What's new

New Intervention for MK9

Which options would be best to keep MK9 alive and well in tourneys until MK10 or UMK9 drops?

• Total voters
Because your stupid game is no longer a main game and no one will be playing it in a few months (KI, USF4, Marvel update, DoA5:U, TxSF, MK10, Injustice 2 etc.). Change or not, it won't really matter because MK9 will fade into nothingness sooner or later. Changing things a bit at least makes it feel fresh and interesting and can give the game a boost, bring back players, make it more balanced etc. Keeping everything the same is just accelerating its demise.
If you think our game is "Stupid" then why the fuck are you on TYM? You abandoned it like all the others a long time ago, stay out of this thread

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
Can we just make Kanos upball +5 on block and get it over with already. That's what this game really needs.

But in all honesty, banning of any characters won't fix it at this point. Where do the bans stop?
Remove Kabal and then Kenshi runs roughshod.

Remove Kenshi and then Sonya goes ham.

Remove Sonya and then Cyrax poops on the world.

Remove Cyrax and then Freddie goes buckwild.

Remove Freddie and then Cage starts giving out mandatory chest tattoos.

And by the time you're done, every tourney is Sheeva mirrors, and P1 wins 6-4.

I do agree with the reset removal though. I wish there was one more patch where:

Oncr a combo has started Smoke could not throw a second bomb, and Cyrax couldn't throw a second net. Problem solved. But that's dream land and it isn't happening.

All that said, I love this game, and will continue to tourney until it's not an option. It's really simple. If a lot of people play, the game won't die. If people don't play, it will. The power lies with us, not the TO's. Go out, and play the game and it will live.

If you think our game is "Stupid" then why the fuck are you on TYM? You abandoned it like all the others a long time ago, stay out of this thread
You're right: At the end of the day, I don't give a shit and no one should care what I have to say.

But UMK9 isn't happening. NRS currently has their hands full with balancing and testing Injustice DLCs and MK10 pre-production.

Patch or no patch, Kabal ban or not, I'm sure GGA, VSM and other MK9 lovers will find a way to keep it going forever like UMK3. And I'll always enjoy watching guys like Dizzy, 16-Bit and DJT duke it out.

But personally, I can't wait for MK10 and its brand new engine. Bye bye stance button, bye bye random frame data and random armor. Bye bye input drop bugs, meter drain glitch and horrible netcode. Bye bye inescapable resets. Bye bye useless practice mode and horrible 3D hitboxes. You will not be missed.

LEGEND

YES!
Imo, the only way to truly balance this game would require the ban of multiple characters that most of the top players have already put years of work into. That doesn't really sound fair, and still leaves us with all of the problems with the core of the game like input bug and meter drain. . .imo MK9 is beyond saving

If you still have fun playing it then keep playing it

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Why do you care? You don't travel and don't have to deal with him. He may be your character but that doesn't change what he is in MK9. If Shang was truly broken, I would not mind him being banned.
The problem is that it is near impossible to discern whether Kabal is 'truly broken' or just simply the best character in the game being used by the best players (there will always be a best character used by best players). Player skill and character potential become to hard to terse apart. I wouldn't think it is fair to really BAN a character when there is no obvious proof.

It is also not acceptable to ban a character just to 'mix it up' and see what happens....or to attract new players because they are naïvely afraid to signup just to get beat by Kabal or Cyrax. Example: DJ El Toro thinks he could beat Curbo, Jr, REO ect if they didn't use Kabal. People in this community will use anything for a crutch.

I think one possible solution would be to give a (75%) health nerf to Kabal or Cyrax ect... that is something we can easily control at the select screen using the kombat kodes. But banning....maaaan it is too late for that. The game is what it is, and is just easier to support it as much as we can untill MK10 comes out (hopefully soon)

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
The problem is that it is near impossible to discern whether Kabal is 'truly broken' or just simply the best character in the game being used by the best players. Player skill and character potential become to hard to terse apart. I wouldn't think it is fair to really BAN a character when there is no obvious proof.

It is also not acceptable to ban a character just to 'mix it up' and see what happens....or to attract new players because they are naïvely afraid to signup just to get beat by Kabal or Cyrax. Example: DJ El Toro thinks he could beat Curbo, Jr, REO ect if they didn't use Kabal. People in this community will use anything for a crutch.

I think one possible solution would be to give a (75%) health nerf to Kabal or Cyrax ect... that is something we can easily control at the select screen using the kombat kodes. But banning....maaaan it is too late for that. The game is what it is, and is just easier to support it as much as we can untill MK10 comes out (hopefully soon)
I love you.

SatsuiYesHadou

Yung Kneecaps
It's funny that a lot of people still don't know how to fight kabal. You can't just try and go ham and murder him. Denzell made a perfect example of that.

This is what a lot of people look like when they play against kabal. Dj l toro made a perfect example of that

He's broke but there's no reason to ban him. Can't people like detroit, pl, cdjr, reo and curbo just be actually good

The problem is that it is near impossible to discern whether Kabal is 'truly broken' or just simply the best character in the game being used by the best players. Player skill and character potential become to hard to terse apart. I wouldn't think it is fair to really BAN a character when there is no obvious proof.

