What's new

New Intervention for MK9

Which options would be best to keep MK9 alive and well in tourneys until MK10 or UMK9 drops?

• Total voters
sorry but there is no reason to play mk9 any more. umk9 or patch wont come so sayonara mk9!
there are definitely better fighting games right now and of course some amazing classic fighting games as well. also i think a player can level up by playing different fighting games and its fun too :)
when mk10 come out i will try it out obviously.

Somnuse

Noob
OMG some of you are reacting a way I feared you'd react to be honest, and it's really sad. This is my opinion on just how I'd think the game would remain safe with tournaments in the future as an inclusion and with better numbers than 20 entrants per major now that EVO (and VXG after today) has passed. If you deny the fact that the game has had fewer and fewer entrants as time has gone on, you're pretty foolish and no doubt with all of the flaming that's going on here, many of you have displayed that ignorant and foolish mentality in spades. I love this game and don't want to see it fail so I was suggesting some things that would help the game's metagame and or balance such that you wouldn't have to bank on an update to help us out. Other top players have discussed this same thing and I wanted to create a poll of suggested themes that would be thought of. And what's even more embarrassing is that ya'll can't read the whole damn thing to see that the last 2 options were called GRAY AREAS!! Meaning that it's debatable but not something that will or could be considered. And I suppose the question mark next to the damage boost glitch mentioning wasn't subtle enough for you scrubs. That said, if you can't read the whole damn post and reply with some sense, then save this thread your ignorance and go elsewhere. Posts like most of the ones above only serve to continue to make our scene look like a joke.
Wait, are you talking about me? Or someone else?

You're completely missing the point of why these threads appear. Yes, there are players who have continued and probably will continue paying to play. There are a hell of a lot more who dropped the game, and that is what this is about.

A lovely post. Sadly, the final two sentences are exactly what a lot of people did - they didn't like the game and saw crying wasn't going to get any new patches, so they dropped it. And this is why MK tourney entrants and stream views are getting lower and lower.

People who still continue to play and watch the game need to realise why so many people stopped playing and watching it: streams packed with Kabal vs X or Kung Lao vs X, Kenshi (yes there are only a couple of actually good Kenshi players) keeping someone full screen the entire match, any time the Rooftop (Day) was selected as a stage, etc. It was/is boring as fuck to watch and a lot of players were seriously tired of their character being practically useless in some matches, with the only solution to counter-pick with another member of the top 5. Smoke resets are fun to watch simply for the fact that it's not a Kabal/Kenshi/Sonya/Cyrax/Lau winning on screen, and chances are it's one of those characters being reset to hell.

The majority of tourney players enter with no expectation of actually winning it, but enter for fun and to hope to cause a big blow-up. When the semi-pros get bodied time and time again by the same characters, they will stop turning up as it's not fun. Call out those players as much as you want, but they're more than happy playing something else. Like Mahvel.

Hardcore MK9 players who will play the game regardless of any faults/bugs/balance issues telling people to suck it up will not cause those who left to return. The remaining MK9 community needs to decide whether it wants to remain as small and insular as it is now - in which case just keep going the way you are - or actually attempt to expand the community and playerbase, which will require them to take control of the game as NRS won't/can't do anything to support it.

MK9: A game with great mechanics, shit balance, odd bugs and a masochistic community.
you sir just won this thread by a landslide. Thank you for your post because this is exactly the point I was trying to convey when I created this thread in the first place.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Kabal has 9 nearly impossible MU's to compete (9-1/8-2), Kenshi has 7 according to Poth, one of which is 10-0. But I say Kabal is more manageble than Kenshi by more chars. If something Kenshi is more ban material than Kabal, also Cyrax is more ban material than Kabal.

Matix218

Get over here!
sorry but there is no reason to play mk9 any more. umk9 or patch wont come so sayonara mk9!
there are definitely better fighting games right now and of course some amazing classic fighting games as well. also i think a player can level up by playing different fighting games and its fun too :)
when mk10 come out i will try it out obviously.
There is a reason to play mk9. Because it is fun and I enjoy it (and so do many other people in this community) . I'm not a capcom Guy or a namco Guy and while I do like injustice, I don't like playing it nearly as much as mk9. So for me that is a reason to still play it

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Most of the people who want a Kabal ban are the same people who didn't mutter a word about the character until REO picked him up. And still attempt to stress how inhumanely difficult it is to poke out of NDC holes whilst DJT literally full combos out of it.

