What's new

Strategy Option Selects

So I'm in practice mode and I have a question. Maybe someone like @Pig Of The Hut or some of you higher level mfers can help me out. I'm in practice mode with Quan Chi. Forward+2,1 is 9 frames on startup and forward+2,1,2 is 24 frames on startup. If I do forward+2,1 OS trance, 2 is it 9 frames on startup or 24?

Ermacs of the world, option selects are almost mandatory. I was just wondering what are you guys' thoughts on OSs.
im sorry for my stubbornness but i wiill not believe anyone who says he's using ermac's OS consistently in a heat of a match. i can do raidien's alright but ermac's OS are hard maaan, undoably hard. maybe im a scrub, i dunno. oh how i wish they would simply vanish =(

Told you man, you're wasting your time. Ever since they were found out, people put this huge stigma on them, as you can see.
It's just that awkward moment that option selects were in the arcade version of Killer Instinct (yes I'm that old) and every other fighting game that followed. One thing I learned from playing Madden competitively, there will ALWAYS be something broke in the game, you just have to adjust to it

im sorry for my stubbornness but i wiill not believe anyone who says he's using ermac's OS consistently in a heat of a match. i can do raidien's alright but ermac's OS are hard maaan, undoably hard. maybe im a scrub, i dunno. oh how i wish they would simply vanish =(
He has one of the easiest ones (back+3 or forward+4 into OS soul ball)

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
It's just that awkward moment that option selects were in the arcade version of Killer Instinct (yes I'm that old) and every other fighting game that followed. One thing I learned from playing Madden competitively, there will ALWAYS be something broke in the game, you just have to adjust to it
Yup but apparently it's lazy and if you do them you are bad

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
by options selects is everyone referring to release check, alternate control, and input shortcuts? aren't they on by default on ps4? If so I had to turn them all off. I felt like I played much worse. I kept doing moves I had no intention of performing. I suppose certain characters they may help with.

I don't know if people using them should be considered lazy or bad, just preference I guess. Regardless I have all those options turned off, but I know I had to go in and turn them off.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
by options selects is everyone referring to release check, alternate control, and input shortcuts? aren't they on by default on ps4? If so I had to turn them all off. I felt like I played much worse. I kept doing moves I had no intention of performing. I suppose certain characters they may help with.

I don't know if people using them should be considered lazy or bad, just preference I guess. Regardless I have all those options turned off, but I know I had to go in and turn them off.
No, an OS for example with Quan : B2 trance D, if B2 hits trance comes out. If B2 is blocked, nothing comes out.

It's just a way to create "safer" offense.

Ryncage

Noob
No, an OS for example with Quan : B2 trance D, if B2 hits trance comes out. If B2 is blocked, nothing comes out.

It's just a way to create "safer" offense.
Or you can just see that your opponent is blocking and dont input your special.

Thats far more impressive than a few extra buttons slapped to the end your combo to avoid your mistake. Maybe its to help old folks with slower reaction times but quick hands to stay competitive.

Opinion aside, if its a feature in the game, at tourny level youd be a fool not to make use of it.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Told you man, you're wasting your time. Ever since they were found out, people put this huge stigma on them, as you can see.
thats TYM just brush it off, they will learn because its something that they don't like, doesn't make it not ment to be in the game, i remember them boosting it up, the hype of it before the game released, so obviously they where meant to be there. if you can't rock them or refuse to, more power to you, but others that use challenging characters that need the option on their god awful negative strings will continue to use them when forced by players like kung lao who have the option to do it safely, but obviously not every character has the options that Lao and a few others have!

you can't attack players for using an in game intended feature announced since before release and say they are scrubs for using it.

learn it or don't use it. ADAPT don't try to get ride of a great function in this game that adds diversity to characters, i want it to stay complicated, for me to know with so many MU's that there is several options a player can do off certain strings, it just makes the gameplay that much more fun, but if you refuse to brush up on this, yeah it probably will suck to have that against you.

Colest

Mid-Tier 'Mancer Main
Ice Ball predominately. The main pressure string I use with Cyro is Forward+3,3 (which is like -4 on block), I do meter burn Ice ball after the forward+3, then implement the second 3 (I actually hit 3 twice, the first one cancels the MB Ice Ball and the second one finishes the string). Also, if I use Back+1,2 or Back+3,3 or 1,1 strings, I will do Ice Ball then Ice Burst. If you do it fast enough it cancels the Ice Ball (which is hella negative on block) and you get Ice Burst (which I think is like -10, but it also generates push back)
Tell me more about this if you would. The back 1,2 string with ice ball into ice burst will do Ice Ball on hit and Ice Burst on block?

Tell me more about this if you would. The back 1,2 string with ice ball into ice burst will do Ice Ball on hit and Ice Burst on block?
Correct sir. Granted, I don't use Sub anymore so I am not sure what Ice Burst is on block, but it does generate pushback so its a HELL of a lot safer than Ice Ball, that's for damn sure.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I don't like OS's because making unsafe moves safe just due to cancel design and roll the dice, some characters get worthwhile OS some don't, makes me feel like victories are a lot cheaper. I enjoy the challenge of multiplayer competitiveness. If my opponent wants to use OS, I don't give a shit. Just don't enjoy it for my own play.

Couldn't be more wrong
Couldn't be more right. Just because you like OS, does not make them "mandatory", nor does just saying it make it so. Look at DJT kicking ass at the highest level with Tempest Lao, a character that doesn't even HAVE option selects worth using, so how the fuck is it mandatory to use OS's to compete at the highest level lol?