I nearly forgot about the code for health. This would balance things to a certain extent and quite frankly it would solve a few problems without causing a potentially massive problem (or a potentially massive breakthrough) by removing that character. Overall, something needs to be considered about the game at this point and this may be a fairly generous compromise.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
I nearly forgot about the code for health. This would balance things to a certain extent and quite frankly it would solve a few problems without causing a potentially massive problem (or a potentially massive breakthrough) by removing that character. Overall, something needs to be considered about the game at this point and this may be a fairly generous compromise.
Yeah man...like Akuma has less health. Everyone forgets about this possible handicap. We could trial run it at The Fall Classic or something. (MK is a side tourney there). But really I doubt the results will change much. REO (Often the only Kabal to make top 8) might get 3rd or 4th... he will lose more easily to a Cyrax, Kitana, KungLao or Sonya or something like that. People will still hate though....there is just too much craziness going on in this game to manage.

I will always support MK9 (as I do UMK3) unconditionally.

Edit: Also kind of what K7 said...just ban Rooftop day... who else likes that stage besides Kenshi and Kabal? That should take care of the Kenshi imbalances to

Yeah man...like Akuma has less health. Everyone forgets about this possible handicap. We could trial run it at The Fall Classic or something. (MK is a side tourney there). But really I doubt the results will change much. REO (Often the only Kabal to make top 8) might get 3rd or 4th... he will lose more easily to a Cyrax, Kitana, KungLao or Sonya or something like that. People will still hate though....there is just too much craziness going on in this game to manage.

I will always support MK9 (as I do UMK3) unconditionally.

Edit: Also kind of what K7 said...just ban Rooftop day... who else likes that stage besides Kenshi and Kabal? That should take care of the Kenshi imbalances to

I wonder if it would be fair to also minimize cyrax's health if he's allowed to keep resets... That should be a choice for rax players: either keep your health, but get dq'd for using resets or keep your resets but you have to use the code to give up a 25% handicap. Something worth looking into.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Shit like this is getting annoying man. We've played the same damn game for 3 fucking years, why are people trying to change shit up now?

SFIV, SSFIV, SFIV AE, AE 2012, soon to be AE 2013. People wouldn't still be playing vanilla SFIV after all this time, the game continues to change to this day. It keeps people interested. Since we know NRS isn't going to do anything about it at this point, only the community can. That's the point of this thread. Its a damn shame that NRS stopped supporting the game after what, six months? This is what we got though.

My opinion: No combo exploits and unban Kratos.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Let's lay this out there: only top players are placing with Kabal. Top players are being beaten with Kabal. Community wants to ban Kabal...am I missing something here?

Why not make a...

"NO KABAL" ALLOWED TOURNAMENT?

Instead of perma-banning him from every tournament, just ban him from this one. Of course, this tournament would be the only one true tournament that matters. Since every other tournament would be frauds because of Kabal stealing DJ L Toro from what is rightfully his.

Icebaby

Ice Queen
Why not make a...

Instead of perma-banning him from every tournament, just ban him from this one. Of course, this tournament would be the only one true tournament that matters. Since every other tournament would be frauds because of Kabal stealing DJ L Toro from what is rightfully his.

OMG! Please make a thread about that idea. :p

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Why not make a...

I respect that troll pic lol.

Sami

Noob
I get that. But my point is this:

We have been playing this game faithfully for 3 years now. We know kabal is dumb, yet we still spent hundreds of dollars to play the game. We knew resets and blah were dumb, yet we still spent hundreds of dollars to play the game. Why change it up now? That's what I don't understand.
You're completely missing the point of why these threads appear. Yes, there are players who have continued and probably will continue paying to play. There are a hell of a lot more who dropped the game, and that is what this is about.

How to 'revive' MK9:

Step 1: support the game at tournaments
Step 2: watch the stream
Step 3: stop whining

No tournament has 'officially' dropped the game yet so wtf is everyone talking about. It is still at tournaments last time I checked. It is as simple as going or supporting the stream. If you don't like to play or watch... Then don't. Spare me your kabal tears
A lovely post. Sadly, the final two sentences are exactly what a lot of people did - they didn't like the game and saw crying wasn't going to get any new patches, so they dropped it. And this is why MK tourney entrants and stream views are getting lower and lower.

People who still continue to play and watch the game need to realise why so many people stopped playing and watching it: streams packed with Kabal vs X or Kung Lao vs X, Kenshi (yes there are only a couple of actually good Kenshi players) keeping someone full screen the entire match, any time the Rooftop (Day) was selected as a stage, etc. It was/is boring as fuck to watch and a lot of players were seriously tired of their character being practically useless in some matches, with the only solution to counter-pick with another member of the top 5. Smoke resets are fun to watch simply for the fact that it's not a Kabal/Kenshi/Sonya/Cyrax/Lau winning on screen, and chances are it's one of those characters being reset to hell.

The majority of tourney players enter with no expectation of actually winning it, but enter for fun and to hope to cause a big blow-up. When the semi-pros get bodied time and time again by the same characters, they will stop turning up as it's not fun. Call out those players as much as you want, but they're more than happy playing something else. Like Mahvel.

Hardcore MK9 players who will play the game regardless of any faults/bugs/balance issues telling people to suck it up will not cause those who left to return. The remaining MK9 community needs to decide whether it wants to remain as small and insular as it is now - in which case just keep going the way you are - or actually attempt to expand the community and playerbase, which will require them to take control of the game as NRS won't/can't do anything to support it.

MK9: A game with great mechanics, shit balance, odd bugs and a masochistic community.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Why not make a...

Metzos LOL