What's new

New Netcode: Does online now reflect Skill?

D

Deleted member 9158

I am not sure, as I have not played the beta (come on NRS, I am waiting!), but if it's as good as people are saying it is, it will be a godsend to those who lack local scenes. Online still won't matter, because it's online. But at least we'll have something that functions, and will allow new players to transition to offline competitive play more easily.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Or course you can tell if a player has skill, but I still wouldn't compare it to offline events due to the crowds and such. With that said, do online matches count? Well, why not, especially with ESL(if we get another season). Sonic is the world champ offline and dominates online as well. Might as well.

Tweedy

Noob
Why is it always the guys who don't do well offline, that get mad and condescending when you beat them online? I've done well vs a lot of top guys, even beat Foreverking and other good players in the ESL. When my inbox gets blown up, it's from the guys who lose quickly in pools. Keep in mind that i'm talking the same amount of trash to all of these players, 0. It's normally just my GG followed by "ha, you wouldn't do well offline", like first, I didn't say anything, I just beat you, and secondly, you don't beat anyone offline.

I even played one really well known player who isn't doing too hot in this game. I just left mid set because he kept sending me messages complaining, after every match I won. Nothing was substantial either, just condescending nonsense.

This post isn't meant to be sneak praise for me or anything, sorry if it comes off like that. Just speaking from my personal experience with the players in the community. It's always the people who suck anyways that try to discredit the skill of people who don't/can't play offline. These people will get exposed, moreso than the online players imo. I've already bopped a few on the beta.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Why is it always the guys who don't do well offline, that get mad and condescending when you beat them online? I've done well vs a lot of top guys, even beat Foreverking and other good players in the ESL. When my inbox gets blown up, it's from the guys who lose quickly in pools. Keep in mind that i'm talking the same amount of trash to all of these players, 0. It's normally just my GG followed by "ha, you wouldn't do well offline", like first, I didn't say anything, I just beat you, and secondly, you don't beat anyone offline.

I even played one really well known player who isn't doing too hot in this game. I just left mid set because he kept sending me messages complaining, after every match I won. Nothing was substantial either, just condescending nonsense.

This post isn't meant to be sneak praise for me or anything, sorry if it comes off like that. Just speaking from my personal experience with the players in the community. It's always the people who suck anyways that try to discredit the skill of people who don't/can't play offline. These people will get exposed, moreso than the online players imo. I've already bopped a few on the beta.
Name, shame and post pictures for the lols

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Skill as a player - yes

Skill as a tournament player - not as much, but will still be more prepared for offline majors should they choose to attend.

Basically what everyone else is saying. It'll definitely show who is a naturally decent player, but it won't show what they're like in tournament, which as everybody knows is a different ballgame. However, online tournaments will now be super legit IMO. Especially if there is a ESL Season 3, there will be no more excuses/complaining, if there is still salt and complaining at the online, there shouldn't be.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
You would body me 100/100, but that's the same thing YOMI said about S2.
Nothing changed from season 1 to season 2, the netcode was exactly the same. I probably said I would enter more season 2, but I also probably said that it isn't in my hands to do well because anything can happen in lag.

I haven't played the Beta myself yet, but if it's as good as everyone is praising it to be then Season 3 will for sure have different placers make it than the first two seasons

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
For the longest time, the staple for the Competitive scene has been that Online wins don't hold weight next to offline sets & tournament matches. This is generally when referring to the skill level of someone in relation to their peers. However, with MKX & the beginning of ESL it became the norm in conversation to bring up a player's ESL placings when ranking them on Best to Worst lists. It seemed rather odd considering a large portion of the competitive scene would often complain about online issues after each ESL event. However this is neither here nor there and that hypocrisy is overlooked.

Come March 1st, MKX's Season 2 DLC will become available and they will be ushering in an updated & more efficient Net Code. All over the MKX Beta has received strong praise from players of assorted skill levels. They're able to react, punish and land their tight link combos almost as easily as if they were offline.

So the question will then become, with Online receiving it's face list so to speak, will there be a shift in the previous mentality? Will losing a FT10 set against a player or a Tournament Match in an online setting become grounds to raise/lower someone's rank? With everything one is able to do in the beta, I would think so; it will be interesting to see what the 'rule of thumb' will be going forward.
Online will still be online. The new netcode is amazing and light years better than the old netcode. That said it's not perfect, no online netcode is perfect. There's still unpredictable variables and lag spikes.

I'd imagine everything would be more legit, though. Especially practicing and learning match-ups. Even online tournaments would actually be somewhat entertaining and fun to participate in. But, online is still online, no matter how good it is, it will never be as good as offline.

Nothing changed from season 1 to season 2, the netcode was exactly the same. I probably said I would enter more season 2, but I also probably said that it isn't in my hands to do well because anything can happen in lag.

