What's new

Rate Your Character (Mortal Kombat X Edition)!

LuckyStrikeMike

Philosopher
Johnny Cage (Fisticuffs)

Pressure (4.5/5) and 50/50s (2/5) = [3.5/5]: Fisticuffs lives and dies by its pressure. As everyone is now well aware, dealing with speedbad (b12121212 . . . ) up close is difficult for any character, but especially for characters without fast armored moves. Speedbag can crush slow armor, be staggered and repeated on basically any hit, and is easily confirmable into full combo for good damage (~33%). Speedbag suffered from a few frame nerfs and seems to push back more quickly after the latest patch, but it is still definitely Fisticuffs' best tool. It is worth noting, however, that nearly every character in the game can backdash or armor out of speedbag pressure at multiple points during block pressure. Any character with a fast armored launcher (Kung Lao, Cassie, Jax) can blow speedbag up without a second thought. Unfortunately, Fisticuffs lacks any real 50/50 game. The only 50/50 worth noting is a mixup between 113 and 11~~f24, which can be reacted to with little matchup experience. Though Johnny has an excellent d4, it doesn't really do anything more than allow him to close the distance to begin speedbag pressure.

Footsies [3.5/5]: While Johnny has decent universal footsies, his tools in Fisticuffs are noticeably weaker when compared to his other variations. His main footises consist of f34, f24, 11, d4, and fireballs. Though f34 is generally a good tool for closing space, it is unsafe in Fisticuffs without meter (-11). f24 is a better tool for creating pressure for sweep distance, but it is relatively slow and leaves him at disadvantageous frames up close (-6). Fisticuffs generally is forced to rely on d4--run--speedbag to create advantageous situations. Better opponents are less likely to fall for the two dimensional footsies in Fisticuffs.

Defensive Options [3.5/5]: Fisticuffs has average defense. Though Fisticuffs can take advantage of a variety of armored moves on wakeup (ex shadow kick, shadow flip, nutpunch), none of them are safe, and all can be full combo punished on block by most of the cast. Fisticuffs doesn't have particularly strong anti-air. Many Fisticuffs players tend to rely on ex shadow flip, d4 for trip guard, or sometimes ex nutpunch for the surprise factor. Johnny also has one of the worst NJPs in the game, and Fisticuffs isn't going to get much benefit out of it, even on a hard read.

Zoning (4/5) and Anti-Zoning (2/5) = [3/5]: Fisticuffs has a surprisingly good zoning game. Both mid and high fireball are quick, do good damage, and have excellent hitboxes that tend to catch opponents at odd angles. The only way to effectively avoid the fireballs is to run to center stage and neutral duck, which may create the opportunity for Johnny to advance. Both fireballs can be enhanced to leave Johnny at +5, which is always useful in making his less appealing footsies safer options. Fisticuffs' zoning also benefits from the fistbump chip buff, which allows each fireball to do about 3.5% chip if blocked. What Fisticuffs possesses in Zoning, it lacks in Anti-Zoning. Fisticuffs suffers from MK9 Johnny Cage syndrome. You will frequently find yourself being forced to run and duck toward stronger zoning characters like Kenshi, Kitana, Liu Kang, or Quan. Fisticuffs' only real anti-zoning tool is ex shadow kick, which is predictable and can be full combo punished on block or whiff (which happens a lot more than you'd expect, because it's a high for some reason).

Damage Output [3.5/5]: Sadly, Fisticuffs does below average damage. Fisticuffs bnbs tend to do 21-26% meterless, and 33-35% for 1 meter midscreen. This damage doesn't really increase when in the corner, though Fisticuffs damage benefits overall in the corner because of speedbag pressure and chip. It's likely unrealistic to claim that Fisticuffs gets much extra damage from fistbump, because it has relatively slow start up and you're forced to sacrifice bnb damage to combo into it. Damage output was probably better before the latest patch because of better speedbag pressure, but it has suffered somewhat since then. But, Fisticuffs does probably benefit the most from ending all bnbs in the nutpunch standing reset.

Total: 17/25 = Mid/Low tier.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Mileena (All Variations)

1) 50/50 mixups and pressure P(4/5) R(4/5) E(4.5/5)
Mileena has great pressure options available, and a nice mixup game to play with in Ravenous thanks to her command grabs. Her 8 frame roll MUST be respected at all times, and EX Roll in itself also has to be factored in due to the way it strikes (acting as a good 50/50 and corner variant). Command grabs give more options as well, as recovery off of basic strings can be shortened (thus slightly safer). Low Pounce can also be used as a surprise tactic on low turtlers for a decent 16%. That's about where it ends though, as Mileena MUST take some risks to reap her rewards. Ethereal has EX fade to apply massive pressure and mix up potential with bar, thus it is rated slightly higher. Roll is HORRIBLY punishable off of block, as is her telekick and EX variations of said moves. She's got awesome pressure and a decent 50/50 game--it's just punished easily. However, I must also take into account the fact that I really don't see Mileena punished on the level she COULD be. Even in tourney play, I don't see her punished as much as I would have figured. I see her get by with a blocked roll quite a bit. We have to remember that it's up to your OPPONENT to capitalize--and not all do.

