What's new

Strategy Option Selects

DeftMonk

Noob
I don't like OS's because making unsafe moves safe just due to cancel design and roll the dice, some characters get worthwhile OS some don't, makes me feel like victories are a lot cheaper. I enjoy the challenge of multiplayer competitiveness. If my opponent wants to use OS, I don't give a shit. Just don't enjoy it for my own play.

Couldn't be more right. Just because you like OS, does not make them "mandatory", nor does just saying it make it so. Look at DJT kicking ass at the highest level with Tempest Lao, a character that doesn't even HAVE option selects worth using, so how the fuck is it mandatory to use OS's to compete at the highest level lol?
i believe the reason that DJT is able to do so is the "tempest lao" part. If you had said "ronin takeda" or "balanced kenshi" or some such character not flooded with safe options...you get the point :p

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I'm not saying they aren't awesome for some characters. I'm just saying you could be playing your character perfect and not use a single OS depending on the character.

DeftMonk

Noob
I feel ya, was just poking fun. You main hat trick? don't see that often @I GOT HANDS. is there a place i can find a list of available OS's inside MKX? Someone mentioned Sonic Fox's combo into command grab is an os. is that really necessary? if you cant hit confirm that string you are a scrub...its long as hell.

Tweedy

Noob
DJT actually uses an option select with Lao's jumping 3. He was talking about it on the Yomi Gaming stream the other day, and he said he can use it to avoid a lot of wake ups in the game. Watch his match vs Dizzy at EVO and you'll see it.

infamy23

FireBeard
this post is blowing my mind...i am a street fighter player for years and years but MKx caught my attention. I am akin to plinking but I cant really grasp the concept of this 100%.... can someone type the input command for one of these? i.e. subzero's ball string. Would be much appreciated and hopefully i will understand what it is about the mechanics that allows for this. I main Johnny Cage a list if anyone knows an option select for him would be much appreciated :) BTW someone mentioned hit confirming is better. If this is as reliable as plinking and can be done off of a single hit I cant see hit confirming being 50% that good.
I'll use Sub's b33 df2 as an example.

When you press b33, there is a specific frame in the animation of this string where you will no longer be able to cancel into a special. This is called the cancel window.

So just assume that frame 1 is when you press b33.

Frame 35 is end of the cancel window (it's not actually on frame 35 this is just an example, but it would be somewhere in the ball park of frame 35).

The end of the cancel window is usually in the first few frames of recovery. So basically, immediately after the last move in the string makes contact.

The game is programmed to allow a special input, anywhere from the time you input the b33, up until frame 35. If you complete the df2 input any time before frame 35 has passed, your ice ball will come out.

If you complete the df2 input on frame 36, then your ice ball doesn't come out. You missed the cancel window.

Understand that concept? Okay good.

If you were to input your df2 well in advance, on frame 20 for example, the actual move still comes out on frame 36, after the cancel window has passed. This is called an input buffer. In this example, your df2 is stored in the input buffer for 15 frames.

The game allows you to remove a special from the input buffer, with an additional directional input. So for this example, if you input df2 on frame 20, and then press back on the dpad any time before frame 35, your ice ball will not come out.

The rules for cancelling into a special, and removing a special from the buffer are the same. You must input the special, or the additional directional input, before frame 35.

So what creates the option select, is something called hitstop. When your b33 is blocked, there will be a few additional frames of animation as a result of your opponent blocking. These additional frames are not considered part of the b33 frame data. They are extra. So what happens is frame 35 (the end of the cancel window), now becomes frame 36, or 37, or 38... whatever. Depends on the move.

This means that if your opponent blocks b33, the cancel window gets extended to frame 37. But if he gets hit by the b33, the cancel window remains at frame 35.

So if you train your muscle memory to input df2 on let's say frame 25, and you always press back on the dpad on frame 37, then your iceball will always come out on hit, but it will never come out on block.

Opponent gets hit: You press back on frame 37. Cancel window has already passed, so your back input does not remove df2 from the buffer. Ice ball comes out.

Opponent blocks: You press back on frame 37. Cancel window has been extended, your back input removes df2 from the buffer. Ice ball doesn't come out.

TL;DR

Just press back on the dpad 1 or 2 frames after Sub-Zero's foot makes contact with his opponent and the ice ball will come out on hit and not on block.

Hope that helps :)

DeftMonk

Noob
infamy u are the business...completely understand now. Thanks so much. Don't suppose it helps me much...with a-list for instance 333 on hit I will go to db 4 or nut punch depending on situation but on block will do shadow kick run cancel.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I feel ya, was just poking fun. You main hat trick? don't see that often @I GOT HANDS. is there a place i can find a list of available OS's inside MKX? Someone mentioned Sonic Fox's combo into command grab is an os. is that really necessary? if you cant hit confirm that string you are a scrub...its long as hell.
Yeah I main Hat Trick. There is a couple of us but not many lol. Wrote a guide here, still got stuff to add but it's in decent shape http://testyourmight.com/threads/hat-jus-drippin-in-swag-a-guide-to-everything-hat-trick.54314/

There isn't a list of all OS out there. You are better off checking individual forums, but pretty much everything can be OS, the real question is if it's worth while. Everything on Tempest for example can be hitconfirmed, its more relevant for characters that need an unsafe special to combo, but the opener string is too short to hitconfirm.

DeftMonk

Noob
when i asked for the list I hadnt fully grasped what an OS is and now thanks to the explanation from infamy I do :p Checking out your hat trick guide and it looks quite intriguing :) BTW if you or anyone else from the site need music for a youtube video feel free to hit him up. I am a producer/dj currently in hong kong would be happy to make a dope song with MK sounds in it for someone lol

infamy23

FireBeard
I forgot to mention that this can be applied in another way as well.

If you do b2 df2 with Raiden and you input the df2 one or two frames after the cancel window, the df2 will come out on block but not on hit.

This is useful when the special is safer on block than the string. b2 is -63 whereas df2 is -7