I haven't played the Beta myself yet, but if it's as good as everyone is praising it to be then Season 3 will for sure have different placers make it than the first two seasons
take it from me bro i think you know how i feel about mk online delay bs since mk9 and i have to say that since the beta came out i have played more games online than i ever did for mk9 and mkx online combined together lol. however it is not offline there is no delay but some move are safer under different connection kind of like it was back in mka. lag now give you no input delay but lag makes characters safer and some stuff is harder to block on reaction.

Matix218

Get over here!
I have literally hated online (since MK9) so much that I almost NEVER bothered to play online. I would pay offline and practice for hours (combos, punishes, etc) only to have all of that go right out the window online to the point where it felt like I was playing a different game. No one despised playing online more than me. I was a firm believer that offline was not a good indicator of how the game worked offline.

That being said, I am COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY by the netcode in the beta. When I play online now I feel like I am playing the same game as offline.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"

Bear in mind that the US had the likes of sonicfox, woundcowboy, scar, dab, biohazard and Pig. Certainly not the type of players that will suffer now the netcode is better.

Don't forget that the new system will help those that were already good online to begin with.

I don't know how good the beta is but from everything I've seen and heard it's finally perfect. With that, I believe online is the future for the FGC. ESL alone has shown the potential for online tournaments on a big scale and once PSN catches up and does its own thing it will continue to blow up and grow the NRS community.

Players like myself who can go to one or two offline events a year or who can't go to any events for reason or another will finally have a reliable means to play competitively.

So online not meaning anything is a very close minded, set in old ways way of thinking. I see a bright future for this.

Last edited:

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
I don't know how good the beta is but from everything I've seen and heard it's finally perfect. With that, I believe online is the future for the FGC. ESL alone has shown the potential for online tournaments on a big scale and once PSN catches up and does its own thing it will continue to blow up and grow the NRS community.

Players like myself who can go to one or two offline events a year or who can't go to any events for reason or another will finally have a reliable means to play competitively.

So offline not meaning anything is a very close minded, set in old ways way of thinking. I see a bright future for this.
You mean *Online lol

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
It surely does. I mean we all know that there will always be exceptions. For instance when you just play someone who has issues with his or her connection that causes huge teleports then yes it wont reflect skill properly. BUT!!! as i ve said these are exceptions.

So the question should be "can online reflect skill now?"
My answer to that would be it definitely can.
So online is a good tool where you have the opportunity to show what you ve got. Unless you face an exception and that is totally normal.

Bear in mind that the US had the likes of sonicfox, woundcowboy, scar, dab, biohazard and Pig. Certainly not the type of players that will suffer now the netcode is better.

Don't forget that the new system will help those that were already good online to begin with.

This is true as well. While having an improved online will draw out players who avoided it before. One cannot discount that the previous placing players will be just as good, if not better.

Remember when Forever King was an online player before he started going to tournaments and he issued challenges to everyone for mirror matches in mk9? Then people were all "lol you scrub lol online" and then he started winning tournaments offline?

There are super good players online that just don't have the time to go to offline events or majors. People that are good online are probably better offline, just like everyone else. Forever King is just one example. I played his Ermac kind of alot during the first year or so of MK9. There were tons of relatively unknowns that were super good. MyGod is another one. And Woundcowboy.. Lost to his Shang in online tournaments twice before he ever went to a major. When these people started actually going to majors, I remember thinking, "just watch... these guys are way better than people think."

I was right more often than I was wrong. Online skill matters. The really good online players that turn into regulars at majors have a pretty damn good track record.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Ok? What does playing online for mu exp. have to do with my post?

Also Rico specifically counter- picked with Omen because he actually didn't feel he had enough MU exp and thought that Omen generally dealt with alot of TJ's randomness well.
You were trying to downplay online (tournaments) and you were trying to do it using Rico.

Rico doesn't put stock in online tournaments, but that is him and is his prerogative. CDjr stopped competing online too (0-2 at the KI Cup). So did PaulB (2-2 at the KI Cup). But Rebelo still does, so does Sleep, and so too does Bass from time to time...not to mention the majority of the rest who were in the Top 32. Bottom line is that the more quality tournament experience you have, the better off you are. If your PERSONAL preference is to not play in online tourneys, only offline, that is fine, but online (granted the online is good) can be a great tool, and even supplant offline in many regards.

At the end of the day, Rico is just a REALLY good player who enjoys the game. He plays and trains online MORE THAN he does offline, but most recently (like the last year) he chooses to only compete at offline events. If we are going to use Rico as a gauge for whether or not skill can be tested online, the that fact that Rico trains how he does should tell you all you know.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
There is online skill and there is offline skill.

Even if online had no lag it would still not be the same as offline at a tourney because you're sitting at home eating cheetos and jackin it in your own comfort.
offline at a tourney you have smelly gamers, people yelling and they can't be muted,
the pressure of tons of people criticizing everything you do and when you make a mistake you look stupid ect...

So unless you're somehow a robot like REO then online will never be like offline even if there is 0 lag.
Sounds more like an issue of social skills rather than in game skill.