2) Neutral game and footsies P(3/5) R(2.5/5) E(2.5/5)
Mileena doesn't really shine here--decent options for the par, though. She's got a decent D3, F4, and D1, but that's about it. Her U3 can be a nice AA surprise, but it is outright beaten by a lot of things. D3 and F4 are some of her better options, universally. Not the best, but not the worst. She has some extra length on some pokes in Piercing, which can come in handy.

3) Defensive options P(2/5) R(1.5/5) E(4.5/5)
Ravenous and Piercing Mileena is NOT a defensive character. EX Roll gives a nice bit of armor, but it's been examined to death and most people familiar with Mileena can usually pick out when it's coming. High pounce can help shorten up her recovery on some strings, but she's still -12 on that I believe. Low sai in Piercing can be a nice tool to win out on the fireball war, at the very least. Ethereal offers much more on the defensive front with fades on block strings, which greatly helps her to retreat or cross up if need be. EX fade is also one of the best safe wake up options in the game.

4) Zoning and anti-zoning P(3.5/5) R(3/5) E(4/5)
Ravenous is the weakest in this category. Ethereal and Piercing have access to MUCH better tools here (fades and low sai, respectively). She has the universal sai game that does have plenty of use, but nothing on the level that the other two variants get. Roll is very useful for jumpers, and she's a naturally quicker character.

5) Damage output P(3.5/5) R(4/5) E(2.5/5)
Ravenous is arguably Mileena's strongest variation for raw damage. Easily obtainable damage off of a basic combo-->roll type setups and command grab enders. Command throws by themselves can net a decent little chunk, and her Quick Taste combo (B12 1+3)yields her highest standalone output at 20% when extended. Great damage, but still a bit lacking when compared to some of the other cast. Piercing follows right behind, as it can still keep up with Ravenous thanks to B21 2+4. Ethereal takes a big hit on the damage scale, as it will have to waste bar in order to get the damage going. This variation is very reliant on bar, so she has to be a bit more conservative with it in my opinion.

Overall : P(16/25) R(15/25) E(18/25)

One thing I really like about Mileena is that ALL of her variations are viable.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
GuerillaTactix said:
Mobility - This was left out but is very important. Some character may have great footsies but lack in the mobility area. Why should they be lumped together?
Mobility is part of anti-zoning. If you have good mobility, you have good anti-zoning. Kung Lao is the perfect example.

GuerillaTactix said:
Armored Special - Let's be more specific than just calling this a defensive option.. A good armored special move IS your offense in the case of say Jax. In the same respect some great armored specials make for shit wake ups right?
If the armored EX special move is part of offense, evaluate it as such. Likewise, if the armored EX special move is a poor wake up attack, evalute it as such.

GuerillaTactix said:
Meter Building - This is so game changing I can't believe it wasn't mentioned. It's also very different from meter usage so I don't want to lump it together as meter management.
Meter building is part of footsies and zoning. Quan Chi, for example, has solid footsies and the best zoning in the game. He builds a lot of meter, particularly by zoning.

GuerillaTactix said:
Meter Dependency - So crucial! Some of us use character who live and die by special meter. Others save it for EX-ray attacks. Lets' talk about it.
Meter dependency is too specific. Some characters can afford "to live and die by special meter" because they build a lot of it.

The categories are not perfect, but I think people are criticizing the wrong aspects. As I was assigning the points for each category, I was thinking about whether certain categories should be worth more points than others. For example, we realize that "50/50 mix ups and pressure" are more important in this game than "zoning and anti-zoning".

What about in the corner when you have a clone up, is b2 still as unsafe against the majority of the cast?. You have ways to make your mixups safe ish. And you do not just have a 50/50. You can combo a grab into a clone.
B2 is still punished by a lot of characters some with meter, others without. Its funny.. SZ is the ONLY character who is unsafe but presumed to be safe. people seem to know punishment for every other character but never look at him because it is assumed he is safe.

B2 is still punished by a lot of characters some with meter, others without. Its funny.. SZ is the ONLY character who is unsafe but presumed to be safe. people seem to know punishment for every other character but never look at him because it is assumed he is safe.
Okay who can punish b2 in the corner with a clone up. Name all the characters and who can full combo punish it.

