What's new

Strategy Option Selects

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
To me most OSes take away rather than add to the game, especially this one. Part of the game is supposed to be about calculating risks and using this knowledge to help make reads and mind games. With this OS you basically take all that away and just do the best possible thing for any given situation.

With that being said, if they are in the game and you're trying to win money, then by all means use em. It's like having hidden missiles and Vergil in MvC3. Dudes are trying to win money so obviously they will go with the most OP, Broken, safe, strong, best plan possible to increase their odds.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Correct sir. Granted, I don't use Sub anymore so I am not sure what Ice Burst is on block, but it does generate pushback so its a HELL of a lot safer than Ice Ball, that's for damn sure.
Oh that's neat I didn't know that. Anymore for Cryomancer that you can think of?

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
Oh that's neat I didn't know that. Anymore for Cryomancer that you can think of?
you shouldnt do that onew hen the b12 ice ball ot no ice ball is easier and leaves you at -6 not -10 just b12 ice ball hold back or forward right after and nothing comes out on block ice ball on hit tom brady actually made a video on it i reccomend you check it out ^_^

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It's going to take time. A lot of the basic option selects aren't even listed in these forums. They should be removed but probably can't, so better learn them I guess...

APNO

Victims aren't we all
I have seen all the videos in youtube and I still do not understand how OS work in this game. Also is this even possible to do with a controller??

I have seen all the videos in youtube and I still do not understand how OS work in this game. Also is this even possible to do with a controller??
Yea, you can do them with a controller, it is not difficult at all. The main purpose of an OS is to make you safe in unsafe situations. Prime example, watching Sonic Fox do the patented 2,1,1,2,2 string into the command grab is an OS.

APNO

Victims aren't we all
Yea, you can do them with a controller, it is not difficult at all. The main purpose of an OS is to make you safe in unsafe situations. Prime example, watching Sonic Fox do the patented 2,1,1,2,2 string into the command grab is an OS.
yeah but obviously this string is long enough to allow you to buffer it which is not the case in most block strings

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Option Selects are most likely going to stay, and if you play a character that is waaayyyy better with them(i.e Cassie, Ermac, Cryo Sub, etc.) it would be kind of dumb not to learn them.

That being said, if you dont want to learn them there are a lot of characters who dont have or dont even need OS's to compete, so just pick one of those and you will be good.

APNO

Victims aren't we all
Option Selects are most likely going to stay, and if you play a character that is waaayyyy better with them(i.e Cassie, Ermac, Cryo Sub, etc.) it would be kind of dumb not to learn them.

That being said, if you dont want to learn them there are a lot of characters who dont have or dont even need OS's to compete, so just pick one of those and you will be good.
how do they work ??

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure

Wait ermac has an OS? That sounds disgusting, what is it?

QXD

Noob
I don't feel OS are the problem. The cancel windows in this game are. Some moves are impossible to hit confirm, and therefore if you don't want to get blown up for tying to apply pressure (especially with Ermac and Mileena) you have to use them.

Somea2V

Thread Referee
Maybe I'm just missing something. Why, in a game with a simple concept of "safe" and "unsafe", would there be an intended option to guarantee unsafe moves benefit you or become safe if they don't? I mean, the whole point of a fighting game is to have players compete with their respective tool sets and weigh the risks and makes the reads of using the tools, safe and unsafe alike, to beat their opponent. And yet, OS's allow you to basically throw that very portion of the meta straight out the window. How is this supposed to be intentional in any game?

DeftMonk

Noob
this post is blowing my mind...i am a street fighter player for years and years but MKx caught my attention. I am akin to plinking but I cant really grasp the concept of this 100%.... can someone type the input command for one of these? i.e. subzero's ball string. Would be much appreciated and hopefully i will understand what it is about the mechanics that allows for this. I main Johnny Cage a list if anyone knows an option select for him would be much appreciated :) BTW someone mentioned hit confirming is better. If this is as reliable as plinking and can be done off of a single hit I cant see hit confirming being 50% that good.