What's new

New Netcode: Does online now reflect Skill?

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
If we're talking pure skill, then yeah, this online is by far a more accurate representation of that skill. No more, 'I pressed a button, made a sandwich, did my taxes, came back, and then it came out'. You no longer need a major in clairvoyance to react to a jump-in in time. I have been playing the beta ever since it dropped, and not once, save for that initial BS of teleporting slides and projectiles, did I think the connection screwed me over. It's finally been boiled down to a simple case of 'Who outplayed who'?

That being said, comparing the online scene to the offline/tournament scene is like comparing a day at the pool to an Olympic swim meet. The latter is the real deal, but the former can finally be a viable way to practice for the real deal, even if the occasional McDonalds wifi match will still be an issue.

And honestly, if an A-List main is happy with the new online, I think that says all that needs to be said.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Nobody saying it is good as offline, and it doesn't have to be to answer "yes" to this question. Only question is will online playskill REFLECT on your skill as a player at all.

virtiqaL

Noob
It definitely reflects skill and matchup knowledge now, for sure.

However, I think playing the game well in the comfort of your own home =/= playing well under peer pressure, criticism, while knowing you spent time and money to travel for whatever tournament you're playing in.

I would say competing in an offline tournament setting requires you to utilize a different skillset entirely on top of the ability to just play the game well.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
The new online helps to close the gap between online and offline, but online for fighting games inherently cannot match offline. The new netcode changes the game from unplayable to much, much closer to offline though.

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
not really.
online is for fun and learning MUs and new characters.
I don't think people would brag or brag about beating sonic online l0l.
Just because you're going even or beating top 8 players online does not mean that you could do the same offline.

nwo

Noob
Yes. It's not the exactly the same as offline, but anyone saying it doesn't reflect player skill is now 100% out of excuses.
Most people play online, of course this is the answer they want to hear. It's kind of like pad vs stick, most players use pad because its convenient and cheaper so most players say pad is better.

Offline is offline, online could never be equal.

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
Online should really be used as practice not as a gauge of overall skill. However with better netcode it should definitely encourage more people to come out and play at majors. More players is never a bad thing and helps to grow the overall level of gameplay.

It does prove you have skill, but youre still playing on your couch at home without people watching you play. You dont play first to 3 or first to 2 sets at home online either. So online will probably show that you have skill, but it still wont be the same. But assuming online is really good, all the tech you use online shoild be viable offline too.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
not really.
online is for fun and learning MUs and new characters.
I don't think people would brag or brag about beating sonic online l0l.
Just because you're going even or beating top 8 players online does not mean that you could do the same offline.
Online is like going to the batting cages or the driving range. If you're good online you have the capability of being good offline. You just have to do it when it matters.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
However good online is, it still isn't offline. KI's Evo Champ Rico doesn't even compete in KI online tournaments because he doesn't think it means as much.
This is actually pretty funny to read. One of the main reasons why Rico won the KI cup was because of the match-up knowledge he acquired online. Rebelo, a purely online player, was killing everyone in that tournament, and the only reason Rico chose Omen and ultimately won was because of the online training that he had done with Rebelo prior.

Regardless, offline will always be the ultimate test, but good online can be a good gauge.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Nothing will ever match being right next to your opponent in the tournament setting. Being in the environment with money on the line can't be replaced.
Is money all that matters?
What about an online tournament with big prizes? Would that make a difference?

Imho there is 0 difference between online and offline now...and I am not just an online player, I've been to offline events and will continue to do so.

It could make a difference only for people who get emotional when being in front of someone, but the game is the same.
Losing a ft10 online has the same value as a ft10 offline for me.

Last edited:

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
This is actually pretty funny to read. One of the main reasons why Rico won the KI cup was because of the match-up knowledge he acquired online. Rebelo, a purely online player, was killing everyone in that tournament, and the only reason Rico chose Omen and ultimately won was because of the online training that he had done with Rebelo prior.

Regardless, offline will always be the ultimate test, but good online can be a good gauge.
Ok? What does playing online for mu exp. have to do with my post?

Also Rico specifically counter- picked with Omen because he actually didn't feel he had enough MU exp and thought that Omen generally dealt with alot of TJ's randomness well.

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Most of the comments making this question complicated. Simple answer is, " Yes". If you can react faster and better in this netcode, then your general real skill in knowing how to execute will show. Thats offline and online.