What's new

New Intervention for MK9

Which options would be best to keep MK9 alive and well in tourneys until MK10 or UMK9 drops?

• Total voters
Sorry for the failed previous version...:oops:

With MK10 having been announced (albeit through just word of mouth in an interview), we have the obvious sign that the MK franchise is doing alive and well for the future should all things turn out to be true. However, I'm pretty sure that we don't want MK9 to just remain dormant until we get a new game years down the road, and the tournaments we've seen thus far that have dropped MK from the lineup in favor of IGAU have been primo evidence that MK9's "true death" is indeed upon us as predicted that it would be. As such, we need to take action against certain obvious aspects of the game, that have either driven competitors away or should not be used at all, that could inject not only some hype but much needed life back into the game. That said, here are the proposals:

A) Ban Kabal: This debate (Which IMHO should have ended LAST YEAR when he became a problem then) has been going on for years now and has only intensified with the reinforcement of the players that have either mained him or have relented to using him in order to win, chiming in recently saying that his prohibition would make for a better game. As such, this option comes first.

B) Ban Undefendable Resets: By undefendable resets, I'm referring to the cyrax 80-100% and the Smoke 75% resets that have ended many peoples tournament aspirations based off of just one lucky or good read. No player should ever get that kind of a payoff from one read even if they did use meter to do it. Many top players from other games that have played MK were turned away from this broken aspect as they felt it compromised a player winning with skill and or fundamentals and instead just revolved around that 1 lucky read.

The above are givens but the next two are in a gray area and can be considered anyway due to them probably coming down to the TO's on whether or not they can be used:

C) The damage boost "glitches" for Smoke (invisibility), Shang Tsung (EN Soul Steal), and Reptile (invisibility) ?: This is where when the damage boost occurs it remains for the rest of the game. These "glitches" have been reported over the last year and could be gamebreaking if used in tournament. I believe this has been addressed before (and someone correct me if it has) so this+ may not need to be addressed again and IDK if Reptile has the "glitch" going on.

D) The Toasty Boost (hides in foxhole to avoid getting blown up): As cool as it is to happen and even though it's a one in a million shot, the random toasty boost totally changes things from what they should be to the degree that it disrupts the nature of a match too drastically. However, given the odds that it comes out, it can be debated that it's not that much of a disruption of the outcome of the match. But when people just do uppercuts all day to get the toasty boost, then it may be left to the populus on whether or not to ban it so I digress on this one.

Either way, take a vote on how we should go about keeping MK9 fresh and with life for the next few years and for the rest of it's natural life so that we can all continue to enjoy the game that revitalized the MK faithful. After all of the moments this game has provided for us, it's earned that much.

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
D) The Toasty Boost (hides in foxhole to avoid getting blown up): As cool as it is to happen and even though it's a one in a million shot, the random toasty boost totally changes things from what they should be to the degree that it disrupts the nature of a match too drastically. However, given the odds that it comes out, it can be debated that it's not that much of a disruption of the outcome of the match. But when people just do uppercuts all day to get the toasty boost, then it may be left to the populus on whether or not to ban it so I digress on this one.

Either way, take a vote on how we should go about keeping MK9 fresh and with life for the next few years and for the rest of it's natural life so that we can all continue to enjoy the game that revitalized the MK faithful. After all of the moments this game has provided for us, it's earned that much.[/quote]

how can u ban the toasty boast?

The only hope for MK9 is one more balance patch which probably won't happen.
MK10 is already underdevelopment.

I hate Injustice, but I guess we just have to wait.
I'll have SF4 to practice, and I'm getting back into tekken, both tournament competitive
Injustice is a casual game for me.

I really admire the will people have to bring MK9 back to life, but hey, 2+ years is pretty good, 3 times at EVO. etc.

Deitti

Noob
My honest opinion is that MK9s time has come as much as i don't want it.
MKC simply isn't big enough to support this game anymore. Smash community had other things than just pure willpower to support it all these years. Like for example the fact that Melee got around 3 times the players at EVO compared to MK.