REO also being the only Kabal to win multiple tournaments with the character.

REO also alluding people into thinking Cyber Sub, Mileena and even fucking JADE were broken during the early months of MK9.

You can misguide yourselves into a false sense of security thinking the game would be better off without the top 5 if you want to, he'll eventually just run train with Skarlet, Cage, Shang or whoever else.

There's a reason why he took the Grand Slam at NEC last year.

That being said, UMK3 is an Human Smoke/Kabal/Ermac/Reptile/Nightwolf fest (maybe with the odd Kano and Kung Lao if anyone knows how to play them at high level), and has continued a strong following for 17 years.

MK9's tournament life was already dead in the UK a year ago, and keep in mind how many Kabal players we've had here:

Zero.

Note how many EVO top 8s out of 3 an auto-pilot insta-80% damage character like Smoke has been in:

Zero.

And how many games has Chris G refused to enter at tournaments he attends because of these insurmountable characters while he uses Reptile?

Zero.

Yes, all MK games have had their fair share of stupid characters with from their earliest iterations like Liu Kang in MK2, Kabal, Tanya, Bo Rai Cho, Dairou, Sareena etc. but MK isn't dying because of imbalance, it's because of an embarrassing lack of aspiration from players to discipline their general fighting game outlook. And Injustice is already heading south because of this crusade to label characters bannable after 2 weeks, even though NRS "has learned from their mistakes".

/rant

Just because a Kabal player or reset-using Smoke/Cyrax doesn't make top 16/8 doesn't mean that they didn't win a match they shouldn't have by virtue of their character.
Characters like Kabal, KL, etc. and the use of resets allow lesser skilled players to compete with, and beat, people who are otherwise significantly their better.

Lets take me for example, a Baraka player. I'm no super-amazing top player, but I'm good.
With my character I have to constantly be aware of my spacing, be able to intelligently mix my moves up, have good reactions to AA and counterpoke, and just generally play a solid footsies game.
With a Kabal player they just have to PFFFFFFFFFFFFTIAGBF4SWORDSSAW.
They get pretty much free reign to do whatever, whenever, to pretty much the entire cast, and one character who may fair better against one aspect of his usually gets whipped by the other.

So, are you going to tell me that if I get beat by a Kabal player, he's always the better player, period?
Now what if I hadn't played a Kabal player? What if I'd gotten a Kitana, Reptile, Jax? Those characters are much more in line with how the game is designed and actually require real thought to play, and the winner will almost always come down to who plays the stronger footsie game.

Now, lets take an example of a top player, like Dizzy.
Do you really think Dizzy wouldn't be making top 3 or winning every tourny he goes to if there were no Kabals/Kenshis?
If there is any player who has a mastery over EVERY aspect of this game it's him, and yet he gets shut down by those characters time and time again.

Sami

Noob
And still attempt to stress how inhumanely difficult it is to poke out of NDC holes whilst DJT literally full combos out of it.
Imma gonna tell you some truths about the Grand Finals this year.

1) It was won on stage selection. Cyrax won on the medium and small stages, Kabal won on the long stage.

2) Poking out of NDC pressure is very risky, and there is only really one character in the game who can capitalise massively on those pokes: Cyrax. Poking out of pressure for a 30-40% combo? You'll still lose. Poke out for most of the life-bar? Job done. You then only need a half-finished combo or some good chip to take the round (assuming you don't drop the big combo).

Cyrax gets very big rewards for his pokes, and the Grand Finals was probably the only time I actually sat there and thought "he needs it" :D. I'm not downplaying DJT's skill at all, as having the patience to get through Kabal's zoning is skill as is timing those pokes and counters. However, the character he uses heavily rewards this, and winning the first match on the medium stage was the most important part of the entire set as it allowed him to counter-pick the stage on the final round.

DJT played better than REO, but that doesn't mean Cyrax is better than Kabal, and definitely doesn't mean that the same tactics used would work if done by a different character.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Just because a Kabal player or reset-using Smoke/Cyrax doesn't make top 16/8 doesn't mean that they didn't win a match they shouldn't have by virtue of their character.
Characters like Kabal, KL, etc. and the use of resets allow lesser skilled players to compete with, and beat, people who are otherwise significantly their better.