Doing Tempest Lao of course *smirk*

-50/50 Mixups and Pressure (3.75/5): Has a pretty weak 50/50 off his forward+2 (either chain the 3, or delay and swing out the back+2), but it's a 50/50 nonetheless. His pressure however.......well you know

-Neutral Game and Footsies (4.5/5): So many advancing normals with his back+3, back+1, back+2, forward+2, forward+4, not to mention Cyclone and hat spin enhances all of those advancing normals.

-Defensive Options (5/5): Cyclone, seven frame 1,1,2,1,2 string that's -3 on block, need I say more?

-Zoning and Anti-Zoning (3.5/5): You can control the hat toss up and down, it's still some shit. His mobility with his teleport and run speed though.....

-Damage Output (5/5): BnB combo gets 37% meterless. Teleport+2 BnB gets 40%. One bar in the corner gets 50%+...

Total: 21.75/25

Error

DF2+R2
Since Commando has been done

Mystic Ermac:

50/50 mix-ups and pressure (4/5): Has a very good 50/50 in B3/F4 which both lead to full combo, but he must commit to a punishable special for any damage as any other option save EX soul blast is highly unsafe. Has decent pressure with d3 and instant air blasts.

Neutral game and footsies: (3/5) - D2, D4 and Force-push are all decent AAs, and D3 low profiles, has range and is quick, very plus on hit. B12 has good range but hits high. Very honest footsies game.

Defensive options: (4/5) - Has very good down pokes and a safe armor move in EX Soul burst to interrupt pressure. EX teleport has wonky armor on wake-up that he can get a full combo from, but it is unreliable and unsafe, if the armor worked he would be 5/5.

Zoning and anti-zoning: (2.5/5) - Teleport and ground slam are great anti-zoning tools on a read, but force-push (Levitate) is nowhere near as good a zoning it was in MK9 due to how unsafe it is and the run. At max range it is punishable by some with reversal specials or pressure. Closest thing to a projectile is ground slam, which is risky.

Damage output: (4/5) - Hits low/mid 30's meterless, and high 30s with a bar depending on the starter.

17.5/25 Decent, but outclassed by Master of Souls.

@Big D @Shark Tank @Temjiin @zaf

Tweedy

Noob
Ninjutsu Scorpion

50/50 mix ups and pressure: 2/5

I don't really consider Scorpion to have 50/50s, since you can always block his slow overhead on reaction. His pressure in ninjutsu isn't terrible. He has quite a few strings that aren't punishable on block.

Neutral game and footsies: 5/5

f2 and b2...

defensive options: 3/5

Scorpion doesn't have the best armored moves on wake up, but his aren't bad. His takedown is extremely fast and his teleport is a full combo launcher. I think he falls right in the middle of the cast here.

Zoning and anti-zoning: 2/5

I didn't know what to put here. Ninjutsu Scorpion can't zone, but he's really hard to zone. lol

Damage output: 4/5

Not the best, but definitely up there. I could see the argument for him being a 5.

16/25

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Unbreakable Sub-Zero

50/50s and Pressure 3/5- b2 and b33 are his go to mixup options, b2 is unsafe, b33 converts into ice ball on females only but will work on both genders in the corner. However, ice shiled can be used to negate wakeups, which is great in the corner

Neutral/Footises 3/5- not much to say here, he doesn't particularly excel in footsies, but his f4, d4, and b2 have decent enough range, and slide, while punishable, does allow him to close space quickly

Defensive Options 3/5- Ice Aura and EX Ice Aura are amazing tools that allow him to ignore chip or to both ignore chip and take a 30% damage reduction. Ice Shield is risky but can be used to parry string gaps and convert into a full (25%) combo and corner carry

Zoning/Anti Zoning 2/5- Ice Ball and EX Ice Ball are good for projectile trading. Besides this, the ice ball itself is not a good zoning tool and use of his ice shield in this regard is risky and fruitless. Use of Ice Aura to negate chip helps.

Damage Output 1/5- Midscreen Damage capped at 30% with a Jump-in punch. Max conversion off a freeze is ~25%. Corner Damage can get up to 39% off an unsafe b2 though.

Total: 12/25

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Quan Chi...
...has an armored launcher in Warlock. Portal Scoop.

Also, considering that Sun God has an armored command grab that does decent damage and oki for a wakeup, I don't really think he's hurting too badly in that area. Would definitely be better if there weren't so many throw immune strings though.

Pnut

Mouth of the Illuminati
Kotal Kahn (War God)

1. 50/50 Pressure - 2.5/5
He has effective and simple mixup options with overhead sword, sword sweep, and the unblockable sword swing. Problem is his pressure is risky and generally unsafe.

