What's new

Strategy Option Selects

So, the other day I was watching @Pig Of The Hut stream and he said that "no one uses option selects". Is there a particular reason as to why that is? If you're using someone like Lao, or Liu Kang it would make sense, but for the Quan Chi, Subzero, Ermacs of the world, option selects are almost mandatory. I was just wondering what are you guys' thoughts on OSs.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Well quan has thay b2 trance os. But b2 is still punishable. I believe. So iguess your saving your self from -123.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I use option selects on Characters with a vortex because I'm a cheap SoB.

Doesn't dizzy use a lot of option selects with Raiden? I see him use them quite a bit. That or he's just intentionally doing b2~df2

Last edited:

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Options selects are great! I get to be safe if I guess wrong, it's absolutely necessary to play at the highest level. I don't feel like I'm quite there at all, but at they're a great tool.

I feel like option selects really shouldn't be in the game, but if they're there I'll use them.

EmoScoobyDoo

Maybe I'll have something to say ... Probably not
I think a lot of people are still learning the timing on them. Like my friend can't seem to get down B12~Flip kick OS with Cassie even though I don't find it difficult. And for single hitting normals it actually can be hard, especially if you're OSing to make the rest of the string come out on block.

And some people just seem to have too much pride to use them for some reason. It's like in the USF community how some people despise plinking for no real reason even though it makes things so much easier.

They will likely be used more and more as time goes on because it'll make everyone safer and probably wont be taken out because it has been in the input buffer system since MK9. (ask anyone who ever tried doing Skarlet dagger cancels too fast)

When I use sub (Cyro, not GM), I literally live off OSs. It was just amazing hearing Pig say that and I'm like Dafuq?!?!?! He gotta be bluffing.

Well quan has thay b2 trance os. But b2 is still punishable. I believe. So iguess your saving your self from -123.
I think all of Quan's strings suck on block aside from Forward+2,1,2 which is like -1 on block. The rest are like at best -7, which still isn't bad. But like for example, with Quan, on block you can do forward+2,1,2, trance OS into Meter Burn rune....

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
I think all of Quan's strings suck on block aside from Forward+2,1,2 which is like -1 on block. The rest are like at best -7, which still isn't bad. But like for example, with Quan, on block you can do forward+2,1,2, trance OS into Meter Burn rune....
This is true. But your not really going o be opening ppl up with f212.

I think I was getting ahead of myself with that one. I seen a lot of people get out of block strings by getting hit by the last hit but then I realize the final two in forward+2,1,2 doesn't cause a knock down, so that was actually a bad example. That OS is just the difference of a meter burn full combo and a meterless full combo [insert facepalm emoji here]

Ice Ball predominately. The main pressure string I use with Cyro is Forward+3,3 (which is like -4 on block), I do meter burn Ice ball after the forward+3, then implement the second 3 (I actually hit 3 twice, the first one cancels the MB Ice Ball and the second one finishes the string). Also, if I use Back+1,2 or Back+3,3 or 1,1 strings, I will do Ice Ball then Ice Burst. If you do it fast enough it cancels the Ice Ball (which is hella negative on block) and you get Ice Burst (which I think is like -10, but it also generates push back)

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
i like them on the other hand, i use them with several characters: Sonya, Cassie Raiden, Sub, Predator and some others. but i feel they are necessary later on in the tournament scene if you have a character with alot of negative strings!

I think them being mandatory (or lack thereof) is character specific. Again, it's just my thoughts, I'm not the top flight MK player like some of you guys here I'm just saying. I feel like that it does give us the option to try various shit with strings/specials that we wouldn't use before. It's all I'm saying