Lets take me for example, a Baraka player. I'm no super-amazing top player, but I'm good.
With my character I have to constantly be aware of my spacing, be able to intelligently mix my moves up, have good reactions to AA and counterpoke, and just generally play a solid footsies game.
With a Kabal player they just have to PFFFFFFFFFFFFTIAGBF4SWORDSSAW.
They get pretty much free reign to do whatever, whenever, to pretty much the entire cast, and one character who may fair better against one aspect of his usually gets whipped by the other.

So, are you going to tell me that if I get beat by a Kabal player, he's always the better player, period?
Now what if I hadn't played a Kabal player? What if I'd gotten a Kitana, Reptile, Jax? Those characters are much more in line with how the game is designed and actually require real thought to play, and the winner will almost always come down to who plays the stronger footsie game.

Now, lets take an example of a top player, like Dizzy.
Do you really think Dizzy wouldn't be making top 3 or winning every tourny he goes to if there were no Kabals/Kenshis?
If there is any player who has a mastery over EVERY aspect of this game it's him, and yet he gets shut down by those characters time and time again.
I do not know why you use Kabal as the scapegoat for imbalance in MK9. Your problem is Baraka lol. You will never win a tournament with him... even with Kabal you will still get mopped up by a good kenshi player...or whomever.

I get you do not like Kabal Pffffhtfirebals and ND-saws...but really you should blow up any Kabal doing that shit braindead. It is easy...even for Baraka. The fact is there is tons of braindead shit going on all over the place in this game. Sonya D4, Bird Lao ect ect... many characters are given good tools that they can abuse. But just because they can abuse them doesn't make them impossible to beat and thus banworthy....

Also, Dizzy has bopped many a top Kabal. He makes that shit look like 5-5.

I do not know why you use Kabal as the scapegoat for imbalance in MK9. Your problem is Baraka lol. You will never win a tournament with him... even with Kabal you will still get mopped up by a good kenshi player...or whomever.

I get you do not like Kabal Pffffhtfirebals and ND-saws...but really you should blow up any Kabal doing that shit braindead. It is easy...even for Baraka. The fact is there is tons of braindead shit going on all over the place in this game. Sonya D4, Bird Lao ect ect... many characters are given good tools that they can abuse. But just because they can abuse them doesn't make them impossible to beat and thus banworthy....

Also, Dizzy has bopped many a top Kabal. He makes that shit look like 5-5.
Must I repeat myself from an older topic?
I speak as an MK player, not a Baraka player. My character's problems against him and the other top 5 are shared by 80+% of the cast. It's not just me.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Must I repeat myself from an older topic?
I speak as an MK player, not a Baraka player. My character's problems against him and the other top 5 are shared by 80+% of the cast. It's not just me.
I know. I am saying that as an MK player there is so much more than Kabal...Kenshi, Sonya, Cyrax KungLao, Freddy even. It just sucks that a charecter like Kano or even has no hope to win.... but people think the problem with this game is JUST kabal. and it is not, it would be unfair to just ban him as that would do nothing. I hate how Kabal gets all the blame for the dumb stuff in MK. That poor straw-man.

Edit: you actually have said ban the top 5 characters....that would actually be fine to balance out the game.... but we could never do that since it wouldn't really be the game we play haha

I know. I am saying that as an MK player there is so much more than Kabal...Kenshi, Sonya, Cyrax KungLao, Freddy even. It just sucks that a charecter like Kano or even has no hope to win.... but people think the problem with this game is JUST kabal. and it is not, it would be unfair to just ban him as that would do nothing. I hate how Kabal gets all the blame for the dumb stuff in MK. That poor straw-man.

Edit: you actually have said ban the top 5 characters....that would actually be fine to balance out the game.... but we could never do that since it wouldn't really be the game we play haha

Kabal gets most of the attention because 1)He is #1, and 2)There are more Kabal players than the other top 5 combined, so we've had the most experience with his BS.
And I still think the top 5 should be banned, at least for 1 tourny, if only to feel it out. I think there'd be radically different results.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Kabal gets most of the attention because 1)He is #1, and 2)There are more Kabal players than the other top 5 combined, so we've had the most experience with his BS.
And I still think the top 5 should be banned, at least for 1 tourny, if only to feel it out. I think there'd be radically different results.
Hope you are watching CdJr and PLs Kabals get mopped up by Retiles at VxG. Now lets see how Dizzy does against Curbos...

Edit: Looks like Dizzy 2-0 Curbos Kabal. The 2nd best one.