variation easily imo, dunno why people are saying noxious >_>
Probably because it's the most effectual without meter. It also helps give an edge when you're already winning. No arguing Nimble's damage or corner game, though.

JDM

Noob
Probably because it's the most effectual without meter. It also helps give an edge when you're already winning. No arguing Nimble's damage or corner game, though.
Yeah, but noxious BARELY gives anything I feel like, slight chip here and there sure but even if it's an upclose battle the entire game it's not much unless you use meter or enhance it. Still isn't too much as if you get hit it goes away (I really feel like they should change that).

Nimble gives setups with or without meter (risky, but still there), and options to break nearly every wakeup in the game and get large combos off of them.

Noxious seems the worst to me by a decent amount :/

Yeah, but noxious BARELY gives anything I feel like, slight chip here and there sure but even if it's an upclose battle the entire game it's not much unless you use meter or enhance it. Still isn't too much as if you get hit it goes away (I really feel like they should change that).

Nimble gives setups with or without meter (risky, but still there), and options to break nearly every wakeup in the game and get large combos off of them.

It would be great to see your nimble reptile, if your are on PS4 send me friend request dude ATLAnTE_PR_89

Zaccel

Noob

Not entirely disagreeing there, but Reptile has a rocky relationship with meter. Noxious, while token, at least does something without having to spend on it. The damage from 34 is nice to have--and while dd3 vanishes on hit, it doesn't on block, which is unique. Combos ending in 14xxdd3 can be a way to sit on a lead while still dealing damage, just by waiting and blocking (though I admit the payoff is minute).

I'm not saying it's better than Nimble by any stretch, but I do think it's at least competitive with it. For all that Nimble does right, it doesn't always have meter, and not being able to block in Basilisk curbs my enthusiasm for the oki potential.

I still think Deceptive's the weakest, but I'm experimenting with it more. The low-risk wakeup and safer strings are intriguing, but time will tell if it's worth switching for.

GS_Zodiac

Determined to make a name for the mid-west
Can anyone drop some advice for landing the "run cancel f412xxbf4" after njp f41 in the 41% no meter whiff punish combo?