What's new

General/Other - Takeda (Old) Takahashi Takeda General Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
The more characters they reveal, the strong Takeda looks... :joker:

Etoroguy

Why isn't Jax's Farm a playable stage?
Hopefully he and the other new characters actually get more than one alt costume.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I now spend pretty much all of my free time thinking about how solid Takeda is going to be, and one thing that occured to me recently is how strong his air game is going to be in Shirai Ryu. Sure his normals have crazy range, but check this out: every time he leaves the ground he has the following options:
  • air-teleport
  • meter-burn air-teleport
  • air-whip
  • air flip kick
  • air kunai
  • jump-in punch
  • jump-in kick
    • jump-in kick canceled into air-teleport
    • jump-in kick canceled into meter-burn air teleport
    • jump-in kick canceled into air-whip
    • jump-in kick canceled into air flip kick
    • jump-in kick canceled into air kunai
  • empty jump into throw/pressure
We can pretty confidently assume that the TPs will be full-combo punishable (at least the non-mb version), so depending on how safe the other options are, Takeda's air game could create a nightmarish guessing game for his opponent.

Last edited:

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
He's the only asian character in the game that actually looks... asian. In all seriousness, he looks really cool. I'm surprised and also relieved that he's not just a carbon copy of Kenshi. (looking at you, Cassie...)
I predict S tier for Cassie tho :p

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I now spend pretty much all of my free time thinking about how solid Takeda is going to be, and one thing that occured to me recently is how strong his air game is going to be in Shirai Ryu. Sure his normals have crazy range, but check this out: every time he leaves the ground he has the following options:
  • air-teleport
  • meter-burn air-teleport
  • air-whip
  • air flip kick
  • jump-in punch
  • jump-in kick
    • jump-in kick canceled into air-teleport
    • jump-in kick canceled into meter-burn air teleport
    • jump-in kick canceled into air-whip
    • jump-in kick canceled into air flip kick
  • empty jump into throw/pressure
We can pretty confidentally assume that the TPs will be full-combo punishable (at least the non-mb version), so depending on how safe the other options are, Takeda's air game could create a nightmarish guessing game for his opponent.
I just got done reading @CoRzz The God's (not sure how to tag yet) Kung Jin analysis -- which was an awesome read btw-- and I started thinking about how Takeda would deal with some of his options and that led me to the same thinking. I honestly think Takeda will fair pretty well against KJ. Might be a fun MU.. Obviously we're all speculating before knowing frame data..

I guess that's how you tag. :eek:

Whether you like him or not, Takeda does have some tools needed to be great competition in the tournament scene. It'll be a fresh look compared to seeing all those Scorpions, Subs, Kitanas, and Mileenas.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
This is info gained from Repulsar, who has an early copy of the game, so I'll include it in spoilers. I hope that's not breaking any rules, but if it is, please feel free to delete this post.

1) In Shirai Ryu, do his whip specials still pull him in close on block? I'm mainly concerned about the Air Whip. Does he fling himself in regardless, or does the whip just retract and he drops to the ground? Basically, how safe are they on whiff and on block?
The spears/whips have 14 frames startup and -30 on block. They work just like Scorpions. On block you dont pull yourself on the opponent.

2) Is the hitbox for the whip specials only on the tip, or if an opponent lands somewhere on the middle of the whip, do they still get hit?
Its only the tip of the whip

3) Can he hold his meter-burn Kunai indefinitely? Do they disappear if he's hit? Can he release the MB Kunai while in hit-stun or block-stun?
He can hold them for 2 secs then they blow up. For the other properties i have to do some more testing but ill let you know.

4) What is the hit/block advantage on his flip-kick special move? Does it count as an anti-air (like a Kano Ball) or is the hitbox only on his leg when he comes down?
The active hit box of the move is his leg so when he spins the move doesnt connect. He can be poked out of it if im not mistaken. Also he has variations of this move for close, medium and far. Also you can control the distance of the move while in air.

5) For his weird "Fist of Fury" special move, does the entire thing come out if blocked, or just the first hit? I'm mainly concerned with the Lasher variation's version, since it seems to do one solid strike, and then go into the flurry of whips.
If blocked, no the move doesnt come of. Only the first punch.

---

So based on that info, Takeda isn't quite as strong as I was initially hoping. I still think he's going to be a strong contender, but with characters like D'Vorah, Kotal Kahn, and Kenshi being able to compete with him on range, he's no longer the golden child I once thought he would be. We'll have to wait to see what kind of damage he can dish out, and how fast his non-whip normals end up being.

I was really hoping the hitbox on his flip-kick would end up working like Kano Ball, since his whole body turns yellow during the animation. Without that, I'm really not sure if he's going to have any viable wakeup options.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Am I the only one who didn't know Takeda could throw his kunai while airborne? They never showed that on stream, and I didn't see it in his move list.

Status
Not open for further replies.