2. Neutral - 4/5
F1 is good, F2 is good. D1 is good, D2 is a solid AA. Great walk speed, great run speed. F1B2 xx DF2 is safe. Good range on EX DB1. Great JP1. Loses points because air grab is not that good. Also lacks more safety in general.

3. Defense - 3/5
Has good low pokes, also options with meter. Nothing spectacular but he has something at least.

4. Zoning/anti-zoning - 1/5
EX Sword Toss is probably his only legitimate option to counter any zoning. Though to be honest I don't think he's that bad against zoning in the end.

5. Damage - 5/5
One of the reasons I like this character. Easy damage, I remember it took me 5 minutes in the lab to figure out a 50% combo.

TOTAL - 16.5/25

I play other characters but only felt comfortable commenting on Kotal.
F1b2xxdf2 can be poked out of or armored through. It's not safe.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Dualist Liu Kang

50/50 mix ups and pressure - 2/5
B2 does 7% and isn't even a hkd. His other overhead is 113 but there is a gap and is negative. Low orb buff is nice but is extremely hard to setup and take advantage of. If it hits you are likely going to drop your conversion cause it is so rare.

Stance switch pressure has only 1 plus option at +6. Hardly anything to write home about. B1 is helpful but doesn't often get the chance to use it in pressure. Just block low and wait for your chance to get out.

Ex light ball is super + but with push back that doesn't let him use the frames for pressure.

Neutral game and footsies - 2/5
Great forward and backward walk speed and decent range on b2. But again it doesn't lead to much.

Defensive options - 1/5
Terrible and slow pokes. Decent horizontal range on uppercut. Terrible Armor options.

Zoning and anti-zoning - 1/5
Zoning among worst in game. Light stance projectiles are laughable. Orbs are decent but cannot be set up to zone. Traps done off knockdowns are beat but those options are limited.

Damage output - 2/5
Low damage across the board 28-33%. Spending bar doesn't extend combos. If you can get full charge and land a 70% combo I'll give you my testicles.

Total Score: 8/25 (holy shit this is bad)

...has an armored launcher in Warlock. Portal Scoop.

Also, considering that Sun God has an armored command grab that does decent damage and oki for a wakeup, I don't really think he's hurting too badly in that area. Would definitely be better if there weren't so many throw immune strings though.
I can't get behind that. Chances are that if i can catch them with the grab for a max of 19% i could've caught them with an overhead sword for 32% in war god. + it doesnt have range. You could literally just sit outside of throw range and punish with your biggest combo + it whiffs on certain strings+ it loses to jump ins. Sun gods wake up is trash.

LEGEND

YES!

Mystic Ermac:

50/50 mix-ups and pressure (4/5): Has a very good 50/50 in B3/F4 which both lead to full combo, but he must commit to a punishable special for any damage as any other option save EX soul blast is highly unsafe. Has decent pressure with d3 and instant air blasts.

Neutral game and footsies: (3/5) - D2, D4 and Force-push are all decent AAs, and D3 low profiles, has range and is quick, very plus on hit. B12 has good range but hits high. Very honest footsies game.

Defensive options: (4/5) - Has very good down pokes and a safe armor move in EX Soul burst to interrupt pressure. EX teleport has wonky armor on wake-up that he can get a full combo from, but it is unreliable and unsafe, if the armor worked he would be 5/5.

Zoning and anti-zoning: (2.5/5) - Teleport and ground slam are great anti-zoning tools on a read, but force-push (Levitate) is nowhere near as good a zoning it was in MK9 due to how unsafe it is and the run. At max range it is punishable by some with reversal specials or pressure. Closest thing to a projectile is ground slam, which is risky.

Damage output: (4/5) - Hits low/mid 30's meterless, and high 30s with a bar depending on the starter.

Mystic Ermac's 50/50 game is completely safe if you OS the low and use instant air ex air blast as the overhead

I'd lower damage output and put a point up on zoning/counter zoning

n1kosh

Train harder
Johnny Cage A-List
(I'm sorry I do not speak very well English)
1. 50/50 mix ups and pressure (5/5) – Run Cancel and Dush Cancel give him great potential for pressure and mix ups

2. Neutral game and footsies (5/5) – A-List allows you to deceive and confuse the opponent

3. Defensive options (3/5) – Two many are punishable combos and specials. But back Dash Cancel save him!!!

4. Zoning and anti-zoning (4/5) – Arc (Twisted) force ball, shadow kick (nice anti-zoning option)

5. Damage output (4/5) – 1 and 2 bar combos give nice damage

Total 21\25 A Tier

Reactions: GAV

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com

Mystic Ermac:

I think my scores for first 3 match yours for same reasons too for MOS.

I played like 500 games with Mystic before I threw the towel in, if it gets buffed to viable I'll probably move back to it. I really thought I could make it work but retrospectively I think I got away with murder online :(