Another big thing is that there's really nothing to draw new players to this game. Which itself is reason why the community stays small.
Sure you might get few to join here and there but there's big difference in getting some people to try and getting 100 people to go to tourneys regularily.

New patch would in my opinion help(for several reasons) and bring new and old players back but chance of that happening is very low.

Banning Kabal or resets or stuff like that could possibly help the game short term. But long term? Personally i don't think it would give the game much more life.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
How to 'revive' MK9:

Step 1: support the game at tournaments
Step 2: watch the stream
Step 3: stop whining

No tournament has 'officially' dropped the game yet so wtf is everyone talking about. It is still at tournaments last time I checked. It is as simple as going or supporting the stream. If you don't like to play or watch... Then don't. Spare me your kabal tears

Edit: Was this EVO not one of the best yet? I was hype as all fuck

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
How to revive MK9:

No tournament has 'officially' dropped the game yet so wtf are you talking about. It is still at tournaments. It is as simple as going or supporting the stream. If you don't like to play or watch... Then don't. Spare me your kabal tears
OMG fucking THIS. People need to realize MK9 is a great tournament game as is. Almost every MK tournament is hype and exciting to watch. The only problem is ppl stopping playing it supposedly because of Injustice.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I love the game as is.

Kitana and Lao can fight Kabal.
Kung Lao and Cyrax can fight Kenshi.
Plenty of people can fight Kung Lao.
Plenty of people can fight Cyrax.
Plenty of people can fight Sonya.

Option Box: Play enough people to be prepared for anyone.

(I would absofuckinglutely love a UMK9 though...)

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
How to revive MK9:

No tournament has 'officially' dropped the game yet so wtf are you talking about. It is still at tournaments. It is as simple as going or supporting the stream. If you don't like to play or watch... Then don't. Spare me your kabal tears
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
MK9 is an innately unfinished and generally broken game but Kabal is beatable and Tsung would be pretty ass without the damage boost. It's part of his game much like Cyrax's resets are. Don't ban anything, do work.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
KH StarCharger

I vote for option F)

Unban Kratos.
This.

Honestly banning Kabal would not get me into the game again. It has been 3 years, that is a long ass time for some of us to stick with a game. Sure ill enter in tournies(when money allows) but as far as playing it outside of that I see no reason to.

Some people see people stopped playing MK and automatically assume they dont want to play two games at the same time, when really some of us just dont want to play MK anymore.

So basically you either want to play the game still if you dont. If you want to play the game, then you will ban or not. If you dont want to play the game you wont ban or not.

Somnuse

Noob
I wish people would stop treating Smoke and Cyrax resets the same. Cyrax is so much easier to do and does more damage.

Smoke would need to get buffed a little if they took out his reset.

OMG some of you are reacting a way I feared you'd react to be honest, and it's really sad. This is my opinion on just how I'd think the game would remain safe with tournaments in the future as an inclusion and with better numbers than 20 entrants per major now that EVO (and VXG after today) has passed. If you deny the fact that the game has had fewer and fewer entrants as time has gone on, you're pretty foolish and no doubt with all of the flaming that's going on here, many of you have displayed that ignorant and foolish mentality in spades. I love this game and don't want to see it fail so I was suggesting some things that would help the game's metagame and or balance such that you wouldn't have to bank on an update to help us out. Other top players have discussed this same thing and I wanted to create a poll of suggested themes that would be thought of. And what's even more embarrassing is that ya'll can't read the whole damn thing to see that the last 2 options were called GRAY AREAS!! Meaning that it's debatable but not something that will or could be considered. And I suppose the question mark next to the damage boost glitch mentioning wasn't subtle enough for you scrubs. That said, if you can't read the whole damn post and reply with some sense, then save this thread your ignorance and go elsewhere. Posts like most of the ones above only serve to continue to make our scene look like a joke.